BlackBerry Device Software

Introducing BlackBerry Device Software v4.5
    Do more with the BlackBerry smartphone you already own. BlackBerry� Device Software v4.5 offers new features and is a free upgrade that can help you unlock a whole new appreciation for your BlackBerry smartphone.

BlackBerry Device Software Upgrade

Upgrading the millions of consumer BlackBerry out there is a big job. I cringe at the thought of all the frustration it would cause if they all tried to do it manually.

BlackBerry has build a set of web pages that control the whole process. You plug your BlackBerry in, click on a button and sit back.

When it is done, you will have a freshly updated BlackBerry with all of your data, settings and third party applications on the new OS.

If anything goes wrong, you will have immediate technical response from the support geeks at BlackBerry.

If you get the message "You are already running the current software", your carrier does not currently support the Automatic Update or you have already manually updated the software. As soon as your carrier signs on, it will work for you too.

Supporting Carriers:

Alltel
    Celluar South
    T-Mobile (USA)
    Rogers (8100, 8110, 8120, 8300, 8310, 8320,
    8800, 8820, 9000)
    Verizon Wireless

Reported, but not confirmed:

Bell Mobility
    Telus

Pending Carriers:

AT&T
    Nextel
    Sprint
    Virgin Mobile

Please try it with your carrier, when confirmed I will move them to Supporting carriers.
    Last edited by Reed McLay; 11-30-08 at 11:25 AM.
    10-10-08 02:33 PM
    Which 4.5?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-11-08 11:18 PM
    Ya exelant I was wondering the same thing

10-11-08 11:22 PM
    I believe you can also add VZW to the supported list.
    There are a number of posters who have stated they
    successfully upgraded using this process.
    10-12-08 12:05 AM
    Reading various info about updating OS for BB for a while now and I am still not sure what is recommended?
    I have a 8100 with OS 4.2 and what should be the mayor reason to upgrade OS?
    Then T-Mobile EU forwards to a misterious Czech website to download updates which doesn't feel very trustworthy.

THX
    10-12-08 05:15 AM
    I believe you can also add VZW to the supported list.
    There are a number of posters who have stated they
    successfully upgraded using this process.
    I'm also on VZW, but it would not let me upgrade. After going to the link, I clicked on upgrade and Run.

After the program loaded I received the following message:

Your Blackberry device is running the latest available software.
    Click Next to sign up to be notified by email when new software becomes available.
    10-12-08 06:25 AM
    Which 4.5?

That depends on the carrier.

Rogers updated my Pearl 8120 to v4.5.0.81 and also has the Curve 8320 listed with the same OS package, despite still not yet being available.
    10-12-08 09:40 AM
    Reading various info about updating OS for BB for a while now and I am still not sure what is recommended?
    I have a 8100 with OS 4.2 and what should be the mayor reason to upgrade OS?

Then T-Mobile EU forwards to a misterious Czech website to download updates which doesn't feel very trustworthy.

THX
    BlackBerry has a support page that lists the new features and improvements.

BlackBerry - BlackBerry Device Software

As for the strange forwarding, the North American carriers link directly to the BlackBerry Device OS page. I can not speak for the European carriers, but it would be hosted in your native language, somewhere in the EU.
    10-12-08 10:01 AM
    I'm also on VZW, but it would not let me upgrade. After going to the link, I clicked on upgrade and Run.

After the program loaded I received the following message:

Your Blackberry device is running the latest available software.
    Click Next to sign up to be notified by email when new software becomes available.
    Thanks for that update. That is the typical message when you are already at the currently supported version.

I tried to access Verizon's OS page, but it is asking for a valid email address and will not let me proceed.

I have moved Verizon to Reported, but not confirmed.
    10-12-08 10:07 AM
    Hello,

I am struggling to get VZW site to complete download and the BB software upgrade page doesn't show an upgrade button.

Can someone offer any help?

Had a BB 8830 for one year but still feel like a newbie.
    10-12-08 10:12 AM
    There are four tabs across the top, the one on the far right brings you to the Upgrade page with an Upgrade button at the bottom.

The Overview page contains an Upgrade Now button, that will take you to the Upgrade page.
    10-12-08 10:50 AM
    Good information here Reed! I have tried recently and it just comes back with "Your carrier does not support this feature" for me T-Mobile phone.
    10-12-08 11:11 AM
    I suspect it is just a matter of time now.

All of the carries are watching the roll out to insure it is working reliably. Once it is proven to their satisfaction, the rest will have one less excuse for not joining the party.

10-12-08 11:45 AM
    Thanks, Reed. I realized the failures of my way...I had the web page open in Chrome, not IE. My fault! Helps to read the information on the page...
    10-12-08 11:48 AM
    Brad again...

Tried to download the BB software update but said my software was up to date.

Still unable to get the VZW software to download. (I have V4.2.2.148)Anyone have any links other than the VZW site that would have the VZW update?

THNKS
    10-12-08 12:58 PM
    It worked for me and Im on VZW
    10-12-08 07:42 PM
    It worked for me and Im on VZW

How did you get it to work? I'm also with VZW. I tried deleting the vendor.xml file, and it still tells me that I'm running the latest available software.
    10-12-08 08:49 PM
    How did you get it to work? I'm also with VZW. I tried deleting the vendor.xml file, and it still tells me that I'm running the latest available software.
    Honestly, no clue.
    My husband did it for me, he just followed the prompts and did NOT delete the vendor.xml file since it was thru BB.com and not a carrier specific upgrade~>I dont know if this makes a difference or not but my bb has worked with NO issues since he did the upgrade last week. There was a point where it got weird bc it asked for a password and there isnt one on my phone, he just clicked ok and it kept going. One of the loading processes took forever and he thought it had froze mid process but he left it alone and it finished.

Sorry I cant help more. Stupid question but have you checked and made sure that you arent already running 4.5?
    Last edited by WackBerry; 10-12-08 at 11:41 PM.
    10-12-08 11:27 PM
    I'm still running 4.3
    I'm about to try the upgarde that I found posted in the Crackberry Blogs.

10-13-08 07:42 AM
    I am with VZW and recently upgraded 2 phones in my house hold. All I did was plug in then download and follow the promts. It was very easy. No having to delete vendor files or anything. I am not too sure but VZW may offer the upgrade now. Hope this helps. BERRY ON!
    10-13-08 07:55 AM
    I can't believe I'm having so much trouble trying to do something that seems so simple. I receive the following error when trying to run the software:

Error 1316: A network error occure whilte attempting to read from the file

C:\Users\xxxxxxxx\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\ Temporary Internet

Files\Content.IE5\SCA2NA6V\ApploaderWebSL-Upgrade.msi
    10-13-08 08:56 AM
    I can't believe I'm having so much trouble trying to do something that seems so simple. I receive the following error when trying to run the software:

Error 1316: A network error occure whilte attempting to read from the file

C:\Users\xxxxxxxx\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\ Temporary Internet

Files\Content.IE5\SCA2NA6V\ApploaderWebSL-Upgrade.msi
    Zolved - Error 1316. A network error occurred while attempting to read from the file C:\Windows\Installer\iTunes.msi

The 1316 error has been addressed. Check it out, then try it agian.
    10-13-08 09:30 AM
    I guess Updating the Blackberry way won't work for me. I tried it using my personal computer, with no success. I did a fresh install of Desktop Manager 4.6 on another computer, clicked the upgrade link from the Blackberry site. I still get the message of "Your Blackberry device is running the latest available software. Click Next to sign up to be notified by email when new software becomes available." I'm running OS 4.3, and it's not the latest available software release. Not sure what the problem is.
    10-13-08 09:57 AM
    I see that you have VZW posted as a supporting carrier. I tried a few hours ago and the apploader told me I had the latest update (currently running 4.3), and that I could sign up for an email update when a higher version is released. Was this added within the last 2 hours? Also, what version is it? After numerous failed attempts, I'm currently upgrading version .77 posted from the sticky of the Blackberry Cuve 83xx Forum as we speak.
    10-13-08 12:16 PM
    I am running 4.5.0.81 on my Curve/8320 with T-Mobile. No problems at all.
    10-13-08 12:50 PM
105 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD