The recent tragic events in Japan got me thinking about the role of a Blackberry in a disaster situation (if it survived and there was service of course). What steps should be taken to assure you will have the longest and most successful use of your Blackberry to aide you in survival?

Ensuring the longest battery usage would be first. I'm guessing turning off 3G, Wifi, vibrate and the like would be the immediate thing to do. Text instead of calls. Turn down screen brightness to a minimum. Any other tips?

Perhaps having a backup battery would be wise.

What other suggestions do people have?
    03-13-11 01:11 PM
    The real problem is "Will the cellular network stay up after the disaster". I had a friend in LA during the Northridge earthquake and he said that all the cell networks went down pretty quickly after the event (although the did stay up longer than his wireline).
    03-13-11 01:20 PM
    i'm sure cell reception, as Tiassa mentioned, would be a first. it doesn't matter if your blackberry has battery or anything - no signal, and i won't communicate.
    03-13-11 01:28 PM
    A friend who went through Katrina says the cell networks were down for voice but in many instances text still worked. Prepare to text a lot if need be.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-13-11 02:42 PM
    Best option is to turn the radio off and only turn it back on for short periods of time. Your BB should last for well over a week by just turning it on for 5 minutes an hour and turning it back off. Long enough to receive text messages and respond.
    03-14-11 06:37 PM
    HowStuffWorks "BlackBerry Software"

"BlackBerry & 9/11
    During and after the September 11 terrorist attacks, many cell phone networks could not handle the high volume of callers, particularly in the New York City area. At the time, all BlackBerry handhelds used a proprietary network. The BlackBerry network continued to work normally, leading to increased BlackBerry use among police, fire fighters and other emergency workers..."
    03-15-11 12:47 AM
    BlackBerry Messenger (BBM) Keeps Chilean Quake-Affected Connected CIO.com

"RIM's BlackBerry platform and the associated BBM service received acclaim shortly after the 9/11 terror attacks on NYC in 2001, because BBM and BlackBerry PIN messages were one of the only reliable ways for first-responders and others on scene to communicate after cell service went down.
    Since then, the U.S. government has become one of RIM's largest customers, investing heavily in BlackBerry devices for thousands of government workers."
    03-15-11 12:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD