I saw at Barnes & Noble yesterday the BlackBerry for Dummies book. Has anyone bought or read it? Is it helpful?
    07-10-08 11:48 AM
    This site will be 1000 times more useful than the Dummies book could ever be!!

This forum is dynamically growing, learning and adapting to new technology. There is so much info and help available it would blow any book outta the water!
    07-10-08 11:50 AM
    I haven't read it but I think this site is like a FREE version of that book, but better since you can't ask a book a question.
    07-10-08 11:51 AM
    i've seen it, skimmed thru it, its nothing in it that cant be found on the sticky's here. nothing i saw it in was something new
    07-10-08 11:51 AM
    It couldn't hurt though. Of course I'd still trust this site more.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-10-08 11:53 AM
    Check it out on Amazon.com...9 reviews.
    07-10-08 12:05 PM
    Agree, this site is better then a book. plus a book doesn't give you downloads
    07-10-08 12:07 PM
    I skimmed through one and it really seemed to
    be a rehash of the owners manual.
    07-10-08 01:05 PM
    lol that is because nobody reads them anyways, so they figure if they put dummies on it, then would get a good response from consumers...
    07-10-08 01:11 PM
    Yeah Cap, you're probably right.
    But I get more out of this place than any book.
    07-10-08 02:00 PM
    I saw at Barnes & Noble yesterday the BlackBerry for Dummies book. Has anyone bought or read it? Is it helpful?

its more commonly called 'm not smart enough for a BB so i bought an IPhone
    07-10-08 03:04 PM
    I MIGHT buy it if it was written by someone from this site... just for support.

But, I can get practically EVERYTHING I need from CB. Plus some more... and a ringtone
    07-10-08 03:10 PM
    But, I can get practically EVERYTHING I need from CB. Plus some more... and a ringtone
    Hadn't thought about that angle, but, sho' ya right!!
    (Translation: Yes that is an absolutely correct and
    elucidating point)
    07-10-08 03:20 PM
    You know how Walmart is your one stop shopping place for food clothes etc? Well crackberry is your one stop shopping place for everything blackberry. This place has everything that a book would have + a whole lot more, and here there is always new info and I get a laugh from some of the responses.
    07-10-08 03:35 PM
    I bought it and everyone is basically right, these site can give you so much more. It is extremely basic, like where to find the options menu, etc. Would be a waste of money for anyone who has a little bit more than basic knowledge of their BlackBerry.

Plus many parts of it are already outdated. There is a link for new updates for the book but I find this site to be basically all I need. BlackBerry Forums can be useful as well.
    07-10-08 04:54 PM
    YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE BABY CRACKBERRY IS DOPE!!! BEATS THOSE CHUMP DUMMIES SERIES BOOKS ANYDAY!!!
    07-10-08 07:51 PM
    Sorry to go against the grain, but I bought it and really enjoyed it. I learned a lot from it and still go back and review different areas. For a beginner, i think it is very well written and laid out. It follows a logical procession from set-up to all phases of operation. Very good book.
    07-10-08 07:59 PM
    I haven't read it but I think this site is like a FREE version of that book, but better since you can't ask a book a question.
    Well said.
    07-10-08 08:05 PM
    There's two verions, a 2005 and a 2007. They're almost identical. I've read the 2005 cover to cover after borrowing it from the library. (Seriously you'd buy a book nowadays??)

I've also happen to see it as a PDF download on some torrent sites (ssshhh!)
    07-10-08 08:06 PM
    LOL after all that I forgot to tell you what I thought of it!

It's basically a beefed up owner's manual in an easy to read format. I read it when I first got my Curve at the end of May, and I knew nothing about the Blackberry format.

As has been stated in this thread, this site is 1,000 times more informational than the book. However, if you're an information seeker like I am, I would check it out. Maybe you'll learn a shortcut or something you didn't know about and might not have happened across on this site.

There is also a book called "Hacking The Blackberry" which I haven't read. I don't believe it has anything to do with illegal type hacking (I'm waiting for one particular "developer" on this site to jump down my throat on this), but rather short cuts and tips.

Also, there is a Pearl For Dummies, but I haven't looked at it since I don't own a girl's phone.
    07-10-08 08:10 PM
    Also, there is a Pearl For Dummies, but I haven't looked at it since I don't own a girl's phone.
    Hahahaha

What do you think gets ripped on more the pearl or the iphone?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-11-08 08:13 AM
    The Pearl
    07-11-08 08:47 AM
    there was a post yesterday that VZW employees are logging into Crackberry.com at the store to answer customers questions.

Crackberry.com is the shiznit when it comes to bb information.
    07-11-08 08:58 AM
    I purchased this book off of Ebay for $2.99 brand new. The book is great, and it has a lot of helpful insight. When I purchased the book, I did not know about this site, but now that I do, the book is on the shelf. It was worth it for the money, it taught me things I didn't know.
    07-11-08 12:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD