Hello CrackBerry community,

I have some questions about BlackBerry devices and I hope that you can help me out.

My situation:
    I will moving to Europe for 2 years and plan to take a phone with me as phones where I will be moving are very expensive. I am looking at some BB's like 8320, 8900, 9000 and some others that have WiFi. I will unlock it to use with a local carrier.

Mobile carrier environment:
    NO BLACKBERRY SUPPORT! In the process of setting up 3G network. I am not too concerned about 3G. However, I want to have WiFi.

My preferences:
    QWERTY keyboard, WiFi, E-mail, texting, use of productivity apps, sync with laptop, etc.

Do you think I will be able to achieve what I want with an unlocked BB in a country that does not have BB support and very few have heard of a BB?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by kxm9976; 02-08-10 at 02:21 AM.
    02-08-10 01:52 AM
    if you don't plan to use the BIS/BES then IMO BBs are not worth it. it would be better to get a Nokia instead. Europe especially Russia and East Europe are fond of Nokia 's and it would be easier for you to get service if you ever run into trouble and also tethering on Nokia is much easier than on BB.
    02-08-10 05:27 AM
    I use a BlackBerry in Finland and am probably the only person to do so. There is no carrier support for BlackBerry, but I manage to do very fine without it.

Couple of things:
    a) You won't be able to use anything developed by RIM. This includes applications such as Facebook, Google Talk, Windows Live Messenger, BlackBerry Messenger, et cetera.

b) Forget e-mail. Best you can do is install LogicMail (works with WiFi) or use the Google Gmail app (requires GPRS data). Or if you are in for a good professional solution, I recommend AstraSync (costs money).

c) Few applications make real use of WiFi. With BlackBerry WiFi is a lost case, I strongly recommend an iPhone or similar for purely WiFi use.

d) Tethering without a third party solution is impossible, the cheapest like Tether (formerly TetherBerry) costs quite much, so maybe not what you want.

I wholeheartedly welcome you to this journey of using a BlackBerry without BIS/BES, but I also warn you that there are a few things that will set you back more than just money. An iPhone or Nokia would be better suited for your use (I recommend the iPhone for the ability to use virtually anything with a WiFi connection, including e-mail using the native e-mail client).
    02-08-10 05:51 AM
    if you don't plan to use the BIS/BES then IMO BBs are not worth it. it would be better to get a Nokia instead. Europe especially Russia and East Europe are fond of Nokia 's and it would be easier for you to get service if you ever run into trouble and also tethering on Nokia is much easier than on BB.
    Actually, I am also looking into Nokia E63 and E71. As much as I'd like BB, it seems like it is going to be a pain in the **** to get it work as I want it over there.
    02-08-10 12:58 PM
    I use a BlackBerry in Finland and am probably the only person to do so. There is no carrier support for BlackBerry, but I manage to do very fine without it.

Couple of things:
    a) You won't be able to use anything developed by RIM. This includes applications such as Facebook, Google Talk, Windows Live Messenger, BlackBerry Messenger, et cetera.

b) Forget e-mail. Best you can do is install LogicMail (works with WiFi) or use the Google Gmail app (requires GPRS data). Or if you are in for a good professional solution, I recommend AstraSync (costs money).

c) Few applications make real use of WiFi. With BlackBerry WiFi is a lost case, I strongly recommend an iPhone or similar for purely WiFi use.

d) Tethering without a third party solution is impossible, the cheapest like Tether (formerly TetherBerry) costs quite much, so maybe not what you want.

I wholeheartedly welcome you to this journey of using a BlackBerry without BIS/BES, but I also warn you that there are a few things that will set you back more than just money. An iPhone or Nokia would be better suited for your use (I recommend the iPhone for the ability to use virtually anything with a WiFi connection, including e-mail using the native e-mail client).
    Thank you for your suggestions, there all very valid points. Iphone is out of question because I don't like touch screen. I am looking into NOkia E63 and E71 as well.
    02-08-10 01:00 PM
    Thank you for your suggestions, there all very valid points. Iphone is out of question because I don't like touch screen. I am looking into NOkia E63 and E71 as well.
    get the E71.wonderful device.I use it regularly as a back-up.
    02-10-10 01:06 AM
    get the E71.wonderful device.I use it regularly as a back-up.
    It appears that the US Versions E71 or E63 only support US 3G (UMTS 850/1900 MHz) and not UMTS 900/2100, therefore, will not work on European 3G, correct?
    Last edited by kxm9976; 02-10-10 at 01:21 AM.
    02-10-10 01:16 AM
    Where exactly are you going, you'll be surprised of what you can find in eastern Europe. If you go for 2 years I would suggest a local contract.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-10-10 02:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD