First post but I have been reading this forum for awhile and am using Black* on a 8310 v4.5.0.110. Great program. I am wondering if anyone has worked on, or knows of, a fishing log program that uses the GPS to create a log entry when catching fish. For example when you strart the trip you would pull weather data and preload it for the day. When you catch something you click the track ball and it would capture time and location. You could then key in depth and hit tide tables for tide height. If anyone knows of something along these lines please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-22-09 12:29 PM
    First post but I have been reading this forum for awhile and am using Black* on a 8310 v4.5.0.110. Great program. I am wondering if anyone has worked on, or knows of, a fishing log program that uses the GPS to create a log entry when catching fish. For example when you strart the trip you would pull weather data and preload it for the day. When you catch something you click the track ball and it would capture time and location. You could then key in depth and hit tide tables for tide height. If anyone knows of something along these lines please let me know. Thanks in advance.

What is a good website for tide tables? I might be able to add something to BlackStar to help out.
    02-23-09 12:26 AM
    Just to let you know, I love Black*. It is what got me thinking about a fishing version instead of a geocaching version.

This is the online site that I use. Most marine chartplotters and some of the handheld GPS come with the tide tables already loaded. I tried to keep paper logs but I always realized that at the end of the day I forgot to write the info down. To busy fishing.

Here are the high level requirements from a user perspective. I am not expecting you to write this but rather thinking out loud. Program would capture information at the time of fish strike (hit trackball). These records could be loaded to a data base at the end of the trip. You could also geotag photo's to view with info. This information could then be stored an a data base for further review and analysis and loading onto a map/chart to see where you have been successful in the past. The following information would be captured

GPS data
    date, time, lat, lon, speed, direction

Weather data
    temp, wind direction (E, ESE, S), wind speed, pressure, pressure movement(rising/falling), conditions(clear, cloudy, rain Etc), moon phase

Tide data (4 options)
    rising, falling, high tide, low tide. (High and low would be +/- 1 hour from actual)

User input (drop downs, user defined)
    Species caught
    Method
    Lure/bait
    Depth

Over time this data would allow you to see what has worked and where. If you could get several friends populating the same data base you could all share in the data.

Sorry, more data than you asked for.
    Again, thanks for Black*
    02-23-09 01:36 PM
    That would be an amazing program to have. it would be nice if there was a user input option for lure/bait, and species. there are so many kinds of fish and lures/baits/flies that way you could accomidate all types of fishing. this would be good for hunting too i think. if it could have the option to upload to a website that would be huge .
    03-29-09 11:52 PM
    I would do backflips fo an app that does all or even half of this! Thiis would be a great app for those of us that have BBs but can't shell out a bunch of cash for high end gps equipment.
    03-31-09 10:51 AM
    My question, though, is would you be taking your BB fishing and handling it while handling the fish? Personally, I would be too worried about dropping my BB in the lake or getting fish guts in my keyboard.

I am not trying to be flippant, it is a serious inquiry.
    03-31-09 11:05 AM
    I always have my phone with me...even on the lake fishing. Since I got my BB I think I would look into a more secure way to keep it safe on the lake. A simple solution would be a mount on the boat alongside the other electronics. To keep it free from water I believe there are cases that address this. As far as "while handling the fish", I would probably not have my BB in hand at the same time since it can be difficult enough to handle a fish with 2 hands.
    03-31-09 12:19 PM
    LOL My fish guts comment is born from thoughts of handling bait, handling the fish removing hooks, etc. Nobody washes their hands while fishing, it is against the national fishing code
    03-31-09 12:57 PM
    My question, though, is would you be taking your BB fishing and handling it while handling the fish? Personally, I would be too worried about dropping my BB in the lake or getting fish guts in my keyboard.

I am not trying to be flippant, it is a serious inquiry.
    Pelican makes some really good cases for the BB. I kayak fish and I keep my BB in a sealed Pelican. I've teseted it out down to 15 feet (or so) and no leaks.
    03-31-09 01:01 PM
    Wow. That would work for me. I'm generally careful with my expensive items while fishing but I have had to retrieve several items from the bottom of the lake. Back to the guts issue...I fish primarily with artificial baits and lures so there isn't any worm or minnow goop to get on my gear. I can't wait to get out on the water ant mark my hotspots with B*.

04-01-09 06:10 PM
    just put your bb in a ziplock bag when you go fishing and use it through the bag. also works well when its raining.
    04-04-09 06:37 AM
    Good Day!!!

Our Company is reaching out to Bass Clubs & Fishing Enthusiasts across the Country in an attempt to gain marketing research information and interest for a Hand Held Device that would give everyone from the Weekend Warrior Anglers to the Commercial Fisherman the edge while directly on the water.

This product would work on the everyday Cell Phone/Blackberry and would give you the advantage needed to put yourself in position to catch more Fishmore often!!

This is not your everyday Online Fishing Log seen today on the Internetwe can not disclose our secrets, but we can assure you that there is nothing like this on the market(Yet!!) for the price of $20 a year. You can Track/Log Tournamets, Keep & Analyze Recordsboth Private and Public, AI Interface, and much moreall at your fingertips.

If interested in being placed on our continued and growing contact list please reply.

Happy Fishing,

EZFishnLog Co.
    06-22-09 09:59 PM
    I know this thread is old but wanted to see if anything ever came out of this. Think its a great idea!!!!!

-Jay
    12-26-09 06:10 PM
    Any news on this?
    05-20-10 04:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD