04-29-11 02:08 PM
66 123
tools
    I really wish RIM would step up to the plate now and come roaring back with 4G, QNX, 4.3"+ screen, dual core, smoking-hot touch screen phone that doesn't need to be rebooted but once in a blue moon, and when it does, it should return to life in less than a minute. If they made a new phone I want, I could still have BBM, which I like/use a lot. But since none of that is the case, I'll give up BBM to have a fast, less troublesome phone in my life. RIM isn't moving quickly enough to put problems behind them. The PB isn't smooth sailing either. Great concept, nice hardware, thrown onto the market before it's fully baked. Missing core apps. So near; yet so far. I can't ever consider myself a BB fan--I just happen to own a BB. If the die-hard BB fans want to call that sentiment "whining", so be it. thanks for wishing me luck--can you light a fire under Moto/Samsung/verizon to get their acts together on a 4G phone???
    As I've posted, they can't put it out because the hardware they want to use isn't available yet. They are not going to just kick it out to get on the limited bandwagon. Wish in one hand and hold your hand under a horse's patoot, see which one fills up the fastest. I understand you're 'chomping at the bit', and there's no reason for you to be. get the device you think you want and get on with it.
    If or when the tech is ready, you can always come back in. But I know some good folks that have already tasted the bit you want so badly, and had to return to BlackBerry to get the bitter taste out of their mouths.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-29-11 12:40 AM
    Why would RIM go 4G? There are barely any carriers that support 4G. Also, there isn't one carrier in Canada that supports 4G yet. There is no reason to go 4G right now. It's just an over hyped technology.

And BTW, none of the carriers that advertise 4G actually have 4G networks. None of the networks actually come close to the speeds of 4G standard. They're all just lying when they say '4G'. When they say 4G, they actually mean WiMAX or LTE. Advertising it as 4G is just a marketing gimmick and isn't truthful at all.

Imagine you were a large company. Where would you see the advantage in converting? Not only to a watered down version of a standard, but also one that hasn't even been tested thoroughly yet. BlackBerry is used a lot in the corporate world, and no one in the corporate world likes instability.
    To cut a long story short, IMT-Advanced (International Mobile Telecommunications Advanced) cellular systems can only call themselves 4G if they are able to deliver a peak download speed of up to approximately 100Mbps in a high mobility environment (i.e. mobile phone access) and up to 1Gbps (1024Mbps) in a low mobility one (i.e. local wireless access).

Neither WiMAX nor LTE can deliver 1Gbps in low mobility environments, which means they do not qualify as a 4G solution. This is nothing new but until now the unfinished "standard" had left enough uncertainty for some operators to call related services 4G, partly in reference to the fact that they are still delivering a significant upgrade.

Future LTE-Advanced and WiMAX2 (802.16m / WirelessMAN-Advanced) solutions do qualify as 4G and both are capable of the peak recommended performance, although we won't see those in the UK for some years to come. Even first generation LTE won't really get off the ground until 2012/13, which is partly dependent upon certain regulatory adjustments and spectrum auctions.
    Source: ITU Finally Agrees a 4G Mobile Broadband Definition and LTE Does Not Qualify − ISPreview UK News
    04-29-11 12:55 AM
    Thank you so much for posting that link regarding the definition of 4G. There's been so much that is falsely written as 4G.
    04-29-11 06:52 AM
    I look at it this way. RIM has always been the smartphone for the business person. What business person is going to want a BlackBerry that only gets 4 hours out of it's battery?
    I've posted about a trip to Los Angeles in February where my contractor tech lead, who used a Droid 2 since he's not on our network, spent most of the day looking for an outlet in the middle of an install. Very, very disrupting. Now that I have an Atrix, I've experienced first hand how attempting to use the phone heavily during a work day in a situation such as a large software upgrade or install, which will take a full work day to complete, would be nearly impossible.

If you're in the middle of an intense task the last thing you need is to worry about getting through it with your device. At our next install he showed up with a Torch. Much smoother!!!
    04-29-11 07:04 AM
    People can whine and cry all they want but RIM is doing the right thing by not releasing a 4G monster phone just yet. There are certain things people expect from a BlackBerry and battery life is one of them. Right now you cannot have a 4G phone and good battery life from a phone. The technology just isn't there.
    04-29-11 08:58 AM
    People can whine and cry all they want but RIM is doing the right thing by not releasing a 4G monster phone just yet. There are certain things people expect from a BlackBerry and battery life is one of them. Right now you cannot have a 4G phone and good battery life from a phone. The technology just isn't there.
    I agree - not to sound like a negative nancy, but they've got enough on their plate to catch up on as it is, particularly in light of yesterday's earnings news. I think what they're working on now will be a big step in the right direction. There will be a time that they will need to have 4G-capable devices, but now isn't that time.

And just to be clear, I personally am in no way dissatisfied with my BB. I love my Torch and I'm very excited about the new phones on the way. But I'm not the customer they need to impress...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-29-11 09:51 AM
    I can see both sides of the fence. I had been a loyal bb user for many many years. Then I bought the storm 2, went through 5 units in 6 months for screen issues, bought a new 9650 to replace the storm 2 and the 9650 was a great. Replaced that once for some keyboard hardware issues. I do have to admit that about 3 weeks ago I did go and buy a HTC Thunderbolt. I will be sending the 9650 to gazelle. To be fair, I am in a 4G location, so typical speeds are in the 25-27mb down.

I will say that I bought the Thunderbolt retail and I will get my NE2 discount in about a year from my 9650. At that time RIM may have something that competes a little better. No 4G, but the hardware will be much improved. I, like so many other bb users, just got a little tired of my awesome new blackberry (insert model here) being at least a full life cycle behind the competition.

The battery life of the TB does suck, but I bought the cheap ebay batteries like others have done and I get by just fine.
    Last edited by brace1978; 04-29-11 at 10:04 AM. Reason: spelling
    04-29-11 10:02 AM
    I have no desire to have 4G, period. I realize this is a want for most people, but seriously... 3G is fast. How fast do you really need it to work? I usually keep my Torch on Edge, simply because I don't do a lot of browsing on my phone. And I really don't notice a huge difference between Edge and 3G, maybe a few seconds. Patience is indeed a virtue.

I'd rather wait an extra 2 or 3 seconds for a webpage to load than worrying about my phone dying after 4 hours of use.
    04-29-11 10:24 AM
    You can root the TB and give you better battery life.
    04-29-11 10:36 AM
    When is iPhone going 4g?
    Why do they have to, when they can just CALL themselves 4G and people will buy it anyways?

04-29-11 11:01 AM
    ... I realize this is a want for most people, but seriously... 3G is fast. How fast do you really need it to work? ...
    because there are a lot of techies out there that want three things out of their mobile devices. Bigger, faster, cheaper..... oh and they wanted it yesterday.
    04-29-11 11:28 AM
    because there are a lot of techies out there that want three things out of their mobile devices. Bigger, faster, cheaper..... oh and they wanted it yesterday.
    Over muscled phones have replaced muscle cars as overcompensation for weaknesses in other areas....
    moiselles likes this.
    04-29-11 12:28 PM
    Why do they have to, when they can just CALL themselves 4G and people will buy it anyways?

The problem is the average consumer who is not in the industry does not know what the standards really are and believes what the carriers tell him or her.

Its Not 4G, Its Faux G - mobility Blog
    pkcable likes this.
    04-29-11 12:36 PM
    The problem is the average consumer who is not in the industry does not know what the standards really are and believes what the carriers tell him or her.

Its Not 4G, Its Faux G - mobility Blog
    True and what I'm saying is Apple has taken it even 1 step futher, they call the Iphone4G, and of course they define 4G as their 4 generation, BUT most folks don't even know that, they just assume it's a faster 4G network phone. It's confusing, and Apple knows it, and doesn't care, because it potentially sells more phones.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-29-11 12:47 PM
    I left BB earlier this month for the Verizon Thunderbolt. Today is a bad day because the LTE network is down, and frankly, the phone sucks when it's not in 4G.

The 4G speed is nice, but I get 4 hours with the 1600 battery. 4 HOURS! If you are looking to get away from BB, then nothing will change your mind, but don't do what I did, get pissed off, switch, and now have to wait until 2/16/12 when my year contract is up to switch back....
    If this is true, you need to make some changes to the settings. It easily lasts all day using 4G. Custom ROMs also help a lot.
    04-29-11 02:02 PM
    Actually, I've read similar reports of very short battery life from other TB owners. My own Atrix had been advertised at 9 hours talk time and several days standy. Which is very different from the 13 hours I am getting. If I actually use the phone the battery life is even less.
    Additionally, not everyone is comfortable with modding devices to the point of installing custom ROMs. I won't root or jailbreak a phone.
    04-29-11 02:08 PM
66 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD