well it told me after 15 min that i was running the newest software..guess they dont offer tmo yet. im heading to the tmo website.
    10-21-08 10:02 AM
    My bold has been a nightmare so far, always turning off and doing crazy things instead of working. I hope this upgrade in software will work. I have a macbook pro and tried to download the software but it didn't open. Can anyone help?
    10-21-08 10:58 PM
    My bold has been a nightmare so far, always turning off and doing crazy things instead of working. I hope this upgrade in software will work. I have a macbook pro and tried to download the software but it didn't open. Can anyone help?
    To the best of my knowledge, the update will only work on a Windows PC, not the Macintosh.

A critical requirement is the presence of BlackBerry Desktop Mangager. If you can not install that, there is no way to proceed with the update.

Borrow time on a friends computer.
    10-22-08 10:24 AM
    I have an 8830 on Verizon. When I try the online upgrade I get the following error.
    10-23-08 12:18 PM
    For BlackBerry Enterprise Server and BlackBerry Professional Software Users

If your BlackBerry smartphone is integrated with a BlackBerry� Enterprise Server or BlackBerry� Professional Software, please contact your IT administrator to find out whether your organization supports BlackBerry Device Software v4.5.

Welcome to CrackBerry.

The advise is clear on your issue, only BIS activated devices are eligible for this upgrade service.
    10-23-08 01:54 PM
    BIS? I have only heard of BES. It is not activated on a BES server. I am a normal Verizon Wireless user.
    10-23-08 03:21 PM
    Thanks for replying, It seems the upgrade software is not correctly identifying your connection properly.

At this time, we do not have a carrier upgrade posted for the 8830. Verizon lists v4.2xx, maintence release 3 as your current device software.

Last edited by Reed McLay; 10-23-08 at 04:31 PM.
    10-23-08 04:23 PM
    I am the new owner of a BOLD which was bought in Toronto Canada. I have now moved back to UK. Since being back, Bold has been crashing regularly so I decided to upgrade as directed by ROGERS. Since I upgraded yesterday, I have no web activity, no pin activity and no email activity and cannot get the 'radio' back on. My WiFi is connected but that's about it. The whole point of purchasing the BOLD was to work through WiFi!
    10-24-08 04:31 AM
    When I updated my Pearl, there was a message that I would have to re-establish my my connections. That happened automatically within a couple of minutes.

If you are using another carriers SIM card, you have have to do that manually. Options / Advanced Options / Host Routing Table, press Menu and select Register Now.

If that does not work, call your carrier and request that they re-send your service books.
    10-24-08 10:26 AM
    i have an unlocked 8100 running on a network different from the original, will the vendor.xml file be from the original network or the new network?
    10-24-08 01:36 PM
    BlackBerry Device Update appears to use the PIN number to identify your original carrier. The OS installed will be the original branded carrier. You don't have to be concerned with vendor.xml, it is all done automatically.
    10-24-08 02:54 PM
    Question: I have a Pearl 8130 and Sprint is my carrier. I used the update link in the very first post in this thread and successfully downloaded v4.5.

Is this software just for the desktop manager?
    When I use the bb itself and "check for updates" I get a message that there are none available.

I do not synchronize my bb with my desktop. I don't use the calendar (I use my beloved Palm for that), and frankly, I can't figure out how/why to use the desktop manager except to backup what's in the bb.

ETA: Okay, I just looked on the phone, and it says I have 4.3.0.71 (Platform 3.1.0.37).

So is the 4.5 just for the destop manager? I'm confused...
    Last edited by Lillieperl; 10-25-08 at 12:27 PM.
    10-25-08 12:15 PM
    BlackBerry Desktop Manager is very useful in itself. It is the best way to install third party software and the only way to do a Backup/Restore of your device.

Sprint has not yet released their approved version of the device OS software. When they do, the link will do the upgrade for you.

The similarity in version numbers can be confusing, but there are two separate products.

For clarity, I refer to BlackBerry Desktop Manager as v4.5 and BlackBerry Device OS as v4.5.xx because there have been multiple revision of the package through the development and acceptance cycle.

Last edited by Reed McLay; 10-25-08 at 12:51 PM.
    10-25-08 12:48 PM
    Hi. I like hearing from anyone who has tried this. I have a BB Curve 8310 and my carrier is AT&T and I want to upgrade to OS 4.5 and get a 8gb memory card. Do you know if anyone who uses AT&T has made this work? And what happens if your carrier doesn't support this? Also what is the website link to accomplish the upgrade?

Thanks
    10-25-08 01:38 PM
    Hi. I want to upgrade my desktop mgr to the latest version. Does the version of the DM have to match the version of your OS in your BB? So 4.2=4.2, 4.5=4.5 or can BB4.2=DM4.5? Will they link up together?

Thanks
    10-25-08 01:42 PM
    Hi. I like hearing from anyone who has tried this. I have a BB Curve 8310 and my carrier is AT&T and I want to upgrade to OS 4.5 and get a 8gb memory card. Do you know if anyone who uses AT&T has made this work? And what happens if your carrier doesn't support this? Also what is the website link to accomplish the upgrade?

Thanks
    At this time, AT&T does not support the automatic update. They will likley support it very soon now.

If your carrier does not support it yet, you will get a message that you already have the current version, nothing will change on your device.

The link is in the first post of this thread.

Hi. I want to upgrade my desktop mgr to the latest version. Does the version of the DM have to match the version of your OS in your BB? So 4.2=4.2, 4.5=4.5 or can BB4.2=DM4.5? Will they link up together?

Thanks
    You can use any version of BlackBerry Desktop Manager, they will all work correctly for updating the device software.

There are improvements in each version. The latest v4.6 includes support for IMAP email on your device. That would be the best choice.
    Last edited by Reed McLay; 10-25-08 at 02:24 PM.
    10-25-08 02:18 PM
    What's the newest OS for the 8330, where can I Download it?
    10-25-08 11:39 PM
    I upgraded to OS 4.5 on my Verizon Wireless Curve 8330, and it is working great.
    11-04-08 03:43 PM
    Looks like i needed an update of the app loader!

Working now!

BlackBerry Device Software Upgrade

Upgrading the millions of consumer BlackBerry out there is a big job. I cringe at the thought of all the frustration it would cause if they all tried to do it manually.

BlackBerry has build a set of web pages that control the whole process. You plug your BlackBerry in, click on a button and sit back.

When it is done, you will have a freshly updated BlackBerry with all of your data, settings and third party applications on the new OS.

If anything goes wrong, you will have immediate technical response from the support geeks at BlackBerry.

If you get the message "You are already running the current software", your carrier does not currently support the Automatic Update or you have already manually updated the software. As soon as your carrier signs on, it will work for you too.

Supporting Carriers:

Rogers (8100, 8110, 8120, 8300, 8310, 8320,
    8800, 8820, 9000)

Reported, but not confirmed:

Alltel
    T-Mobile (USA)
    Verizon Wireless (8330,
    8830)

Pending Carriers:

AT&T
    Bell Mobility
    Nextel
    Sprint
    Telus
    Virgin Mobile

Please try it with your carrier, when confirmed I will move them to Supporting carriers.
    11-04-08 08:50 PM
    I have bought a 9000 bold from Rogers and shipped it to Los angeles and had it unlocked and using Tmobile sim card. My phone has been constantly turning off and resetting itself and is really irritating me. How do I fix this?Do I just have to upgrade the software and if so how do you do it because I have tried and doesnt work, can someone walk me through it or can I pay someone to do It?
    11-06-08 07:05 PM
    can someone help me upgrade the software in my 9000 bold, it keeps on turning off and resetting itself.
    11-06-08 07:31 PM
    Unfortunatly, that is usually diagnosed as a hardware problem, nothing to do with your OS version.

Your circumstances are unusual, but the Bold is covered by a BlackBerry warranty. You may have to deal with BlackBerry directly if you have no relationship with Rogers.
    11-06-08 08:18 PM
    I got my VZW 8330 to update to 4.5.0.77 Worked great took about 45 mins start to finish. I downloaded software, installed, then opened desktop manager, application loader. let it run and it will be done. i can't post the url yet apparently but i put it in the title
    11-06-08 11:36 PM
    I updated my Verizon Wireless Curve the other day. So far, I have no problems - except I cannot see Facebook. When I go into my application loader on desktop software, Facebook is checked, but when I click "next" and the next screen says "The following applications will be updated or uploaded" Facebook is not listed.
    I am very confused - can anyone help?
    11-08-08 11:53 AM
    Brad again...

Tried to download the BB software update but said my software was up to date.

Still unable to get the VZW software to download. (I have V4.2.2.148)Anyone have any links other than the VZW site that would have the VZW update?

THNKS
    you can get 4.5 from Verizon on their site
    11-09-08 07:04 PM
105 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD