First off, I'm a blackberry fan, and currently have the 9650. Can anyone tell me why people say blackberry is the best at e-mail when the iPhone has full html e-mail. The iPhone will also show folders in your e-mail as well. Does the argument that blackberry does e-mail best only apply to BES? Your thoughts?
    05-12-11 10:01 AM
    you are kinda correct, BES isnt bad but BIS does have many drawbacks that other systems with activesync/exchange support can excel at for typical consumers
    05-12-11 10:34 AM
  3. T
    Do the other platforms offer Level 1 filtering capabilities?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-12-11 10:44 AM
    I have not used other platforms before but I guess its because of its push emails.

05-12-11 10:46 AM
    It's the push email/technology, but with the lack of full HTML working is a huge drawback for some people. The "push" on Android/iPhone is decent and just doesn't seem to work all the time(comes in scattered sometimes with Gmail on Android). I dont rely on email for work or anything so it's not a deal breaker for me.
    05-12-11 10:50 AM
    push email for some email is still better on BIS but android and iOS both are catching up fast on services that use push capability to where its not a huge advantage anymore.
    05-12-11 11:03 AM
    Depends what kind of email you have and what you use it for. If you have gmail they're all good, if you have your own domain email you can have push on blackberry for up to 10 accounts without exchange or anything else. This is where all the other can't match blackberry.

05-12-11 11:20 AM
    You can use Logicmail and It will give you full HTML with maybe a couple bugs.
    05-12-11 12:08 PM
    Ok, then can someone tell me if bb is the best for my situation. I have 2 email acct's...one is hotmail the other is outlook express through verizon. I am on BIS, a business owner and I have 2 domain email addresses, 1 pushed to each of those accounts. Is there a better platform than what I currently have? Or will I not benefit much by changing?

I have never had issue with bb email support but I'm always open to better...
    05-12-11 12:44 PM
    You can use Logicmail and It will give you full HTML with maybe a couple bugs.
    As well as all your old emails, I use it for back up. I rarely fire it up but makes me feel better just being there

05-12-11 12:45 PM
    The whole "messaging" experience on Blackberry is phenomenal. The ease of use of this feature is the one thing that kept me from changing from Blackberry to any other phone.

I will never ever switch. I've convinced 7 of my friends to buy them and they're all happy.
    05-12-11 01:16 PM
    Here's my take on it. I've used all sorts of platforms as well. WM, Android, BB and played around with iOS. Not a huge fan of Android, WM is a piece of crap, and iOS is probably the only other OS I like aside from BB. For me the only difference is the how I use the entire phone.

Example:

BB - For me I don't see this a completely "multimedia" device like the iPhone. It's use is strictly messaging, email, and occasional web browsing. For work I use it to take picture of parts and email them straight to vendors so they can order the right things. The battery life is beyond phenomenal and the call quality on the mediocre to high-end BB's is fantastic.

As for the emails...I was just doing a comparison the other day with a friends iPhone 3G S vs my BB 8900. I sent email from an account not attached to my BB, and my BB would receive and send msg's faster than the iPhone 3G S. For me too I like the way that inbox on BB indexes the messages vs the other OS's out there.

iPhone - I LOVE this platform as much I do my BB. As an overall phone to do absolutely everything I would ever want, this is the phone to do it. I, like another user posted early, do not rely on email for work so it's not a huge deal breaker for me how faster or often my emails come in. With that being said, however, I wend from a WM phone to a BB and LOVED the changed. Then went from BB to Android, thought I like it, but was not really impressed. iPhone, crazy awesome! I don't own one, but have played with many of them, this is the only OS that is making me think of eventually switching from BB, but only time will tell.
    05-13-11 07:43 AM
    I use both BB and Android. For the most part, emails to my BIS account, and to my gmail account both show up very quickly (pushed to either device). When sending messages to a POP account, both have some lag, depending on the frequency that they poll the email servers.

If I set up POP accounts to go through my gmail account, it has a poll interval on their server (similar to BIS). If I have the POP account polled directly from my Android device, I can set the interval time.

Where the BlackBerry shines is the messaging interface. The unified message folder shows a lot more than just emails. The ease of getting into the message system is very quick on the BB. The fact that it is an integrated part of the BB system just adds to the ease of use. Everything gets pushed through the BIS/BES server, so the actual device doesn't have to poll for email, which saves battery.

On Android (I use K-9 Mail), I use a unified inbox for viewing messages, so it is somewhat similar (although only email shows up), and I have different poll times set up based on the different accounts. Important accounts are set up with poll times of 5 to 15 minutes. Accounts I don't use much are set to poll 30 to 60 minutes. The more the email app polls the server, the more battery it will use, so I don't have every account checking every 5 minutes.

Getting the best email experience on Android means having to try different email applications (the default one is just okay, and for me, was not completely reliable). So, it means having to tweak and configure things to begin with. Where Android shines is better HTML email viewing. The other thing that I found is that with some emails (mainly order forms for my business), they would get truncated on the BlackBerry. I get the full email on Android.

The way I have things set up, email accounts that I want quick and easy access to are on the BB (plus my @carrier.blackberry.com). For business emails, I have them going to my SGS so I can get the full order forms.
    05-13-11 09:16 AM
  14. T
    Where the BlackBerry shines is the messaging interface. The unified message folder shows a lot more than just emails. The ease of getting into the message system is very quick on the BB. The fact that it is an integrated part of the BB system just adds to the ease of use. Everything gets pushed through the BIS/BES server, so the actual device doesn't have to poll for email, which saves battery.
    Very well expressed and worth highlighting.

05-13-11 09:19 AM
    I think it pretty much has been said above. Blackberry is better for email, messaging and staying organized.

I use mine for media such as pictures, video and music. Music mostly. I also have the 9650 and am happy.

I'm waiting for OS 7 and 8 phones to come through. They will bridge the gap of technical specs, while still holding onto the superior messaging interface.

Should you switch? I dunno- you run a business and from what it sounds like, you email a lot. So my advice would be to hold out a month or two for the new bold and buy that.

Other than that there is the Droid Pro, which is first gen. Some people thinks it's amazing and others have had so many problems.
    05-13-11 09:39 AM
    And the good thing is that if you are on a new contract upgrade with the carrier, they may have a 10 day buyers remorse policy. You can try one phone and you don't like it you can take it back and get the other...best way to find out what you like/need to try them for yourself.
    05-13-11 05:18 PM
    And the good thing is that if you are on a new contract upgrade with the carrier, they may have a 10 day buyers remorse policy. You can try one phone and you don't like it you can take it back and get the other...best way to find out what you like/need to try them for yourself.
    I love my BB, and have for some time, but some great points are made about how e-mail could be done even better.

It's so weird, that by now, full-HTML e-mail, without truncation, is not a reality yet. Folder views as well, another. It'd be great to be able to not only receive access your messages, but to sort them accordingly when done, and have it sync with your desktop client or something as well.

Another thing, BB's have weird formatting issues sometimes. If you Google this, you'll find similar things, like e-mails not having carriage returns sometimes, or missing spaces. Formatting is not preserved very well on the BB sometimes, even with almost pure text.

Overall, IMO, BB is the best by a good margin when it comes to e-mail. But it's odd that they don't make the obvious steps to improve their strength and competitive advantage.

05-14-11 03:23 AM
    I'm happy for my blackberry's super e-mail delivery and qwerty keyboard

05-14-11 04:04 AM
    I am very happy with my mine as well. Still rolling on the 8900, but can't wait til my contract is up and I can get the newest Bold that will be out.

Also, just an off topic question, but how do you guys get that signature that says "Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com"? I've noticed a lot have it.
    05-14-11 07:49 AM
    It will show up automatically when you switch the forums to mobile site.
    05-14-11 12:15 PM
    It will show up automatically when you switch the forums to mobile site.
    How do you do that? lol

EDIT: Never mind I found it!
    Last edited by trav2001; 05-14-11 at 12:28 PM.
    05-14-11 12:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD