If the BB10 platform is soon receiving apps like (similar too) Instagram, Vine, Isis and Snapchat, then how is the OP inaccurate?
    It's like your uncle leaving you a million dollars in his will.... and you find it it is Monopoly money.

The OP left out the (similar too), makes all the difference in the world when it comes to being accurate. And having a viable platform or being the next appliance OS.
    richardat and JeepBB like this.
    10-08-13 08:11 AM
    I think all these reverse engineered apps says more about the quality of devs that we have than merely me-too developers. The fact that we have numerous devs that are talented enough and smart enough to reverse engineer hidden APIs, etc means we can expect even greater things from them soon.
    You should probably do some fact checking. In my first post, I honestly didn't know if the REAL apps had come to the platform, as I tend to avoid the front page here most of the time. I had suspected that they had not come to the platform, as that would be a complete 180 in a short period of time with nothing but bad news to deter them. Now that I realize they are using the reverse engineered APIs, I have some news for you. The devs creating these apps did NOT reverse engineer anything. Whether or not they are actually talented enough to reverse engineer something, I don't know (it doesn't take much with web traffic) but they are certainly not responsible for exposing the APIs for Vine, Instagram, etc.

My description would be more akin to these developers being desperate to make a name for themselves. I had a fully functioning Vine client for BB10 months ago. It didn't have a usable UI, but with a bit of work with the paint brush, would have been totally usable. I refused to release it after seeing how "clone" apps are treated in other app stores. Users HATE them. To actually put out an app like that, which will cause you a ton of headaches as you constantly play cat-and-mouse with the real developers, all the while suffering angry user reviews, can only be described as some kind of desperation.

Every day I'm on here, I'm shocked to see how much more the BB10 situation moves into parallel with the former WebOS and Palm situation. It's absolutely shocking how history can repeat itself like this, with such uncanny analogues like these clone apps being released.
    JeepBB and richardat like this.
    10-08-13 08:11 AM
    If the BB10 platform is soon receiving apps like (similar too) Instagram, Vine, Isis and Snapchat, then how is the OP inaccurate?
    I didn't point to this thread in particular. But it can apply because BlackBerry has made plenty of progress to date. The app selection was impressive at launch, for a platform with then zero market share.
    10-08-13 08:13 AM
    Well, leaving aside the clear implication that the actual apps (rather than similar ones) are on or coming to the platform, the thread title says this is progress. It's not really progress, because BB users have been having to put up with knock-offs since OS 6.

Remember this?

BlackBerry finally making progress with the App situation.-angryfarm.jpg

It all kind of reminds me of that Eddie Murphy routine where he wanted McDonalds like all of the other kids in the neighborhood, but his mother insisted on making him a nasty "house burger."

harlemsfinest27 and JeepBB like this.
    10-08-13 08:28 AM
    It's like your uncle leaving you a million dollars in his will.... and you find it it is Monopoly money.

The OP left out the (similar too), makes all the difference in the world when it comes to being accurate. And having a viable platform or being the next appliance OS.
    'Like' used as an adjective.
    BlackBerry finally making progress with the App situation.-like.jpg
    10-08-13 08:30 AM
    It's fine that you'd rather have a replica of the real thing - that's exactly why getting certain apps to your platform is important. That doesn't mean you need to belittle those who try to generate their own authentic alternatives. While I too would rather have the copy of the mainstream app, I think it's far more noble, and ambitious to generate your own alternative, than to make a grey-area mimic app. So as I said, if anyone should be called a "me too" person, it's the latter. However, as I said, both deserve credit for their efforts.

I am really very surprised that you openly judge the latter to be more praise-worthy. It's actually very troubling to me, however, that is your choice. At the least however, I don't think the other developers deserve your insult.
    k you're just looking for your fight of the day...FYI when I said me-too apps I didn't mean it in a derogatory way. Goodness knows if you even bothered checking out my signature, my own app isn't anything special, and some may call it a me-too app as well.
    10-08-13 08:41 AM
    You should probably do some fact checking. In my first post, I honestly didn't know if the REAL apps had come to the platform, as I tend to avoid the front page here most of the time. I had suspected that they had not come to the platform, as that would be a complete 180 in a short period of time with nothing but bad news to deter them. Now that I realize they are using the reverse engineered APIs, I have some news for you. The devs creating these apps did NOT reverse engineer anything. Whether or not they are actually talented enough to reverse engineer something, I don't know (it doesn't take much with web traffic) but they are certainly not responsible for exposing the APIs for Vine, Instagram, etc.

My description would be more akin to these developers being desperate to make a name for themselves. I had a fully functioning Vine client for BB10 months ago. It didn't have a usable UI, but with a bit of work with the paint brush, would have been totally usable. I refused to release it after seeing how "clone" apps are treated in other app stores. Users HATE them. To actually put out an app like that, which will cause you a ton of headaches as you constantly play cat-and-mouse with the real developers, all the while suffering angry user reviews, can only be described as some kind of desperation.

Every day I'm on here, I'm shocked to see how much more the BB10 situation moves into parallel with the former WebOS and Palm situation. It's absolutely shocking how history can repeat itself like this, with such uncanny analogues like these clone apps being released.
    I'm not the most experienced developer, all I know is that it's a B**ch to get these apps to work with the correct servers, and not every developer can or has the skill to build apps like these. Whether it's true reverse engineering, I still think it's quite impressive and crafty that developers are taking it into their own hands, and as far as I've heard they're all going to be free, so it's not just to make a quick buck.
    harlemsfinest27 likes this.
    10-08-13 08:47 AM
    I... what the... what in the... mother of god... save me... please
    I mean, you're joking, right? This is sarcasm, right? Not an evidence that humanity has fallen so low IQ is a luxury?
    I"m going to assume from these sentences - insults aside - that english is your second language. This may be part of the difficulty which I will address below. Incidently "so low IQ is a luxury?" doesn't make any sense....IQ is simply a metric....a psychological construct - and a controversial one at that.

The apps are NOT, in fact, "me too". Calling them that would be an incredible insult to intelligence in general. These apps are efforts from community member for the community.
    Correct. You are agreeing with me. Note "if anyone should be called a "me too" person, it's the latter. However, as I said, both deserve credit for their efforts."
    They are not another thing that totally looks like Instagram but is actually not, with servers located in Nigeria donated by the High Prince Mbuto Okoye, or maybe yet another puzzle app featuring vertically stretched chinese bikini models. You'll have access to the real deal, because someone does what others couldn't do.
    If you're going to set up your own servers, back-end, business, business model, etc. I'd actually consider that more original, and more commendable. Your final line 'does what others couldn't do." makes no sense to me - in fact, you're using what other people DID do.

What logic did you even use to call those "me too"?
    See answers above, as well as previous posts. It's troubling however that you'd take a very non-specific phrase "me too", and insist somehow that "logic" (how one interprets it has little to do with argument construct logic) dictates something else. It makes me think you will not be able to understand the problem with such an inane argument. In fact, the phrase is extremely open to interpretation - moreso than most. The OP did not define it rigorously, and neither did you. I did not either - but that is because I feel the phrase - belittling as it is - should not be applied to any of these developers, and I felt that most people would, without explanation, agree that "me too" would apply more to the mimic app - simply in terms of being a purposeful derivation of a previous work AND one that relies on the infrastructure of the previous work - thus, as I said it's hard for me to envision anything more "me too" than that.

And what is that "noble" word doing in your paragraph? Because you literally just described Zynga's business model as "noble": Zynga offered their very own alternative to other games, they make games that looks like other games out there right down to the numbers, progression pace and theme, but are totally NOT other games and totally are NOT grey-area mimics that access other games' resources. Noble indeed.
    No. I did not, I suggest you reread my posts. I suggested nothing remotely resembling this. In fact, I did not give specific examples of other developers, I merely referred to those who may try to construct their own solutions to the same problems - there is a great deal of variety in that group - probably more than could be imagined. You have created a rather wild and specific argument in your mind, that you are now attributing to me....it is in fact...a tangent that is so unrelated, it would take....volumes of paragraphs to approach it and deal with it thoroughly.

Oh wait, Zynga just got sued, now it's going down.
    Uh...huh....

Seriously, I agree that they're grey area, they can be shut down at any given time with no warning whatsoever, and you literally can't say "Instagram supports BlackBerry 10", but to belittle them as "me too"
    Again, I advocated that none of these developers be called that. I don't mean to be insulting here out of malice, but if you're going to reply that my IQ is ********, or that my logic is fault, I STRONGLY suggest you read the posts you're replying to CAREFULLY.

and call Zynga's business model as noble is stretching. Very far.
    LOL. Somebody is indeed stretching.

By the way, Windows Phone 8 did what these, *ahem*, as you call them, "me too" devs do.
    Once again, I advocated they NOT be called that - just the opposite in fact.

Go and check for "LINE" in Windows Marketplace, you'll see TWO LINE apps, one by Naver Japan (actual owner), another by Nokia. Naver didn't want to support Windows Phone 8 right away, so Nokia basically made their own, no doubt with cash injection from Microsoft.
    I have no idea why you are now off on a Windows tangent. I never mentioned Windows, and their behavior has no direct relationship with what was being discussed. (note: a more current example would be their youtube battle with Google, that they have just lost). Again, instead of just ranting off on tangents that spring to mind, I'd ask you read my posts carefully, and then reply DIRECTLY to what I'm saying, preferably with quotes - as I am doing for you. I doubt we can have any meaningful discussion with the methodology you are using in this post - as evidenced by the work I'm having to do to sort through it. Thanks!

What I'm very interested at is your train of logic: how you can call mimics noble but trying to access the real deal is "me too".
    Note here that earlier in this post I have been using "mimic" referring to the programmed designed to mimic the original "real deal". We need to keep our terminology consistent either way.

The phrase "me too" to me means "oh hey, yeah I can do something like that too. Not quite THAT but something like that". These apps, they're not "something like that", they're doing "exactly that"
    I'm sorry but this is a rather laughable semantic nonsense. Again, it stems from the lack of rigorous definition. Where to start....

OK, your first phrase, "me too" means "oh hey, yeah I can do something like that too. Not quite THAT...." contains the crux of your objection, that they are not doing "exactly that". This of course, is false. "me too" does not in any way imply that their be differentiation between the two behaviors/objects. IN FACT, it actually claims the opposite that in fact it is THE SAME.....me too...the same applies to me.

Second, regardless of definition -reversed implication or not, one must then define exactly what is being compared. This could be any number of things: code, function, infrastructure, intention, originality of idea....

Obviously the code will differ for both, the function, will, by definition be designed to be similar, but of course, the mimic (as I have been using it) program will actually be IDENTICAL (assuming it is full-featured). Again, by the definition of "me too" which I advocate, it becomes much more representative of that label. In infrastructure, well of course, again, no comparison, as one is IDENTICAL (and in fact the very same embodiment) for the mimic program - so once again, closer to "me too". In terms of intention and originality of idea - well I think I need not elaborate there - again, much closer - in fact, identical - and thus the very definition of "me too".

If you understood this, then I think you will see clearly why I would most certainly label the mimic "me too", of course, your definition was quite different (though, again, I believe strangely counter to the accepted meaning), and it really does not matter, since, for the final time, I did not advocate any program be called "me too", but instead called for neither to be labeled in that way. This was not due to any specific definition - as that was not provided - but rather on the fact that it was unmistakably used as a pejorative, and I do not feel any of those developers deserving of that, thus, I agreed with the poster to which I responded that it was a "cheap shot".

If you have further questions, I will attempt to elaborate further, but please, as I mentioned above, if you have a sincere wish to discuss this, respect my posts by quoting small passages, and addressing them directly, as I have done for you. I have done my best to address your posts and tangents with a reasonable amount of diligence, but we cannot continue along this manner with any hope of logical flow.
    10-08-13 08:47 AM
    k you're just looking for your fight of the day...
    Actually no, young man, I simply agreed with the other poster - I feel your belittlement of the developers was a "cheap shot" and I stand by that. It was you who then responded, which forced me to further elaborate - rather politely I should say - giving you the benefit of the doubt. I think your response here clearly demonstrates who was simply looking for yet another quick snipe at somebody.
    10-08-13 08:52 AM
    I'm not the most experienced developer, all I know is that it's a B**ch to get these apps to work with the correct servers, and not every developer can or has the skill to build apps like these. Whether it's true reverse engineering, I still think it's quite impressive and crafty that developers are taking it into their own hands, and as far as I've heard they're all going to be free, so it's not just to make a quick buck.
    No, no it's not.

Just one example:
    https://github.com/starlock/vino/wiki/API-Reference
    richardat likes this.
    10-08-13 09:00 AM
    No, no it's not.

Just one example:
    https://github.com/starlock/vino/wiki/API-Reference
    Yea that's Vine, I know about Vino, but I have yet to see one for Instagram or snap chat. You also just said it was hard to do and that the servers could change at any moment, etc and now you're acting like it's super easy lol. K maybe these devs aren't the next napster ceos, but **** man lighten up. They're doing something that's brought some excitement to the forums, and nobody's kidding themselves into thinking other parties like BlackBerry or instagram can't shut them down.

Posted via CB10
    10-08-13 09:06 AM
    Yea that's Vine, I know about Vino, but I have yet to see one for Instagram or snap chat. You also just said it was hard to do and that the servers could change at any moment, etc and now you're acting like it's super easy lol. K maybe these devs aren't the next napster ceos, but **** man lighten up. They're doing something that's brought some excitement to the forums, and nobody's kidding themselves into thinking other parties like BlackBerry or instagram can't shut them down.

Posted via CB10
    I never said it was hard to implement, I said it's a PITA to play cat-and-mouse with Instagram, Vine, etc. while using unofficial APIs. You claimed these "clone" developers were talented because you thought they reverse engineered the apps. Now you claim you knew about the reverse-engineered APIs existing before? You really need to get your facts straight.

As for this "and nobody's kidding themselves into thinking other parties like BlackBerry or instagram can't shut them down"...you VASTLY underestimate the average mentality and understanding of software here on Crackberry.

Oh, and here's a bit of unofficial instagram goodness for you.
    https://github.com/mislav/instagram/wiki
    richardat likes this.
    10-08-13 09:24 AM
    I never said it was hard to implement, I said it's a PITA to play cat-and-mouse with Instagram, Vine, etc. while using unofficial APIs. You claimed these "clone" developers were talented because you thought they reverse engineered the apps. Now you claim you knew about the reverse-engineered APIs existing before? You really need to get your facts straight.

As for this "and nobody's kidding themselves into thinking other parties like BlackBerry or instagram can't shut them down"...you VASTLY underestimate the average mentality and understanding of software here on Crackberry.

Oh, and here's a bit of unofficial instagram goodness for you.
    https://github.com/mislav/instagram/wiki
    I honestly don't know why the fantastic two are getting mad that I said native development was easier than reverse engineering and app, then the other is getting mad because I think making these snap chat clients is hard LOL I don't know if it's because you're jealous or upset that these devs are trying to make a name for themselves, but w.e have a good day. All good things come in threes, I'm just waiting for Hybrid to come in and join the fun too.

Posted via CB10
    10-08-13 09:31 AM

Posted via CB10
    Many are kidding themselves (like the OP) into believing that this is a solution. As "mikeo007" stated, users don't really like and in some cases don't trust knock-off applications.

Yes it is better than not having anything, but it is far from the solution that BlackBerry needs and I'm not even sure you could really call it progress. Will it reinforce in the developers mind that BlackBerry is not a platform they want to be involved with? Will it sell more devices, when users learn that there is no Instagram app, but we do have an InstaPic app?
    richardat likes this.
    10-08-13 09:33 AM
    Lel. Dev of Snappy here. I'm not making this for any reason other than to help out the app situation and hopefully encourage Snapchat to release an official app. I don't even use snapchat myself, but I know a lot of people who do. So yeah... the people complaining: you're wrong and your assumptions are dumb. and Mike007, instead of claiming you have a Vine app, how about you show some proof and stop being so critical of everything. If I knew your snapchat username I'd block you from using my app.

Edit: I should say I don't see myself as a great Dev. I'm just trying to help the BlackBerry community. If you don't believe me that's fine.

Join the Surge Co. BBM Channel! C001213C9, follow @surgecoapps on Twitter for the latest news!
    ital1 and Brandon Orr like this.
    10-08-13 09:33 AM
    Lel. Dev of Snappy here. I'm not making this for any reason other than to help out the app situation and hopefully encourage Snapchat to release an official app. I don't even use snapchat myself, but I know a lot of people who do. So yeah... the people complaining: you're wrong and your assumptions are dumb. and Mike007, instead of claiming you have a Vine app, how about you show some proof and stop being so critical of everything. If I knew your snapchat username I'd block you from using my app.

Edit: I should say I don't see myself as a great Dev. I'm just trying to help the BlackBerry community. If you don't believe me that's fine.

Join the Surge Co. BBM Channel! C001213C9, follow @surgecoapps on Twitter for the latest news!
    Don't even acknowledge his supremacy, he hath a vine client that was built months ago. Because, you know, he was afraid it would look bad, kinda like if somebody bashed BlackBerry on every thread they touched lol...

Mike god bless you, I think we all know you truly want BlackBerry to do well, but sometimes you gotta let the love out!

Posted via CB10
    ddddafadf likes this.
    10-08-13 09:38 AM
    and Mike007, instead of claiming you have a Vine app, how about you show some proof and stop being so critical of everything. If I knew your snapchat username I'd block you from using my app.
    Search the forums, there was a thread about it at some point.
    Oh, and don't worry about blocking me, I wouldn't dare use your sad knock-off of an app when I could use an official client on a supported platform. Very professional of you though, attempting to hard code your app to block users that make you mad on the internet. That's classic.

Anyway, I'm done with this thread. I thought this was actual news about actual big name apps coming to the platform. Guess I should know better by now than to be suckered in by thread titles. Enjoy your almostInstagram, sortaSnapchat, notquiteVine, etc. Call my when the 3rd party devs start releasing reverse engineered banking apps, cause that would be super too.
    garnok, richardat, JeepBB and 2 others like this.
    10-08-13 09:39 AM
    Oh, and don't worry about blocking me, I wouldn't dare use your sad knock-off of an app when I could use an official client on a supported platform. Very professional of you though, attempting to hard code your app to block users that make you mad on the internet. That's classic.
    That's a low blow man....

Posted via CB10
    10-08-13 09:43 AM

Anyway, I'm done with this thread. I thought this was actual news about actual big name apps coming to the platform. Guess I should know better by now than to be suckered in by thread titles. Enjoy your almostInstagram, sortaSnapchat, notquiteVine, etc. Call my when the 3rd party devs start releasing reverse engineered banking apps, cause that would be super too.
    It isn't "almost" instagram, or "almost" snapchat. It IS exactly those apps.... glad you're done with this thread though!

Brandon Orr likes this.
    10-08-13 09:45 AM
    Getting my q10 I knew that blackberry didn't have very many big name apps but I didn't really care because I knew you could sideload the apps. But I'm glad they are finally getting native app like instagram, vine, Isis and snapchat.

Posted via CB10
    coming soon? that sounds familiar...
    10-08-13 09:56 AM
    God forbid someone makes an alternative app that's wanted by the masses...and then goes on to add even more features that're not even available on the official app (see iGrann).
    10-08-13 10:20 AM
    People don't want alternatives, they want the REAL S#IT.
    Typically, yes but there are cases when the copies are better.
    e.g. Blaq.
    10-08-13 10:22 AM
    I don't care about the name of the app. If It uploads posts like the official app then that's all that matters. Take Instago for example if they would just let you upload photos and videos then it would be better than instagram. Its like getting an off brand item at the store. Its the same exact sh!+ just a different name. It doesn't really bother me.

Posted via CB10
    Brandon Orr likes this.
    10-08-13 11:55 AM
    God forbid someone makes an alternative app that's wanted by the masses...and then goes on to add even more features that're not even available on the official app (see iGrann).
    iGrann is more full featured than the real deal? I didn't know that. In what way(s)?
    10-08-13 12:48 PM
    iGrann is more full featured than the real deal? I didn't know that. In what way(s)?
    Since it's still an unreleased app, I won't list stuff and contradict the dev. With that said, he is active on the thread and responds to questions and feature requests. For example, the ability to choose themes and interface, and some other customizations will be included in the app (that's only thus far...you can follow the thread for more info).

As I said, it's a work in progress app, however it's very prejudice to just dismiss all alternative apps and say that dev's are going for popularity and "me too" status. These aren't junk apps, they are putting time and effort into it.
    10-08-13 04:04 PM
66 123