Everything starts with one.

BlackBerry is not at a position to choose whether they go for enterprise or consumer. They have to do both.

Other companies, even though they are doing better than BlackBerry right now, they are aiming for both the consumer market and the enterprise market.

Posted via CB10 using BlackBerry Z10
    Other companies have money. And 10s of thousands of employees. BlackBerry is under 7000.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    09-20-14 12:15 PM
    That was then and this is now. Two entirely different situations.

What would it really do if they gave this guy a blackberry? Suddenly all of Hollywood would want one? Suddenly Apple wouldn't matter? There is a time and place for everything.

Proudly using a Blackberry Q10!
    I meant in general. Why should BlackBerry stop trying to appeal to the masses just because it's focusing on enterprise. As for giving Luke Wilson a BlackBerry, maybe it will do absolutely nothing or maybe he will love the new product and talk about it, share it, show it off. Most people have no clue about new BlackBerry products or what they can do. No different than saying "Why Vote, my vote won't make a difference"

And by the way, It's not different it's exactly the same thing. BlackBerry has always been known for their enterprise. Back then BlackBerry took a look at the iPhone and said "ehh it will never take off, we're going to keep doing the same old thing we've always done and people will eventually realize our product is better." How did that work out?

Posted via CB10
    09-20-14 12:31 PM
    Come on! I keep hearing this from people. One is not exclusive from the other. Just because they are concentrating on enterprise doesn't mean they should drop the ball on the general market. Any opportunity to grow your brand is important to take advantage of.

Posted via CB10
    I don't disagree with you but I'm pretty sure this is BlackBerry's strategy whether or not we like it. They are focusing on enterprise and not consumer at this time so any advertising will target the enterprise market.

Posted via the CrackBerry App
    09-20-14 12:35 PM
    And the other is society not encouraging people to discover things by themselves... always held by the hand...

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    Says who Mr. Philosopher? Have you interviewed all of society? Don't group people like that. It's what starts wars.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-20-14 12:48 PM

BlackBerry is not at a position to choose whether they go for enterprise or consumer. They have to do both.

Other companies, even though they are doing better than BlackBerry right now, they are aiming for both the consumer market and the enterprise market.

Then you had better tell Mr. Chen he doesn't know what he is doing.

09-20-14 12:49 PM
    I meant in general. Why should BlackBerry stop trying to appeal to the masses just because it's focusing on enterprise. As for giving Luke Wilson a BlackBerry, maybe it will do absolutely nothing or maybe he will love the new product and talk about it, share it, show it off. Most people have no clue about new BlackBerry products or what they can do. No different than saying "Why Vote, my vote won't make a difference"

And by the way, It's not different it's exactly the same thing. BlackBerry has always been known for their enterprise. Back then BlackBerry took a look at the iPhone and said "ehh it will never take off, we're going to keep doing the same old thing we've always done and people will eventually realize our product is better." How did that work out?

Posted via CB10
    What is different is the current smartphone market. If Blackberry had done it THEN they wouldn't be in the shape they are in. To do it Now is certain death. Apple and Google can eat them for lunch because they are not in solid enough shape to fight back. Better to heal your wounds and fight another day.

09-20-14 12:51 PM
    If enough people tell @BlackBerry about Luke Wilson, there's a good chance they will contact him.

Several folks - myself included - told them about Fox Sports TV personality Jay Onrait and his dying 9700, and a rep actually hooked him up with a new Q10 (which he raved about, btw).

The media battles are there; I believe BlackBerry is just very picky as to which ones to fight, that's all...

Posted via CB10
    09-20-14 12:53 PM
    I don't disagree with you but I'm pretty sure this is BlackBerry's strategy whether or not we like it. They are focusing on enterprise and not consumer at this time so any advertising will target the enterprise market.

Posted via the CrackBerry App
    Exactly. I understand people wanting them to be relevant in the consumer market today, but it's not going to happen. It will take time.

It's a good thing most posters here are not running BlackBerry or we may never see another consumer device. Let the experts do their thing.

09-20-14 12:53 PM
    Who's Luke Wilson ???

Posted via CB10
    Flatman likes this.
    09-20-14 01:11 PM
    He shoulda said I'll take privacy and security over music any day...

Or, I don't want my nude selfies going viral on the web!

Or... you get the idea ^^ would have shut those bleating sheep up!

Z10STL100-2/10.2.2.1531
    wnyjackson likes this.
    09-20-14 02:05 PM
    Who's Luke Wilson ???

Posted via CB10
    Thank u. I was wondering that too.

Posted via Q10 with 1154
    09-20-14 06:21 PM
    Who's Luke Wilson ???

Posted via CB10
    A guy who don't know how to listen music on his BlackBerry.
    09-20-14 07:57 PM
    What's wrong with CDs? They offer high fidelity music than what you can download on iTunes. If only people would depart from using crappy Apple earphones..

Cave, cave, moderator videt
    09-20-14 08:12 PM
    Of course, ITunes is not the only way to go, but it sure is a lot better than BlackBerry Link in terms of organizing music and editing meta tags.

I have to use a third party program (media monkey) to edit my song information.

In my opinion, while bb can play songs fine with its music player, Itunes is still better for putting the songs in the device in the first place.

I just put music on my device, then I listen to it whenever I feel like it. I hate iTunes. I find it more difficult to use than just dropping music on the device. Mass storage, I don't use bblink either.

Posted via CB10
    09-20-14 08:56 PM
    This is exactly the kind of mentality that has BlackBerry where it is now. Appealing to the average consumer is not going to hurt your campaign to atract enterprise business. At the minimum, take advantage of opportunities like this to market your product.

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry can't be jack of all trades. Is it too difficult to comprehend John Chen's business strategy? SMH. BlackBerry seems to be on right track now, which is stabilize first, become profitable next and then press full throttle.
    As long as BlackBerry keeps pumping out these ultra improved devices, consumers who truly want BB phones ought to be happy. BlackBerry can't please everyone.
    I'm very content that BlackBerry is still alive and very much in business and I can't wait to get my Passport.

Posted via CB10
    09-20-14 10:15 PM

No they don't have to do both. BlackBerry has gone back to its roots where its strength is in order to stabilize the ship and then start becoming profitable again.

Posted via CB10
    09-20-14 10:20 PM
    If enough people tell @BlackBerry about Luke Wilson, there's a good chance they will contact him.

Several folks - myself included - told them about Fox Sports TV personality Jay Onrait and his dying 9700, and a rep actually hooked him up with a new Q10 (which he raved about, btw).

The media battles are there; I believe BlackBerry is just very picky as to which ones to fight, that's all...

Posted via CB10
    You guys stole Onrait and O'Toole from us...morning sportscentre on TSN isn't the same anymore

Posted via CB10
    Dave Bourque likes this.
    09-20-14 10:55 PM
    Of course, ITunes is not the only way to go, but it sure is a lot better than BlackBerry Link in terms of organizing music and editing meta tags.

I have to use a third party program (media monkey) to edit my song information.

In my opinion, while bb can play songs fine with its music player, Itunes is still better for putting the songs in the device in the first place.

So why not "abuse" iTunes to just fix meta tags when necessary, then drag & drop the music from whatever directory on the PC to the phone? Cause that's exactly how I do it. I never use Link for that.

Posted via CB10
    09-21-14 02:14 AM
    So why not "abuse" iTunes to just fix meta tags when necessary, then drag & drop the music from whatever directory on the PC to the phone? Cause that's exactly how I do it. I never use Link for that.

Posted via CB10
    I agree and I use Media monkey for fixing the song tags. And it works well enough but I would rather use the BlackBerry specific program to fix the song tags and add the songs to the device right away rather than jumping through different hoops to edit the song tags.

Posted via CB10 using BlackBerry Z30
    09-21-14 02:20 AM
    this is why I use CDs. I rip them in a lossless format and enjoy them through some nice headphones (Not by Dre)
    Yep. Would have been awesome by the way if he would've responded "Oh yeah I prefer listening lossless music, so that's one reason I prefer BlackBerry. It's just convenient to pop in my 128GB cards filled with lossless music" :-D

Posted via CB10
    09-21-14 05:41 AM
    Then you had better tell Mr. Chen he doesn't know what he is doing.

If I had the opportunity to call him up I'd happily tell him that the one thing I think he has done terribly wrong if he wants to stay in the handset business at all is giving up on an in house consumer focused ecosystem of BlackBerry Branded software and services. Blend will not solve the lack of native Cloud services on BB 10. Where the heck is BlackBerry Wallet? Why is BlackBerry now PAYING 7 Digital when they don't even have a native app on BlakcBerry world and you dumped the built in music and video stores? The Amazon app store is NOT the answer to BlackBerry's woes. It will not achieve growth in the handset market with consumers. BlackBerry touts it's strength in places like South Africa, and other developing nations, but that strength is on the back of BB OS 6 and 7 BlackBerry Curve phones. Not BlackBerry 10. I eagerly await the earnings call on the 26th but I don't expect to hear the Z3 converted many in Asia away from old BlackBerry curves
    09-21-14 12:38 PM
    If I had the opportunity to call him up I'd happily tell him that the one thing I think he has done terribly wrong if he wants to stay in the handset business at all is giving up on an in house consumer focused ecosystem of BlackBerry Branded software and services. Blend will not solve the lack of native Cloud services on BB 10. Where the heck is BlackBerry Wallet? Why is BlackBerry now PAYING 7 Digital when they don't even have a native app on BlakcBerry world and you dumped the built in music and video stores? The Amazon app store is NOT the answer to BlackBerry's woes. It will not achieve growth in the handset market with consumers. BlackBerry touts it's strength in places like South Africa, and other developing nations, but that strength is on the back of BB OS 6 and 7 BlackBerry Curve phones. Not BlackBerry 10. I eagerly await the earnings call on the 26th but I don't expect to hear the Z3 converted many in Asia away from old BlackBerry curves
    I think you're getting ahead of yourself. A sound business plan does not take on everything at once. BlackBerry is losing money. They must become profitable again and soon. The only way to do that is focus on their bread and butter. If this works, in time, you may see more of what you want from them. Patience.

09-21-14 12:56 PM
    I just did too. But really this would be a perfect opportunity for BlackBerry to offer Luke a brand new Passport, Q10 or maybe even a Classic, for free. If he couldn't get used to iPhone I'm guessing a full touch screen like the Z10 or Z30 may not appeal to him. Really BlackBerry Marketing should be on the look out for other celebrities and VIP's who use BlackBerry and do the same.

Posted via CB10
    Don't you think he is aware that BlackBerry has newer phones? Comments like these and the Richard Branson thread kill me. These people haven't moved to BB10 and are part of BlackBerry's problem. BB is trying to move people away from legacy devices. They want people using the phones that they bet the farm on, BB10 phones. I have a brother the exact same way. He uses an old curve because he tried BB10 and hated it and didn't feel like learning anything new so he decided against Android and Apple.

Those of you praising Luke Wilson, do you realize that the phone he is using is the exact reason BB is in the mess they are in now? If he were to do a demo on his phone of say, the Web browser, he would be laughed out of the place and he would only reinforce people's opinions on BlackBerry being a dinosaur company. These people using these legacy devices shouldn't be praised, but instead asked, "why haven't you migrated to BB10?" And not "oh give it up for him for sticking with the dead part of BlackBerry."
    09-21-14 03:07 PM
48 12