Hi
    I'm having two questions about email, and storage

1) What happens if I keep installing apps until I get (for example) 2% space left? Will the apps be stored/installed in SD then? Or is the % free space calculated having into account SD card too?

2) What will happen with email storage when I'm reaching full capacity? I guess email stuff can't be stored on SD, right?

3) And finally, what should I do if I want to replace my 2gb SD for 8gb? Just copying all the folders and files from one to another will work?

Thanks
    12-07-10 07:45 AM
    Your media card is for media only, applications and email will not be stored to it.

When you run out of file free, it is gone until you free up space by removing applications. Installing a larger sd card will not help the issue.

Best thing for emails is to do a sync to a pc or DM backup.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-07-10 07:52 AM
    Also, unless something has changed in the newer OS (I'm still stuck at 4.5 on my 8100), as new emails come in, older ones get deleted if you are running out of memory.

If you set your SD card to mass storage mode on your phone, it will show up as a removable drive when you plug it into the usb on a PC. You can the copy, move, paste files off the card to your computer and back to a new card in the phone as much as you want - just like any usb thumb drive.

But, as Fubaz said, none of that will help email and app storage as all of that stays strictly in your built-in memory and can't go anywhere else.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-07-10 09:50 AM
    1) I don't recommend doing that anyway. If you get down as little as 2%, you're device will probably be pretty sluggish and lock up quite a bit. The recommended amount of free app space varies a bit by model, but I assure that you want more than 2% free.

2) If you start reaching full capacity, the device will start to delete older messages to make room for new ones, regardless of your retention settings. Frankly, I don't care because I don't sync deletes with my online mailbox, but it is something to be aware of.

3) Yup. There are a few ways to do it, but the easiest way if you don't have an SD card reader on your computer would be to plug your phone into computer via USB, enable mass storage, copy the card contents to your hard drive, unplug and power down phone, swap cards, power on and reconnect phone to computer, transfer files back to new card.
    12-07-10 10:11 AM
    Wow
    Thanks for all the great tips people... got the point and going to "clone" the cards. I have a card reader so I guess it will be an easy task
    12-07-10 12:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD