Is Blackberry Developing Quantum Computing R And D In Secret?

No it's no secret,\\ they are// but what douse it mean ? It is known that certainly it's founder Mike Lazaridis,( who still has large interest in blackberry)
    along with Doug Fregin , has invested a large sum one hundred million of there own money ,setting up two research facility's to develop just that.

Mr. Lazaridis, is not alone in his belief that work being undertaken on quantum technologies in Waterloo will have a wide-ranging impact.

During the dedication in fall 2012 of the new Quantum-Nano Centre at the University of Waterloo, funded by Michael and Ophelia Lazaridis, Stephen Hawking said, "This institution will advance our understanding of matter and movement, illuminating deep mysteries with the light of scientific discovery." Dr. Hawking is the Lucasian Professor of Mathematics at Cambridge University, a position first held by Sir Isaac Newton, and regarded as the leading theoretical physicist of our time.

For more than a decade, Messrs. Lazaridis and Fregin have worked to bring together in Waterloo the best and brightest minds from around the world in physics, engineering, mathematics, computer science and materials science to collaborate on cutting-edge quantum research. The Quantum Valley Investment Fund, is designed to provide the financial and intellectual capital needed to transform ideas and early-stage breakthroughs into commercially viable products, technologies and services.

Certainly it looks like company's like IBM and GOOGLE are now following suite, so i would think the Quantum Valley Investment Fund has a significant head start , a ten year head start ( and we all know what that means in the tech industry) ( first one that crosses the Finnish line get the $$$ I'm shure the patints are being registerd at a feverish rate as a reslut of the research .

Only now are the others starting to take notice RE/ IBM/ GOOGLE// I think it is safe to say that Mike Lazaridis, is a visionary of our time / I hope one day he get's the credit he deserves. and that people see his true genuis .

"I know what you thinking" OKOK but get to the point!

well the point is this, Quantum computers are Cumming and sooner than you think

they will revolutionize the computer industry more so than the chip did. The computers utilizing Quantum entanglement will be on the order of a trillions calculations per second at the same time the implications are truly mind boggling

LOOK OUT WORLD BlackBerry's Back IN THE BIGGEST WAY YET :-)
    06-08-13 02:30 PM
    06-08-13 02:54 PM
    The way I read it is that it's a side project that has nothing to do with BlackBerry except for having the wake founder.
    Am I wrong?

Posted via CB10
    06-08-13 03:51 PM
    In a sense I think you're right. When Torsten talks about mobile computing I think he means that our smartphones will REPLACE our computers, and we'll just connect to whatever screen we want that's in the room. But our computer will always be with us. Hence his dismissal of tablets.

If so, then quantum computing is one way to get there, but by no means the only one. What we need, though is a handheld device that can process like a desktop as well as use apps. It's coming, I'm sure of it. Maybe sooner than we think...

Posted via CB10
    06-08-13 04:09 PM
    That's correct as poster cites: this has nothing to do with the Z and should only rekindle the memories of what in the end, proved to be a dysfunctional mgmt team.

Is this article supposed to make Z users sitting on their thumbs waiting for their devices to function at least as well as their 8900's of over half a decade ago feel better?

Yep, another inventor turned entrepreneur, albeit with some extraordinary ideas, who got too caught up in his own ego to recognize change necessary to recognize needs of his present and potential future customers. But he took the money and ran...ahhh, we'll okay, maybe was quietly chased away. Great, he can invest near Waterloo, enjoy perpetual beef Wellington, and be remembered as a local saint for charitable endeavors.

But I think it's Thors' job to pick up the considerable pieces and make something tangible for the future!! .... Hopefully he can address current consumer needs while saving the company for its loyal users and not just his pocketbook. ... Toe hold maybe, but we're yet a long ways off!!

Consider purging this thread from the Z forum. But, by all means, leave Lazaridis' (and maybe Balsillie's) photo in the trophy case and erect his statue in Waterloo Commons, and let's move on.

Posted via CB10
    06-08-13 04:39 PM
    I would agree.... just don't know how dots will connect but he is onto something amazing

Posted via CB10
    06-08-13 05:12 PM