I just stumbled across this very well written article. Enjoy!

http://www.eweek.com/mobile/blackber...sing-from-bb10

Posted via CB10
    08-19-13 11:00 PM
    This has already been posted elsewhere, please search the forums before posting a new one

Posted via CB10
    08-19-13 11:05 PM
    Just a simple mistake. I'm sure both thread were close to being simultaneous: http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=841061
    08-19-13 11:09 PM
    OK, well than can a mod delete one of these forums.

Posted via CB10
    08-19-13 11:10 PM
    Just a simple mistake. I'm sure both parts wee close to being simultaneous: http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=841061
    Yeah I didn't search since it was published like a half hour ago lol. My post and the other member's post are nearly simultaneous as you said haha

Posted via CB10
    08-19-13 11:10 PM
    While I do think that this is an excellently written article, I don't think that there are excuses to be made from BlackBerry about apps not being there. They say how hard they are trying to get these developers on board but apparently it isn't hard enough. Microsoft has gotten these top apps into the Windows Store but BlackBerry hasn't been able to do the same. Money talks, and BlackBerry should learn that.

Posted via CB10
    h20work likes this.
    08-19-13 11:20 PM
    While I do think that this is an excellently written article, I don't think that there are excuses to be made from BlackBerry about apps not being there. They say how hard they are trying to get these developers on board but apparently it isn't hard enough. Microsoft has gotten these top apps into the Windows Store but BlackBerry hasn't been able to do the same. Money talks, and BlackBerry should learn that.

Posted via CB10
    This is the easy answer, have you sat in every meeting?

Swiped On My Zed10
    08-19-13 11:33 PM
    This is the easy answer, have you sat in every meeting?

Swiped On My Zed10
    Obviously I have not

Posted via CB10
    08-19-13 11:37 PM

Posted via CB10
    I had thought we had the same # of the top 10 as ms despite their platform being out for far longer?

Posted via CB10
    08-20-13 12:09 AM
    Where is this mysterious NFL mobile app that Marty has. I feel he's delusional him and Frank need to go if they can't get the job done.

CB10- BlackBerry Z10
    08-20-13 12:20 AM
    The missing app makers don't want cash, and they don't want development assistance. They're very clear about what they want, and that is MARKETSHARE. And until BB (or WP) can deliver that, many app makers simply aren't interested in adding the cost and complexity to their company to support additional platforms.
    08-20-13 12:25 AM
    The missing app makers don't want cash, and they don't want development assistance. They're very clear about what they want, and that is MARKETSHARE. And until BB (or WP) can deliver that, many app makers simply aren't interested in adding the cost and complexity to their company to support additional platforms.
    WP has kind of delivered that already and I am sure with the right amount of money some devs will come running. If you give them engineers and money they will be happy.
    08-20-13 12:34 AM
    Where is this mysterious NFL mobile app that Marty has. I feel he's delusional him and Frank need to go if they can't get the job done.

CB10- BlackBerry Z10
    I agree both of them need to go. I find it funny he is acting like they are not really missing apps by making excuses for it. "Oh no we don't have netflix but we have a free crackle app with 1 percent of the content that you want."

**Worst thing to see is an executive making excuses and not taking responsibility
    08-20-13 12:37 AM
    I guess that explains why customers are missing too.
    08-20-13 12:40 AM
    Still seems like they don't get it.
    And a lot of big time app devs don't seem to share Marty's view on how helpful the team are.
    They've been incredible for small devs, but then that's more Alec.
    08-20-13 03:52 AM

Posted via CB10
    Disagree. WP is out longer and many more devices running it have been sold. And yet the big names are still missing. In total the situation is pretty much the same.

Posted via CB10
    08-20-13 04:24 AM
    There are ~80 million of us BlackBerry users in the world. There are ~130 million iPhone users.

I'm sick of hearing how BlackBerry is a minor player. App developers can make a lot of money serving BlackBerry's higher income demographic. They have no excuse other than obstinacy and stupidity.
    R Field and Corbu like this.
    08-20-13 07:25 AM
    There are ~80 million of us BlackBerry users in the world. There are ~130 million iPhone users.

I'm sick of hearing how BlackBerry is a minor player. App developers can make a lot of money serving BlackBerry's higher income demographic. They have no excuse other than obstinacy and stupidity.
    I 100% agree with you BlackBerry users spend the most on apps per user more than any platform. The only problem is there isn't a huge migration from legacy to BlackBerry 10 users for whatever reason so that throws a wrentch into things.

CB10- BlackBerry Z10
    08-20-13 07:54 AM

There are nowhere near 80 million BB10 users.
    Developers don't need an "excuse" for not working on BB10. Excuses are only needed when something bad has been done. Developers are simply making a choice as to how to invest their time and resources. They don't need an "excuse" for choosing to work on the platforms likely to give them the best return for their investment.

BB10 is a minor player. Whether it will become something more than that is anyone's guess, but at the moment it is the weakest platform in the market.

The newness of the platform may actually appeal to developers who are just getting started, since BB World isn't already saturated with apps in every category. There's still plenty of room for quality apps. But when it comes to the larger, more complex apps that require significant back-end resources, it's a different story. These are produced by companies with a fair number of employees, and every hour these employees spend working on BB10 is time not spent on iOS and Android development. From a business perspective, that's doesn't look like a good choice.

We're not even seeing Android ports of some apps that we know (from sideloading) can run well on BB10. This can only be because even though the initial port is easy and cheap, they don't want to take on the downstream costs of upgrades and support.
    08-20-13 07:55 AM
    Something bad has been done: they're refusing to serve a very large and growing group of people simply because they don't like a certain brand. Their loss though. BlackBerry will be around long after Instagram has died.
    08-20-13 08:17 AM

First... BB has 72 million users. And a very small percentage of that are BB10 users. BB10 might be around 10 million right now (no numbers available).

Second... The number of iPhone users is a lot more than 130mil. Easily 2 times more.
    kbz1960 and GingerSnapsBack like this.
    08-20-13 08:22 AM
    Something bad has been done: they're refusing to serve a very large and growing group of people simply because they don't like a certain brand. Their loss though. BlackBerry will be around long after Instagram has died.
    What's your source for this claim that the only reason the apps are missing is that developers "simply don't like a certain brand"? Do they not like the brand, or do they not like developing for a minor platform, the future of which is uncertain?
    kbz1960 and GingerSnapsBack like this.
    08-20-13 08:51 AM

That's oversimplifying the issue. If developing for BBRY was so profitable, we'd be doing it ourselves, instead of calling other folks obstinate for not doing it.
    08-20-13 09:03 AM
    The world of commerce operates very differently from elementary school. Devs don't avoid inviting a particular platform from their birthday parties because they don't like it. That is wildly illogical.

You think Google "likes" Apple more than BlackBerry? No. Google "likes" Apple's consumer count way more. Simple. If a behemoth like Google needs to justify development costs, how much tougher do you think it is for the smaller studios?

I get to interact with developers for a living, and not ONE has ever expressed a dislike for BBRY. NOT one (the same number of WP devices seen in the wild by a particular poster). It's a simple matter of economics.

I hate to kill the whole "He Hate Me" vibe, but it ain't that.
    DenverRalphy, ubizmo and JeepBB like this.
    08-20-13 09:11 AM
    Seriously who cares if its been posted before?? It's a public forum and you can post what you want. Don't click on it if you think you've read one similar.

Posted via CB10
    08-20-13 09:50 AM
35 12