Hi there

I am new to the Blackberry (although I briefly owned an 8700 back in 2006) and have just purchased a as-new 8120 with an Orange (UK) 5/month 50MB PAYG.

Now - this is great and it works OK... and I was given a @blackberry.orange.co.uk e-mail address. Is this the same as a @blackberry.com address? Or it just another e-mail server that blackberry polls? I ask this because e-mail delivery is almost immediate on a blackberry.com address (I am told...) but I am not sure if this orange address is anything similar?

If it were not for instant push (that I require to get server alerts from our data server) the BB would not offer me any more benefits than a simple unlimited GPRS data plan which are almost free in the UK now (O2 offer it free if you credit your account 10/month) - with this I can simply poll the servers direct via POP and get them probably faster than the BB (which is just an intermediate step using this method).

Not to knock the BB... its a very nice device... but would appreciate to know if the orange is a proper direct push address!

thanks
    edika
    Last edited by edika; 03-04-10 at 08:17 PM.
    03-04-10 08:11 PM
    Any email to BB is true push. That makes it thousands of times more efficient on bandwidth than repeated polling to find there is nothing new.
    03-04-10 08:41 PM
    Thanks for the reply and I am in full agreement with you there.

I just wanted to clarify is an email to @blackberry.orange.co.uk equivalent to an @blackberry.com address. Orange (UK) customers receive this type of address.

Thanks!
    03-04-10 09:03 PM
    Yes it is. There will always be ONE automatic BB address with every BIS account.
    Some carriers call it @blackberry.com, some don't and go with the carrier name
    instead, as you have discovered.
    03-04-10 10:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD