Most of what you say is correct. If you have a pop account (i.e. an email address from your ISP typically), RIM servers will monitor that email every 15 minutes. This is called polling. If they find an email, they will push it to your phone. Once RIM servers find an email, they will poll every 3 minutes in case you have a conversation going back and forth.

The fact that RIM's servers are doing the polling and not your mobile, saves battery life.

Emails are only instant to the Blackberry if you have BES or a gmail, hotmail or yahoo account.
    But even then they aren't - like I said if I run my iPhone and 9900 side by side, and my iPhone is on wifi only and the 9900 is sim card and wifi run, when I get a gmail email it shows up immediately on my iPhone notifications. My 9900 will indicate anywhere from 30 seconds to 10 minutes later (and sometimes not at all).

Sent from my brain using Tapatalk
    03-16-12 03:58 PM
    But even then they aren't - like I said if I run my iPhone and 9900 side by side, and my iPhone is on wifi only and the 9900 is sim card and wifi run, when I get a gmail email it shows up immediately on my iPhone notifications. My 9900 will indicate anywhere from 30 seconds to 10 minutes later (and sometimes not at all).

Try this. Disable the email on the iphone. Send an email to your Gmail account on your Berry from your PC. Time the delivery.

Is the Berry getting messed up because the email has been picked up by the iphone?
    03-16-12 04:02 PM

Has the email been archived on your Berry? Can you see it in the archive or all mail folder on the Berry?
    03-16-12 04:06 PM
    Try this. Disable the email on the iphone. Send an email to your Gmail account on your Berry from your PC. Time the delivery.

Is the Berry getting messed up because the email has been picked up by the iphone?
    No, I already tried it. Already thought of that! Even with the email account removed and the phone powered of and in a drawer, the ding and the timestamps of the emails are anywhere up to 10 minutes delayed.

The only thing that did interfere was on texting. If my iPhone is on wifi and the 9900 is also on, and I forget to deactivate iMessage, I won't get a text from my husband and it only shows up on iPhone. The missing emails show up in the all mail folder but I either get really delayed notice or none at all. So basically i have to know to look for it which sucks.

Last edited by reeneebob; 03-16-12 at 04:13 PM.
    03-16-12 04:10 PM
    Most of what you say is correct. If you have a pop account (i.e. an email address from your ISP typically), RIM servers will monitor that email every 15 minutes. This is called polling. If they find an email, they will push it to your phone. Once RIM servers find an email, they will poll every 3 minutes in case you have a conversation going back and forth.

The fact that RIM's servers are doing the polling and not your mobile, saves battery life.

Emails are only instant to the Blackberry if you have BES or a gmail, hotmail or yahoo account.
    I have an email account from 1&1 Internet - Home and with imap setup(recognized by default in the last 2-3 years, before you had to insert settings manually) is instant, 7 seconds every time from when the email is sent. On BIS.
    03-16-12 04:11 PM
    Might explain why Apple is not using it for Siri? Outside US? Does Siri use Google Maps in US?
    Apple stopped using Google Maps with Siri because they don't wish to get tagged with the fee for using it (there are millions each day using Siri). Which is completely understandable. However, since they changed to another maps provider, how long will it be before the new provider starts charging Apple and their Siri service when their own costs skyrocket? I'll give it a year. Apple doesn't care at all what impact or load they drop on others (ie.. the poor service they had with overloading the AT&T network)

But then too, last I recall, Apple is working on their own mapping service. So they're probably just biding their time until their own service is up and running. And you can probably be relatively confident that nobody outside of iOS devices will be using that mapping service.
    03-16-12 04:12 PM
    So what?!?!!!?!!?!!!!!
    03-16-12 04:13 PM
    @E92Van you will like/not like to know that the PlayBook offers imap with gmail. I just tried to delete the same email that was on my mac/PB/9900 (deleted online from mac) what happend?

In about 2 seconds the email disappeared from the PB but after 15 minutes the email is still on my 9900.

Deleting an email from the BB&Mailbox reflects on the PB but gmail on the mac needs to be refreshed first.

@Belfast: How is full push dangerous? If you delete something grab it from the trash, right?
    03-16-12 04:17 PM
    @E92Van you will like/not like to know that the PlayBook offers imap with gmail. I just tried to delete the same email that was on my mac/PB/9900 (deleted online from mac) what happend?

In about 2 seconds the email disappeared from the PB but after 15 minutes the email is still on my 9900.

Deleting an email from the BB&Mailbox reflects on the PB but gmail on the mac needs to be refreshed first.

@Belfast: How is full push dangerous? If you delete something grab it from the trash, right?
    Thanks. I was aware of this. The Playbook uses Exchange Active Sync to do this.

Tell me something. Have you figured out how to archive an email on your Playbook? I haven't!!! Any help is appreciated.

And yes, deleted emails in Gmail can be pulled out of the trash. Don't engage him. You will be banging your head against the wall until it bleeds.
    03-16-12 04:24 PM
    I also posted about the issues I've been having with the email being slower on my BB than my iPhone. You spun it to make it sound like I'm a liar. I have dealt with you in numerous threads where you in trying to prove iPhone users wrong (even in the iPhone sub forum no less) and you refuse to ever debate. It's your way or the highway. People have spent a lot of time providing evidence to you that you discard.

I simply am trying to save yet another victim the headache.

You in all the time - turnabout is fair play. But then it's only misinformation of you don't agree, when you say it well, it's factual. Even with video/empirical proof.

OMG!! Belfast just took the opposite side of a point he was arguing with me. He flipped 180 degrees. Unflipping real!!!

If I cared, I would highlight the quotes to show how this leopard changes his spots for the simple reason to argue. Insane!!!
    03-16-12 04:25 PM

Not full push, full sync, once trash is emptied by bye bye emails. Hosted email accounts don't give you as much space as gmail for example so you have to keep it clean.
    03-16-12 04:30 PM
    OMG!! Belfast just took the opposite side of a point he was arguing with me. He flipped 180 degrees. Unflipping real!!!

If I cared, I would highlight the quotes to show how this leopard changes his spots for the simple reason to argue. Insane!!!
    What are you on about?
    03-16-12 04:34 PM
    Exactly! I am learning that he is not worth the time or bother. A lot of what he says is patently incorrect but the facts don't seem to matter to him. I could say Dublin is in Ireland and he would argue ad infinitum that it wasn't. Some people like to argufy. If you engage him, he gets progressively condescending and continues to debate in bad faith. Then he likes to let the insults fly as if that will get his point across. Unreal!!

Thanks for the heads up.

IMO you and reneebob are not worth the time. BelfastDispatcher is a BB fan not someone with an identity crisis as your header shows you own every type of phone

I have 5 email accounts on my 9810 and email service has always been fast and great

When I delete emails on my phone it doesn't show-up on my mac when I open the mail application.
    03-16-12 05:47 PM
    IMO you and reneebob are not worth the time. BelfastDispatcher is a BB fan not someone with an identity crisis as your header shows you own every type of phone

I have 5 email accounts on my 9810 and email service has always been fast and great

When I delete emails on my phone it doesn't show-up on my mac when I open the mail application.
    I think I am a bigger BB fan than Belfast. By his own admission, he has never ever paid for a Blackberry. He gets them free from his carrier which means he gets a new Blackberry every 3 years. How is that a fan? How does that help RIM? I buy a new Blackberry as soon as they release a new version of the model that I have.

Pretending that everything is great with a Blackberry is the last thing RIM needs to hear. This is what has got them into trouble. They have ignored the competition.

People like you and Belfast have no idea what features are available on an Android or iphone because you live in a vacuum. These features are desired by users and is putting RIM into the ground.

RIM missed the consumerization of the smartphone.

I am loud and vocal because I am a RIM fan. I want them to succeed. This is a Canadian Company we are all proud of.

RIM said they are listening. I hope they hear what some of their fans have to say who chose to take a stand against the Fanbois instead of just giving up and buying an iphone.

Too many Fanbois on this site scream how awesome RIM is but they have a 7 year old Pearl 9100 or Curve 8300. This is a joke and tells me that RIM is doing a poor job at improving their product and creating a desire.

I hope RIM is listening. I hope they can see the light. They are coming late to the party all of the time and this is costing them dearly.

$63 billion in equity has evaporated from their balance sheet in the last year. Sales are falling. Revenues are falling. Market share is falling. Yet Fanbois want to tell RIM that they are doing a great job. High fives and pat on the backs all around for a job well done.

You may love Blackberries and I love Blackberries, but the number of us is shrinking everyday.

RIM is in trouble. It is like your kid is on crack. You can chose to be like Belfast and give your kid more crack and tell him everything is okay or you can give them some tough love.

BTW, I am buying the stock right now. It may be money down the drain or they may pull it off. I am hoping!
    Last edited by E92Vancouver; 03-16-12 at 06:03 PM.
    03-16-12 05:58 PM

Wow, poor Kevin and Bla1ze have identity crises as well then, since they own android, iOS and BB products as well. I sell the things. I need to be able to tech support them. What's your experience with the platforms you misrepresent?

Anthogag, I have already got you on ignore because I've also put up with your trolling of the iPhone board and misinformation. So sorry, your opinion means as much as some of the others like BD.

I wish ignored posters wouldn't show up in quotes.

Last edited by reeneebob; 03-16-12 at 06:25 PM.
    03-16-12 06:06 PM
    I"m sorry, but I'm confused as to the point of this thread; and sadly the thread doesn't even really have any good debate.

Anyway, POP mail by definition polls the server. How it's pulled is just pedantics, so while we know it's the NOC doing the polling and not the device is moot.

But that's POP. POP isn't defined with syncing. It's just downloading emails to each individual client that thinks those emails are new. I think RIM found a very reasonable way to handle POP email accounts. I figure anyone using POP on purpose isn't really important enough to have instant email and syncing anyway.

If you want instant and you want syncing, use IMAP. If your provider or server doesn't handle it, then they are way more behind the times than anyone could ever claim RIM to be.

I am an amatuer and I run my own email server. My email is pushed and is synced near instantly.

This thread no other potential than to confuse people or get people riled up. If I were a mod, I would close it.

Cheers.
    Foreverup and _StephenBB81 like this.
    03-16-12 06:08 PM

Sorry to break this to you, but have you noticed that most of the moderators on this forum don't use Blackberries? They have iphones and androids. What does this tell you? One moderator in the past had an iphone and continually bashed Blackberry. Weird huh?
    Last edited by E92Vancouver; 03-16-12 at 06:20 PM.
    03-16-12 06:10 PM
    Well, it could have been a good thread, but it was waylaid by jack@$$ery.

Can a mod shut this down, the thread is done and is just turning into a long argument. EDIT [and getting personal and so off topic]
    03-16-12 06:20 PM
    Wow, poor Kevin and Bla1ze have identity crises as well then, since they own android, iOS and BB products as well. I sell the things. I need to be able to tech support them. What's your experience with the platforms you misrepresent?

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...27621/Anthogag, I have already got you on ignore because I've also put up with your trolling of the iPhone board and misinformation. So sorry, your opinion means as much as some of the others like BD.

I wish ignored posters wouldn't show up in quotes.

Well I guess you won't see this reply. I could care less because you always hit-and-run this forum with your boring apple fanboyism

I don't visit the apple forum. Maybe a couple of threads many months ago because their threads showed-up in this BB forum but that's it. I don't care at all about iPhone or android
    03-16-12 06:23 PM
    I think I am a bigger BB fan than Belfast. By his own admission, he has never ever paid for a Blackberry. He gets them free from his carrier which means he gets a new Blackberry every 3 years. How is that a fan? How does that help RIM? I buy a new Blackberry as soon as they release a new version of the model that I have.

Pretending that everything is great with a Blackberry is the last thing RIM needs to hear. This is what has got them into trouble. They have ignored the competition.

People like you and Belfast have no idea what features are available on an Android or iphone because you live in a vacuum. These features are desired by users and is putting RIM into the ground.

RIM missed the consumerization of the smartphone.

I am loud and vocal because I am a RIM fan. I want them to succeed. This is a Canadian Company we are all proud of.

RIM said they are listening. I hope they hear what some of their fans have to say who chose to take a stand against the Fanbois instead of just giving up and buying an iphone.

Too many Fanbois on this site scream how awesome RIM is but they have a 7 year old Pearl 9100 or Curve 8300. This is a joke and tells me that RIM is doing a poor job at improving their product and creating a desire.

I hope RIM is listening. I hope they can see the light. They are coming late to the party all of the time and this is costing them dearly.

$63 billion in equity has evaporated from their balance sheet in the last year. Sales are falling. Revenues are falling. Market share is falling. Yet Fanbois want to tell RIM that they are doing a great job. High fives and pat on the backs all around for a job well done.

You may love Blackberries and I love Blackberries, but the number of us is shrinking everyday.

RIM is in trouble. It is like your kid is on crack. You can chose to be like Belfast and give your kid more crack and tell him everything is okay or you can give them some tough love.

BTW, I am buying the stock right now. It may be money down the drain or they may pull it off. I am hoping!

What features are BB users missing that iPhone and android have
    03-16-12 06:27 PM
    Well I guess you won't see this reply. I could care less because you always hit-and-run this forum with your boring apple fanboyism

I don't visit the apple forum. Maybe a couple of threads many months ago because their threads showed-up in this BB forum but that's it. I don't care at all about iPhone or android
    I took you off ignore and swapped phones for this, so enjoy. I don't drive by, I participate. I am not a fanboy. If I was a fanboy I would have thrown down the $700 for a new 4S not a 9900. I simply have my experience and opinions based on actually using the platforms, not regurgitating what I read.

If I was a BB hater, I wouldn't be keeping the 9900 and going back and forth between the two phones, it would be on eBay.

Considering your habit of randomly posting in a thread with some variation of 'iCrap' or 'iDroid' and some misinformation, you claiming I drive by is pretty funny

And back on ignore you go.

Sent from my Bold 9900 using Tapatalk
    03-16-12 06:33 PM
    Okay reneebob stick your head in the sand
    Last edited by anthogag; 03-16-12 at 06:43 PM.
    03-16-12 06:38 PM
72 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD