No matter what people said, I want BlackBerry dead! Right now! Kill it! Whatever words being used, bottom line is, I - want - BlackBerry - dead! Now! Tomorrow! Next week! Two months from now! End of this year! whatever! Don't try to keep it running, I want it dead!

/metrolling

Sent from my Smartfren Tab 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    07-08-13 01:00 PM
    No matter what people said, I want BlackBerry dead! Right now! Kill it! Whatever words being used, bottom line is, I - want - BlackBerry - dead! Now! Tomorrow! Next week! Two months from now! End of this year! whatever! Don't try to keep it running, I want it dead!

/metrolling

I don't want them dead, I just want them to honor what the CEO of BlackBerry regarding the PlayBook getting a "upgrade" to the BB10 OS or variant.
    BlackBerry Failing? NO WAY.-rim-roadmap-2013-tvi.jpg

Bought $4,000 worth of PlayBooks and accessories @ retail based upon the CEO stating such.

With 3.1 billion in cash?, being debit free they should make good on that.

07-08-13 11:24 PM
    Remember when Apple was practically going bankrupt? Yea... companies can overcome.

Sent from my BB10 smartphone.
    that was the exception not the norm. The climate of competition was also much different then.
    07-09-13 10:55 AM
    Real reason they canceled the update: They only led people on about the update so they could CLEAR WAREHOUSES FULL of DEAD STOCK. Once they reduced the levels down to a manageable level all of the sudden after waiting months, upon months with NO word on what's going on... Then they say BB10 OS won't be coming to the PlayBook.... NOR, and this is IMPORTANT...
    Not quite. That was the real reason they pretended since last winter that B10 was coming to the PlayBook. I've no doubt that the real reason it was cancelled is that the PlayBook doesn't have enough RAM for it.

That much was obvious as a stumbling block to technically minded people from the the point that people got their hands on a Z10 and saw how much RAM BB10 consumed before they'd even started using it for anything.

As for how much effort BlackBerry put in to making BB10 work on PlayBook we may never know. Unless somebody within BlackBerry quits their job and speaks out. There are stories that internally BlackBerry employees are not happy about the jilted PlayBook situation either.

Posted via CB10
    07-09-13 02:13 PM
    Bought $4,000 worth of PlayBooks and accessories @ retail based upon the CEO stating such.
    bp3dots, Blacklatino and JeepBB like this.
    07-09-13 02:26 PM

/metrolling

Al Capone quote, sort of?
    Blacklatino likes this.
    07-09-13 03:04 PM
    If BlackBerry has $3.1B or is worth 3.1B and no debt

Why did they go back on their WORD about the update to BB10 OS for the PlayBook?
    "Official" reason= PB doesn't have enough ram ( I bet they discovered that 9 months ago)

Real reason they canceled the update: They only led people on about the update so they could CLEAR WAREHOUSES FULL of DEAD STOCK. Once they reduced the levels down to a manageable level all of the sudden after waiting months, upon months with NO word on what's going on... Then they say BB10 OS won't be coming to the PlayBook.... NOR, and this is IMPORTANT... When the CEO came out and said the BB10 OS would not be coming to the PlayBook 2013-06-28 there was NO mention of ANY types of updates to the OS to fix issues that have been dragging on since the products release, or "variations" of the BB10 OS are forthcoming that would allow access to BB10 app eco-system.

Now I know what you BB10 owners are going to say:

1:You have no proof they knew BB10 OS wouldn't run on the PlayBook and they keep that to themselves for many months -waiting till the dead inventory was reduced to manageable levels, using the excuse they have been working on the BB10 OS update for the PlayBook "real" hard, and only recently came to the conclusion it couldn't be done. Do you guys have any proof this is not the case? Additionally, do you have any proof of the man-hours put in the project? How many people had been assigned? How many teams? What was their expertise level?

2: "Good"- Now they can fix the problems on "my phone" but leading people on for several months... 9 months?... and many months, upon months prior to that on basic updates to the OS and the core apps which they never did really fix... then saying they are basically killing the device is outright shameful.

Especially if they're sitting on 3.1 Billion dollars. Says alot about a company to go back on statements that generated interest in a product that previously wasn't selling, the warehouses get cleared out of dead inventory, and then they say the upgrade is being cancelled.

PS: Wonder if the CEO who said the BB10 OS was coming to the PlayBook in any way profited from all that dead inventory they moved? Eh?
    As certain realizations become crystal to others, I go back to BlackBerry, the words of encouragement about things to come, the will do better, the revamped(yeah, ok) advertising, the sacrifices made by those that are no longer employed there, etc.... I 'll stop there, but, I could go on. I don't see BlackBerry selling millions upon millions in the UK, India, etc,..... If that were the case, after two years with nothing new, production would/should have a hard time keeping up with the demand. So, I truly hope that was not the plan while allowing the US carriers to downplay BlackBerries here in the US. Also, at this point, Thorsten should let someone else do the interviews because until something positive happens, anything said will be reviewed under a "bigger" microscope.
    07-13-13 01:02 PM

/metrolling

Why not just ignore them and not care one way or the other about them? Lose much on their stock?
    07-13-13 01:17 PM
    Not quite. That was the real reason they pretended since last winter that B10 was coming to the PlayBook. I've no doubt that the real reason it was cancelled is that the PlayBook doesn't have enough RAM for it. ...snip
    Wasn't the battle cry QNX can run on anything? Its scalable? What exactly happened here that all of a sudden you need more RAM? What the h@ll was added that makes 1gb or ram insufficient?
    bekkay likes this.
    07-13-13 01:38 PM
    QNX might well be scaleable, but the problem may lie in RAM and apps. This article is an excellent read on the subject of garbage-collection, RAM usage, and performance under the tight constraints of a mobile device. Short version of my guess: QNX performs extremely well in an environment with (a) unlimited power (from a wire or a running car engine), and thus (b) a generous surplus of RAM; on the Playbook, whose RAM is constrained by its battery, and having to push around a large number of pixels, BB10 simply doesn't have enough headroom to run well.

(QNX/BB10, like Android, uses garbage-collection. iOS requires developers to manage memory the old-fashioned way, which is harder but has performance benefits.)
    WeAreNotAlone likes this.
    07-13-13 02:09 PM
    Wasn't the battle cry QNX can run on anything? Its scalable? What exactly happened here that all of a sudden you need more RAM? What the h@ll was added that makes 1gb or ram insufficient?
    QNX doesn't need a lot of ram, bb10 does.

Ex for android runtime, search/media card indexing, notification systems...

Posted via CB10
    WeAreNotAlone likes this.
    07-13-13 02:13 PM
    QNX might well be scaleable, but the problem may lie in RAM and apps. This article is an excellent read on the subject of garbage-collection, RAM usage, and performance under the tight constraints of a mobile device. Short version of my guess: QNX performs extremely well in an environment with (a) unlimited power (from a wire or a running car engine), and thus (b) a generous surplus of RAM; on the Playbook, whose RAM is constrained by its battery, and having to push around a large number of pixels, BB10 simply doesn't have enough headroom to run well.

(QNX/BB10, like Android, uses garbage-collection. iOS requires developers to manage memory the old-fashioned way, which is harder but has performance benefits.)
    Thanks, I'll do some research on the "garbage collection" aspect. Always good to learn something new.
    07-13-13 04:10 PM
    There is a bunch of buzz ever since BlackBerry's Q1 results were announced claiming that 'BlackBerry is Doomed' or 'This is the End of BlackBerry'. For me this makes very little sense.
    A lot of people tend to forget that iPhone only passed BlackBerry in 2010. Ever since then, BlackBerry has been seen as uncool and way worse than IPhone. So naturally, the company found itself in a steady decline. Despite this, they have stayed alive for three years. They managed to scrape on with their outdated OS and underdeveloped hardware, and actually wasn't doing all that bad.
    Many people didn't like BlackBerry but no one ever said that they were on the verge of failure.
    In 2012, BlackBerry announced BB10. Many people believed that in their current condition, the OS would never make it onto the market. But it did. And now, the Q1 results are out. BlackBerry did not achieve the outstanding start that they were hoping for. But still, it was their best results in a while, with a definite increase in revenue and much smaller losses than was previously seen.
    And all of a sudden, all these people are saying this is the end while they are seeing good news in BlackBerry terms. Why did they not say this in BlackBerry's darker days? How does a new OS, better devices and improved results spell failure?
    To me, it boggles my mind.

Posted via CB10
    Hi! Greetings from indonesia.
    You know in here, blackberry is a popular devide among teens and mostly everyone. Even a bus driver (considered a mid-lower class job here) own one. And my most of my friends are using it too, but what I noticed this lately is that most of them has switched to samsung galaxy 4, iphone 5 and other android devices, also a few switching to windows phone instead of Z10 or Q10. I can say that blackberry 10 device is not being aimed properly. I mean, its great they made some great hardware upgrades, but like what Ivan Vanko said while hacking through Hammer Computer: "your software is ****."
    The touch keypad, its amazing. Works like a miracle and the best keypad I've ever typed on, even better than iPhone and S4. But the problem is on the interface. Blackberry is an innovator, yet all I see on blackberry 10 is they're trying to catch up with iOS and Android! They're 1 step behind! I know they tried to make a difference with the gestures and stuff, but the gestures are too heavy! And its not practical! What were they thinking actually? They also got rid of the physical buttons. A few buttons like back and option won't hurt right?

My dad's friend own a mobile phone store, and he have a lot of secondhand Z10s. The price here are dropping like insane. It was about 750 US$ when it first came out, now its just about 550-610 US$. He said 10 was a failure and frankly I agree without any doubt. If someone gave me a Z/Q10, I'd sell it right away. The old torch jennings running 7.1 is much better and I won't switch to any device until blackberry messenger is released. There are tons of complains from me to Blackberry like how bad curve's keypad and how they keep making new phone based on its keypad (the new 9720) how they said tablet's era will end just because they ****ed up with playbook and a lot more.
    07-23-13 05:34 PM
    I say definitely NO WAY!.

BB Z10 rocks.
    07-23-13 05:40 PM
    Hi! Greetings from indonesia.

My dad's friend own a mobile phone store, and he have a lot of secondhand Z10s. The price here are dropping like insane. It was about 750 US$ when it first came out, now its just about 550-610 US$. He said 10 was a failure and frankly I agree without any doubt. If someone gave me a Z/Q10, I'd sell it right away. The old torch jennings running 7.1 is much better and I won't switch to any device until blackberry messenger is released.
    That is very troubling for blackberry.
    Indonesia represents 18%*of BlackBerry�s entire worldwide subscriber base or 15 million BlackBerry users.

* this was extrapolated from 80 million bb users, that has decreased to 72 million(last reported for fiscal q1)
    Blackberry no longer reports subscriber numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    07-23-13 05:57 PM
    You expect apple to release a quad core phone? Or higher clocking speed?

Sent from my BB10 smartphone.
    Iphone 5 is a quad core gpu and cpu
    07-23-13 06:00 PM
    Iphone 5 is a quad core gpu and cpu
    False.
    07-23-13 06:13 PM
    I don't see any cohesive marketing or promotion strategy from BlackBerry. I'm sure there are world leading pr and marketing people. BlackBerry should seek these people out and bring them on board. Steal samsungs marketing guy.
    Give top 500 celebrities in the world free Z and q 10's. Set up Web sites with Kevin o leary, tom hanks, Jim Carey and other top celebrities explaining how operating system works. There are a million low cost high pr ways to get blackberry going again and they're doing none of it. The less units they sell, the more people will be afraid to buy BlackBerry devices. It's a negative snowball right now that needs to be stopped. And I don't see My positive action being taken.

Posted via CB10
    07-23-13 08:55 PM
    BlackBerry needs to partner with another major manufacturer in order to expand their installed base of smartphones. They can't do this on their own as they lack capacity and direction.

They also need to focus on what makes BB products unique over all other mobile platforms Identify your strengths and offer customers clear and distinctive choices which can give them an advantage. Unfortunately, I think BB is still being run on a 20th Century style mindset which is hampering their ability to actually "keep moving".
    07-23-13 09:16 PM
194 ... 678