Ok, so first and foremost, i messed up... i tried to the turn the phone on.. (i know it can short circuit it), then took the battery off.. i took the phone completely apart and i started to blow dry because someone at my work suggested it.. i put it on low and didnt do it any longer than 5 mins.. (water blows further into system, i know bad news) then i stumbled upon the rice trick.. i used the rice trick, took my battery out and put it in the rice... it's been 36 hours and the phone works but the keyboard and the trackball does not work..

i decided to put it in without the faceplate, so it's the bare phone.. is this a good idea or should i try something else?
    ive read somewhere someone said to use 99% alcohol and to wash it gently with it?

btw the phone dropped in dirty pipe water at my work.. the water is full of mold and dirt because it's a bar.

thanks!
    08-02-10 07:51 PM
    Sick...
    Try rubbing alcohol I think.

Someone confirm this please.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-02-10 08:05 PM
    I don't suggest rubbing alcohol. Do you have insurance?
    You can get a replacement just by paying deductible call Assurion if you have ins
    And you will have to send them your damaged phone
    Good luck

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-03-10 12:46 AM
    i bought it second hand a while ago, so a replacement with insurance is out of the question Im just trying to hold out till i can get my hands on the 9800
    08-03-10 02:01 AM
    I think it's ok to take it out of the rice now.

Posted via CB10
    08-08-13 02:32 AM
    Using rice to dry electronics is a stupid heuristic myth.

You should have used Disicant Silica gel.

Posted via CB10
    08-08-13 08:52 AM
    Using rice to dry electronics is a stupid heuristic myth.

You should have used Disicant Silica gel.

Posted via CB10
    But it works...

Posted via CB10
    08-08-13 09:40 AM
    I think it's ok to take it out of the rice now.

Posted via CB10
    Your, sir will all of the Internets!

C0001BBF0 - BlackBerry 10 help channel.
    08-08-13 09:45 AM
    But it works...

Posted via CB10
    It "works" very poorly; in the long run will cause problems for your phone or electronic devices.

First rice is actually pretty bad at absorbing moisture. It's ok for absorbing humidity (such as placing some rice in a salt shaker to prevent the salt from sticking together). realistically you need heat and agitation for it to absorb water.

That's why you cook rice instead of leaving it to soak in water.

Second rice breaks down into mush when wet. Any water absorbed from your phone will also leave behind starchy food residue in your electronic device.

With a phone this is especially bad because of all the bacteria your phone collects from you using it. The main worry is the bacteria from your mouth.

Phones are perfect breeding grounds for the same bacteria that rot your teeth. It's dark, warm and now has a supply of food thanks to you plunking in rice. The acid that the bacteria produce can rot the inside of your phone just as well as the inside of your mouth.

Third you'd get the same drying effect if you just leave your phone sitting in a dry area as your would placing it in a bowl of rice. It really is terrible at absorbing water.

Fourth, all new electronics come with packets of disicant Silica gel. Not packets of rice. Why? Because rice is bad at absorbing liquids.

Use some commun sense ffs and don't trust a food product to save your phone. It's a stupid heuristic myth and it does not work.

Posted via CB10
    STV0726 likes this.
    08-08-13 10:54 AM
    Dehumidifier!

Posted via CB10
    08-08-13 10:57 AM
    It "works" very poorly; in the long run will cause problems for your phone or electronic devices.

First rice is actually pretty bad at absorbing moisture. It's ok for absorbing humidity (such as placing some rice in a salt shaker to prevent the salt from sticking together). realistically you need heat and agitation for it to absorb water.

That's why you cook rice instead of leaving it to soak in water.

Second rice breaks down into mush when wet. Any water absorbed from your phone will also leave behind starchy food residue in your electronic device.

With a phone this is especially bad because of all the bacteria your phone collects from you using it. The main worry is the bacteria from your mouth.

Phones are perfect breeding grounds for the same bacteria that rot your teeth. It's dark, warm and now has a supply of food thanks to you plunking in rice. The acid that the bacteria produce can rot the inside of your phone just as well as the inside of your mouth.

Third you'd get the same drying effect if you just leave your phone sitting in a dry area as your would placing it in a bowl of rice. It really is terrible at absorbing water.

Fourth, all new electronics come with packets of disicant Silica gel. Not packets of rice. Why? Because rice is bad at absorbing liquids.

Use some commun sense ffs and don't trust a food product to save your phone. It's a stupid heuristic myth and it does not work.

Posted via CB10
    No need for a breakdown detailing on such thing. The rice method has worked for many ppl out there, including myself. If it works, why complain? I don't see it damaging the product any farther, the method works and that's all it matters

Posted via CB10
    08-08-13 11:22 AM
    Zombie thread, say goodnight, Gracie.

*double-tap*
    pantlesspenguin and Elite1 like this.
    08-08-13 11:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD