It would seem there here in the states there is as much of a following of blackberry haters as there is fanboys. Every product, intellectual property, band, or whatever is going to have its fanboys or groupies or whatever you want to call them. What inspires haters though and why does RIM have an inordinant amount of them in the states?

There are people whom you would think were on payroll to be a RIM hater. I wonder why it persists here in the states so much when the phones are very popular or at the least not despised elsewhere.
    Clinto likes this.
    11-16-11 10:35 AM
    IMO a good question, but I think a fairly simple answer: either for personal reasons (financial, employment, status) or to justify an earlier purchase.

No one wants to cheer for a phone that's either not making them money or losing them money. Also, no one wants to say that they just spent $200+ on something just as good as they had before and/or less "cool" then what all their other friends have.

Honestly, how can someone hate a device at all? I might not like some of the ways Android does things, but I'm not about to bash it. There's a lot to like about most of the phones out there right now.
    Blacklatino likes this.
    11-16-11 11:52 AM
    People just seem to get passionate about what they want and expect out of certain things, like their cars, cable service, computers, restaurants, and cell phones. And let's not even mention government right now. Some of those expectations are reasonable, some not so much. I'm active on a couple of different forums (dedicated to Honda motorcycles and MINI Coopers), and I've seen the same kinds of sentiments there as well, sometimes not as bad as what we see here, but sometimes worse,but almost always about something that should be relatively innocuous. It happens when you get so many people representing such diverse backgrounds and preferences in one place; you're bound to see stronger personalities emerge on every side of a topic or argument. Compound that with the relative anonymity of the internet, and some people feel a little more emboldened than they ordinarily would. Most of them are not really haters, they've just dug in their heels supporting their own ideas and opinions. We all need to remember that we're each just one of over three million individuals all converged in this one little ciber-meeting place, all with our own individual wants, needs and points of view.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-16-11 12:02 PM
    Having recently looked into WP, WPCentral has nothing even close to the hating that goes on here. It seems non existent actually. While I have not spent much time at TiPB or AndroidCentral, I have looked a few times. TiPB has a little, but nothing like here either. AndroidCentral is mostly hating each other with a little BB and iPhone hating thrown in for good measure. lol This site by far is the most polarized from what I've seen!
    11-16-11 12:09 PM
    I agree with 18to7fiddy's assessment and have also seen it on audio and music sites I frequent, but not anywhere near the level of mobile device sites. And not just Crackberry. I am interested in the mobile market and also visit Andriod and iOS sites and the word "hatred" best describes the treatment and posts. Not all mind you and in fact a small percentage, but when they come out it is intense.
    11-16-11 12:10 PM
    At one time BlackBerry was THE smartphone. People that owned them were often passionate about them and sometimes their behavior was out of the ordinary...like walking and texting, emailing and answering calls during meals...you know, the stuff normal people would never do. Maybe the hate is a reaction to BBers love for their devices. Part of the hate seems to be due to the joy of kicking someone when they are down. (Let's face it, BlackBerry has had better days and has some work to do to stay viable against the smartphone players) And franklly, part of the hate is fanned by their own fandom in their own device of choice. And a lot of the hate is plain ignorance.

It all seems silly to me. I love my BlackBerry and am so pleased I moved to one from my WP6.5 device. I like the ease of customization. I like the security. I like how the menu system works. I love having a physical keyboard and a touchscreen. But because I love my device doesn't mean that I don't see the value in someone else's device...its just not for me. The ones I have tried don't meet my needs and the main need is touchscreen and physical qwerty keyboard.
    11-16-11 12:52 PM
    Fanboys are haters, on all sides. They're super annoying. Each platform has em.
    11-16-11 01:12 PM
    I think haters are ESPECIALLY those who felt left out when their 'chosen' platform was not respected, and then see chinks in the armour... so those who never owned a blackberry because they couldn't afford them or just didn't understand (even while the devices were getting a lot of positive media attention) now feel "vindicated" and are riding a wave of something similar to "I told you so!".
    tack likes this.
    11-16-11 01:47 PM
    I'll tell you about my story; as I used to be a hard-core RIM hater. I never got involved in the forums because i f'ing hated RIM so bad. My first BB was a Storm 1. It was so god awful due to glitching, seizing up, taking forever to do anything, couldn't even play Youtube videos.. the list went on and on. Then I saw my friends i-phones and they seemingly did it all. Then the android phones came out and they even had flash!! So they could view almost any video on the internet. Then as soon as the Storm 2 came out, I thought; there! They must have fixed all the bugs and i can love my phone again. Nope! I spent another couple hundred bucks and it was for nothing. I think the Storm 2 was even worse than the Storm 1. It sucked in every way.. It couldn't even make phone calls.. I would call people, the phone would shut itself down and I'd lose the call. And I'd have to wait 5 mins for it to restart itself!! It couldn't email w/o glitching, text, call, surf the web or seemingly do anything w/o glitching somehow. I hated that p.o.s. phone.

But my work only sync'd info to BBerry's so i had no choice. I had to stay with RIM...

But a funny thing happened. As of 1/1/12 they are now allowing Android and I-phones too at work. But... RIM just had to go and roll out the new Bold 9930 and guess what happened?? I actually decided against the i-phone and Droid phones and bought the sexy 9930. Now I shut my mouth and stopped hating on RIM and now I am an advocate of the awesomeness of Blackberry.

So there you go... I think a lot, a lot of people (like me) had terrible experiences with pre-OS 7 BB's, switched to Apple or Android and now they are full on BB haters.

That's my opinion anyway... I hope this helps you see where others are coming from.

RIM has a lot of work to do to bring people back. I think they're on the right track... And that BBX had better be everything that we are hoping for to get RIM back in black again. Cuz if it's not the hating will go on in a major way...But I honestly think RIM is taking their time and they are not gonna screw BBX up, I think its gonna kick @$$!! And haters will be silenced!
    11-16-11 01:50 PM
    Chrisy has hit the nail on its head.
    Imagine someone coming up with a Nokia on these forums, and all the BB, iPhone and Android fans will laugh them out.
    After getting involved in one too many arguments on the BB vs iPhone and Android debates ( and a warning from the mods), I have learnt to relax and let people enjoy their devices.
    On this forum my prime interest is to share info and experiences about BB with other BB owners.
    I love what the BB does for me and I enjoy it. For others it may not be enough and that's fine. To each his own.
    I can't see myself switching to the iPhone as its too unintuitive and take a multitude of swipes to get anywhere. I'm highly tech enabled yet the iPhone is very frustrating for me. But thats me. For others it might be perfect.
    Frankly, I find the Android platform to be very intuitive. My wife has an Android, and I can just pick it up and find my way around it. Things work the way they should.
    Again this is just my personal opinion and just because I find this to be true doesn't mean that others should adhere to my fanboy mentality and be abused for their lack of adherence to my views.
    Last edited by sam_b77; 11-16-11 at 02:09 PM.
    Chrisy and msmara like this.
    11-16-11 01:59 PM
    @Clinto,
    I feel you buddy. The Storm line was frustrating enough to make the most ardent BB fan chuck it all away. If it hadn't been for the 8800 which I owned before the Storm, I would have thrown BB into the gutter.
    However, for me RIM retained me as a customer when they replaced my Storm with a brand new 9700 eight months after I purchased the Storm.
    I wrote a few stinkers to RIM and their distributers in India and they simply replaced the Storm for the 9700 for no extra charge. I had a good enough case as well as they had to replace the Storm twice for a faulty screen. When it happened on the third device, I sent them a stinker of an e-mail asking for my money back. Their reply "How can we make it up to you". And I asked them to take back the replacement Storm and give me a 9700.
    They did that. No questions asked. Got a call from the local RIM office telling me my 9700 was ready for pickup.
    Last edited by sam_b77; 11-16-11 at 02:11 PM.
    11-16-11 02:07 PM
    I think, A lot of the times, it's to justify a purchase.
    It's kinda sad when you think about it. people care that much about what others think about them.. Poor kids..
    Jake Storm and Deu2e like this.
    11-16-11 02:16 PM
    Fanboys are haters, on all sides. They're super annoying. Each platform has em.
    I'm a super fanboy.

I don't hate Android or iOS.. (It's not called Droid you guys)

In fact, My addiction to mobile technology started with...
    *Gulp. Don't kill me.
    iOS.
    Because they had Tap Tap Revenge.

I defend any platform that is taking a hit from someone to be honest.

I just can't stand narrow-minded people. Even if they are rooting for BlackBerry.
    Last edited by Deathcommand; 11-16-11 at 02:20 PM.
    zc1 likes this.
    11-16-11 02:18 PM
    I'm a super fanboy.

I don't hate Android or iOS.. (It's not called Droid you guys)

In fact, My addiction to mobile technology started with...
    *Gulp. Don't kill me.
    iOS.
    Because they had Tap Tap Revenge.

I defend any platform that is taking a hit from someone to be honest.

I just can't stand narrow-minded people. Even if they are rooting for BlackBerry.
    You like rooting for the underdog. You must be British .
    11-16-11 02:24 PM
    You like rooting for the underdog. You must be British .
    I'm Korean, But youre close.

I just don't like narrow Minded people. If they have good reasons not to like it, Fine.

If they say something sucks? Obviously not, because they are selling.
    11-16-11 02:42 PM
    I'm Korean, But youre close.

I just don't like narrow Minded people. If they have good reasons not to like it, Fine.

If they say something sucks? Obviously not, because they are selling.
    Korean eh? I love Korean Beef Barbecue. First thing I seek out when I visit Seoul. Awesome. I just can't use Korean chopsticks. Too thin. The Chinese ones are easier.
    11-16-11 02:48 PM
    i'm caught inbetween. i enjoy many things about my bb such as message consolidation, good battery life (well for my previous 9700 at least) etc.

what is moving me to the hate side is the way they handled the playbook and the false promises etc. i hate the way they run their business and use loyal consumers as a means to test "bbx". i hate how i completely cannot trust anything they say anymore and i hate how aloof they are even in the face of rapidly declining market share (note, market share not absolute numbers).

in conclusion, the playbook is solely responsible for my hate towards rim and the reason why i probably will not purchase another rim product.
    11-16-11 05:50 PM
    Hate is a strong word too. Frustration is more like it. I do think fan boys are blind to their chosen platforms fault. Which is cool. It's like when you are, or think you are, in love and you choose to not see the flaws in another. To me, that's not very logical, reasonable, intelligent wise or healthy.

But, hey, I've done it too! I do make an effort to be reasonable and try to understand all sides.

Really, all platforms have specific cons and they ALL have things that suck hard. Denying either isn't reality.

Still, I love a good debate between the logical and the extemeists alike.
    11-16-11 06:09 PM
    Hate is a strong word too. Frustration is more like it. I do think fan boys are blind to their chosen platforms fault.
    Once again, I consider myself a fanboy.
    But I understand my device of choice's Flaw and don't hesitate to point them out to people when they ask if they should get a BlackBerry.
    11-16-11 07:47 PM
    Then you're not a true Fan Boi.
    11-16-11 08:02 PM
    Having recently looked into WP, WPCentral has nothing even close to the hating that goes on here. It seems non existent actually. While I have not spent much time at TiPB or AndroidCentral, I have looked a few times. TiPB has a little, but nothing like here either. AndroidCentral is mostly hating each other with a little BB and iPhone hating thrown in for good measure. lol This site by far is the most polarized from what I've seen!
    Have you looked at precentral? Like crackberry, that site splits into ardent fans of WebOs and the not so ethusiastic (or at least it did until HP killed WebOS). Some of the less positive positive posters were former PalmOS fanboys. And some probably just felt the WebOS fans were in denial and wanted to point it out.

Some of the same dynamic is on this site except of course that the RIM equivalent of PalmOS is still around and no one knows when the replacement will arrive.

In many ways RIM is the most interesting story in mobile tech now. webOS is dead and the other platforms are a bit predictable. Even WP7 is not under any serious threat. MS will just keep pumping money in.
    11-16-11 08:43 PM
    Then you're not a true Fan Boi.
    D:.

I'm not a blind fanboy. :P
    11-16-11 08:48 PM
    "fanboys" are just like people supporting their local football team they have grown to love. Same goes with devices. Most don;t focus on company issues, just the device features and that is that. Most don't have civil debates because, again it's just like their favorite sports team. They ROCK and there is nothing else better.

Now, that's not to say that people can love what works best for them. It is their device as a matter of fact. If it works for them, good. It does not have to work well for everyone else.

Now "Haters"......

I would not call them 'Haters" as most frustrated users are that frustrated.......

They try to point out info, interact in debates on devices and frustrated that others don't listen to what they are saying, THEY WANT PEOPLE TO LISTEN.

Well....... People don't have to listen, especially when it's negative. No matter what carrier, device, OS, app, case, etc. No two minds will always think alike. It's nature....

But slapping the name on someone as a hater because they don't agree with you and you will try everything you can to make them think the way you do, IMO is just a waste of time. It's okay they don't have to like what you do. They don't have to support what you support.

Everything has it's flaws, nothing is perfect. Let's enjoy technology and try and help improve it. Let's help each other. There are a lot of new users here and other SPE sites looking for help. Let's step up to the plate and give users a warm welcome and get there devices setup so they can use them effectively in their lives.

But taking out ones aggression towards someone else is just plain disrespectful. It's a piece of metal, glass, and plastic, with a battery in it. We use our phones more then ever these days we become personally attached to them and if anyone says anything bad about it, we lash out.

Why?

I have been trying to figure that out myself.
    up488, zc1, K Bear and 2 others like this.
    11-16-11 08:52 PM

Why?

I have been trying to figure that out myself.
    Materialistic Society.
    We want justification for what we buy.
    Affection from the other party.
    Anger from the other party.

Many many reasons I can probably make up but am too lazy to.
    11-16-11 09:16 PM
    I don't hate on any platform.
    I don't bash any platform or smart/feature/basic phone.
    I don't hate/bash anybody for using any phone for that matter. It's their choice and right what to choose and use. They also have the right to their opinions, thoughts, expressions and freedom of speech too.

Just my opinion, being the peaceful guy I am.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    up488 and moiselles like this.
    11-17-11 01:39 AM
77 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD