When I travel to different time zones, my BlackBerry doesn't adjust my clock to the time zone I'm in. Is this possible on the BlackBerry? I did a search, but the posts I read related to this topic were old.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-07-09 12:52 AM
    AFAIK, it's not possible, and if I'm not mistaken, it's to keep any appointments you have made unchanged so the times and dates don't get messed with (not 100% on this).
    07-07-09 12:54 AM
    Yes, it's working as designed.
    07-07-09 06:13 AM
    07-07-09 07:07 AM
    Just set the time to network time in the time/date settings and it will update as you travel to diff time zones.

07-07-09 09:12 AM
    Nope. That's incorrect.

The MINUTES will adjust to the Network time, but the HOURS will not automatically change.
    07-07-09 06:14 PM
    Thanks for the info.

07-07-09 10:13 PM
    Not only does it not adjust to the current time zone, any navigation application you have on your bb will not properly function...some apps like VZ Navigator (Verizon) get an error message that says "cannot complete your request". I found this out while I was traveling from MI to TX for a wedding. My navigation stopped working, and I noticed my phone didn't have the correct time zone set; so I changed it. And everything worked fine after that...btw maybe its verizon but I know for a fact it does not automatically change time zones

Last edited by i_b_rickjames; 07-07-09 at 10:28 PM.
    07-07-09 10:26 PM
    I didn't have an issue with VZnavigator when changing time zones. Only in a few areas that did not have an EVDO signal where it would not process my request.

07-07-09 10:37 PM
    Without going into all the details (for that, read amazinglygraceless's link), this is by design.

The upshot is that a smartphone calendar requires that the device's time zone remain static so that appointments don't get skewed as you travel across time zones and sync with a computer. If the time changed automatically, especially in transition areas, an appointment could get changed that shouldn't be changed. Remember, you could be in one time zone but hitting a tower in another one. Then when you sync with, say, your laptop (where the time zone didn't change), you'd be screwed.

This is particularly critical for someone like me, because I literally live in the Central Time Zone but work in Eastern. So I drive from CDT to EDT in the morning, then from EDT to CDT in the afternoon. I sync with my work laptop, which is on Eastern. I have both my business and personal calendar items combined on the same calendar. If my time zone changed automatically...well, let's just say I'd be in big trouble!
    07-07-09 10:38 PM
    Not designed that way. Too much chance for error. What if the cell tower you are receiving signal from is in one time zone, but you are actually in another?
    07-07-09 10:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD