There is a misunderstanding that Blackberries have push email. In certain instances they do. In many instances they do not.

If you have a POP email account and you are on BIS, email to your Blackberry is not push. The Blackberry servers actually poll the POP server every 15 minutes and PULL email if they find it and push it to the Blackberry.

The BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS) is a service that provides BlackBerry smartphone users with access to Internet browsing, allows email messaging, instant messaging using the BlackBerry Messenger service, and more. The service also allows users to access POP3, IMAP, and Outlook Web App (not via Exchange ActiveSync) email accounts without connecting through a BlackBerry Enterprise Server (BES).[1] The service is usually provisioned through a mobile phone service provider, though Research In Motion (RIM) (BlackBerry's developer) actually runs the service.

BIS retrieves email from mail servers by polling a POP3 or IMAP server.

This is how BIS works on a POP account:

BIS checks the account when it is set up.
    BIS doesnt find email.
    BIS checks back in 15 minutes.
    BIS finds email.
    BIS compresses and sends email to the handheld. (first 2kb of the email)
    BIS checks back for mail in 3 minutes.
    BIS doesnt find mail.
    BIS finds email.
    BIS compresses and sends email to the handheld. (first 2kb of the email)
    BIS doesnt find mail.
    BIS doesnt find mail.
    BIS doesnt find mail.
    BIS doesnt find mail.
    BIS doesnt find mail.
    BIS checks back for mail in 15 minutes.
    and so on and so forth.

It tortures me when friends by a Blackberry to have Push email only to find that their emails only come every 15 minutes or every 3 minutes on their POP account.

If you want push email on your Blackberry, get a Gmail, Hotmail or Yahoo account.

But if you have a Gmail, Hotmail or Yahoo account, email would be push too on an Android or iphone.

Blackberry does not dominate push email anymore. All platforms have it. And if you are using Gmail, you get 2 way email sync on your Android which you CAN NOT get on a Blackberry.

By 2 way sync I mean:

Read a message on your PC and it is marked as read on your mobile.
    Delete a message on your PC and it is deleted on your mobile.
    Read a message on your mobile and it is marked as read on your PC.
    Delete a message on your mobile and it is deleted on your PC.
    Archive an email on your PC and it is archived on your mobile.
    Archive an email on your mobile and it is archived on your PC.

As well, Gmail offers full wireless syncing of calendar and contacts between your handheld and PC if you have an Android. Very slick!
    Last edited by E92Vancouver; 03-16-12 at 11:42 AM.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    03-16-12 11:16 AM
    do you mean the email for your provider.blackberry.com email doesnt work properly?
    03-16-12 11:26 AM
    Missing a lot of IFs in your title, I guess.
    03-16-12 11:31 AM
    do you mean the email for your provider.blackberry.com email doesnt work properly?
    No, that email account is full push. I am taking about your POP email account you get from your ISP that provides your home internet service.
    03-16-12 11:31 AM
    Just changed the title.
    03-16-12 11:34 AM
    Just changed the title.
    Thanks for the modification, nice one.
    Unfortunately, it does not show in the forum list (known issue). So you may bold this in your first post (just in case you're not flame proof ).
    03-16-12 11:37 AM
    No, that email account is full push. I am taking about your POP email account you get from your ISP that provides your home internet service.
    i have the same problem with hotmail, sometimes the mail doesnt show up till a day later, so what i do is forward all the email boxes i need to my .blackberry.com email, that way everything is instant
    tmaka likes this.
    03-16-12 11:48 AM
    Blackberry does not dominate push email anymore. All platforms have it. And if you are using Gmail, you get 2 way email sync on your Android which you CAN NOT get on a Blackberry.

By 2 way sync I mean:

Read a message on your PC and it is marked as read on your mobile.
    Delete a message on your PC and it is deleted on your mobile.
    Read a message on your mobile and it is marked as read on your PC.
    Delete a message on your mobile and it is deleted on your PC.
    Archive an email on your PC and it is archived on your mobile.
    Archive an email on your mobile and it is archived on your PC.

As well, Gmail offers full wireless syncing of calendar and contacts between your handheld and PC if you have an Android. Very slick!
    I have a Gmail account and it syncs to my BB. When I read an email on BB, my desktop shows it as read and vice versa. Same for the archiving function and for starring emails. When I need to delete an email on my BB, it gives the option to delete on handheld only, web only, or both.

I also get to sync my contact list and calendar wirelessly, which was what I did for setting up my PB.

I'll recommend you to check your settings if you aren't enjoying these functions, if you are using gmail.
    meske likes this.
    03-16-12 01:18 PM
    Dude, you're embarrassing yourself, you're confusing PUSH email with Instant Email

PUSH- new emails are always pushed to the phone meaning the handset never actively searches for new emails

Instant Push- emails are instantly pushed to the handset

Pull- the phone searches for new emails at a set interval.

Now with POP3 the NOC pulls at a set interval and when it finds new emails then it will PUSH them to the Blackberry.

Do you finally get it now?
    03-16-12 01:30 PM
    Dude, you're embarrassing yourself, you're confusing PUSH email with Instant Email

PUSH- new emails are always pushed to the phone meaning the handset never actively searches for new emails

Instant Push- emails are instantly pushed to the handset

Pull- the phone searches for new emails at a set interval.

Now with POP3 the NOC pulls at a set interval and when it finds new emails then it will PUSH them to the Blackberry.

Do you finally get it now?
    Wow! Looks like you are inventing technology terms. Push and Instant Push. Well done!

I completely understand how this works. Please stop with the regurgitation.
    Last edited by E92Vancouver; 03-16-12 at 01:41 PM.
    03-16-12 01:32 PM
    I have a Gmail account and it syncs to my BB. When I read an email on BB, my desktop shows it as read and vice versa. Same for the archiving function and for starring emails. When I need to delete an email on my BB, it gives the option to delete on handheld only, web only, or both.

I also get to sync my contact list and calendar wirelessly, which was what I did for setting up my PB.

I'll recommend you to check your settings if you aren't enjoying these functions, if you are using gmail.
    There is some sync abilities with Gmail on the PC and mobile but it is not instant like on an Android or iphone.

On my Blackberry, syncing between the mobile and PC inbox takes 4 or 5 hours which is simply not acceptable for me.

Wireless contact sync on my Blackberry was inconsistent, but I have 6,500 contacts so that could be the problem. But Android handles wireless contact sync flawlessly for me.
    03-16-12 01:35 PM
    Wow! Looks like you are inventing technology terms. Push and Instant Push. Well done!
    Does a Blackberry ever Pull for new emails? NO.

What does that make it then? If a BB never searches for new emails how does it get its emails?

That's right, they're PUSHED to it.

Talk about stating the obvious by the way. Lol
    03-16-12 01:38 PM
    Does a Blackberry ever Pull for new emails? NO.

What does that make it then? If a BB never searches for new emails how does it get its emails?

That's right, they're PUSHED to it.

Talk about stating the obvious by the way. Lol
    Like I said the servers poll. And yes, the email is pushed to the device. Just like I said in the OP.

The Blackberry servers actually poll the POP server every 15 minutes and PULL email if they find it and push it to the Blackberry.
    Last edited by E92Vancouver; 03-16-12 at 01:42 PM.
    03-16-12 01:39 PM
    Then if it's push why the title "Blackberry Email is NOT PUSH for POP accounts"
    03-16-12 01:41 PM
    Then if it's push why the title "Blackberry Email is NOT PUSH for POP accounts"
    Because the servers poll and then push which is different from "Pure Push" or "Instant Push" or "Realtime Push".
    03-16-12 01:43 PM
    Yes. I think most people know this.. a few minutes delay because the BB server polls each respective mail server. But this is still PUSH to our device (but with delay) since the server is doing all the work and not our device. iphone on the other hand has push with gmail and yahoo only (for now) other emails will be constant pulling (drains battery) until google makes Pulling server for free for other emails.. maybe they do already... I believe Push email is made by BB (the concept). And is used now by gmail and yahoo and made them free with activesync as a way to undermine RIMM's BES.. Google made many things free and kills many businesses such as google map, earth, analytics, trends, last but not least... android...
    btw I am not sure yet how they do it, but BES is realtime.
    Last edited by guzprom; 03-16-12 at 01:56 PM.
    03-16-12 01:51 PM
    Maybe you should google how exchange works then lol, you'll be surprised.

Just drop it man, we all know how BB works, we knew this years ago.
    03-16-12 01:52 PM
    There is some sync abilities with Gmail on the PC and mobile but it is not instant like on an Android or iphone.

On my Blackberry, syncing between the mobile and PC inbox takes 4 or 5 hours which is simply not acceptable for me.

Wireless contact sync on my Blackberry was inconsistent, but I have 6,500 contacts so that could be the problem. But Android handles wireless contact sync flawlessly for me.
    Do you have a lot of emails? I've tried to open an email now and within seconds it reflects on the web. Are we talking about the same thing? (Pardon me for being a tech id*ot)

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk
    03-16-12 01:53 PM
    Yes. I think most people know this.. a few minutes delay because the BB server polls each respective mail server. But this is still PUSH to our device (but with delay) since the server is doing all the work and not our device. iphone on the other hand has push with gmail and yahoo only (for now) other emails will be constant pulling (drains battery) until google makes Polling server for free for other emails.. maybe they do already... I believe Push email is made by BB (the concept). And is used now by gmail and yahoo and made them free with activesync as a way to undermine RIMM's BES.. Google made many things free and kills many businesses such as google map, earth, analytics, trends, last but not least... android...
    You are exactly right on all counts!

Google and Apple license Exchange Active Sync and gives this service away for free to it's mobile users so that they can hook up to an Exchange enabled email account like Gmail!
    03-16-12 01:53 PM
    Do you have a lot of emails? I've tried to open an email now and within seconds it reflects on the web. Are we talking about the same thing? (Pardon me for being a tech id*ot)

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk
    You are not being an id*ot! Yes, I have a lot of emails.

To be clear, I am using the Blackberry email client and not the Gmail BB app that they recently stopped supporting. Also, I am not accessing my Gmail through the BB Web Browser.

Are we talking the same thing? I am talking about the BB email account for Gmail that you set up with BIS.
    03-16-12 01:56 PM
    You are not being an id*ot! Yes, I have a lot of emails.

To be clear, I am using the Blackberry email client and not the Gmail BB app that they recently stopped supporting. Also, I am not accessing my Gmail through the BB Web Browser.

Are we talking the same thing? I am talking about the BB email account for Gmail that you set up with BIS.
    Yea, I'm talking about the email thingy we set up using BIS. It shows on my desktop on the change pretty fast if I were to open an email on my BB.

However, if it's PB, then it doesn't really work that way
    03-16-12 01:59 PM
    Yea, I'm talking about the email thingy we set up using BIS. It shows on my desktop on the change pretty fast if I were to open an email on my BB.

However, if it's PB, then it doesn't really work that way
    Thanks. So to be clear, if you read the emails on the PC, the messages are marked as read instantly on your Berry. And if you delete an email from the PC, it is deleted instantly from your Berry?

This functionality worked so so on my 9800 with a 5 hour time delay and the experience is even worse on my 9810 (i.e. takes longer if it works at all).
    03-16-12 02:04 PM
    Yeah, full sync with Gmail and all my ISP mail addies (Bell uses Hotmail) Delete off the handheld and I have the choice of blah blah blah....It works.

Mail was gone from my inbox (Hotmail & Gmail) before I could log in and check.
    03-16-12 02:12 PM
    Maybe you should google how exchange works then lol, you'll be surprised.

Just drop it man, we all know how BB works, we knew this years ago.
    Belfast, you are intentionally obtuse for the sake of arguing. If you continue to be harassing and belligerent, I will have no choice but to ignore you.
    03-16-12 02:15 PM
    Yeah, full sync with Gmail and all my ISP mail addies (Bell uses Hotmail) Delete off the handheld and I have the choice of blah blah blah....It works.

Mail was gone from my inbox (Hotmail & Gmail) before I could log in and check.
    Is your archiving instant?
    03-16-12 02:16 PM
72 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD