Hello everyone, I have noticed there are many "comparison" posts on different devices out on the market. Most of them lately if your a Sprint Customer is the HTC EVO vs. the 9650 Bold, etc.

The thing is allot of the "comparisons" are more for the gadgets that the new phones have, but no one discusses the one MAJOR thing that Blackberry's are know for since the begining of RIM and the "berry". What is it you may ask?? Simple one word. SECURITY.

If I am not mistaken, Blackberry's (RIM phones) have the best encryptions of any phone on the market. In a day and age where Identity theft is so high, where people do almost everything on their phones, from texting to Ebay to transferring funds from your bank account, wouldnt you feel more comfortalbe with a phone that has a proven SECURITY record vs a phone with all the bells and whistles?

I, like many Sprint Customers have been on the Fence about the HTC EVO, but a business assoiciate brought up this point. He simply stated this, "why switch from the most secure phone on the market in a time like this?" I just had nothing to respond to that.

So I am opening this up to see what you folks think. Please, if you are unaware of the encryption the RIM uses in ALL blackberry devices and the server in which they use don't reply just your "opinon" lets base some of our responses on FACT.

By doing this, I think we all can then make a really solid decision on which phone is best for what purpose you choose.

Thanks for your time Everyone..

Jeff
    08-15-10 05:57 PM
    I'd like to see remote wipe, for BIS users.
    08-15-10 07:37 PM
    everything on androids has to be approved just like RIM phones.

so if you don't take the time to read comments from other users and you approve software that is trying to access stuff that is has no business accessing ( why does a wallpaper app need permission for text messages, ya know what I mean ), you deserve to get attacked.

and do you know there is only one Trojan virus on Android phones. and it comes in as a text message that you have yo open, install and give permission to... just saying

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-15-10 07:56 PM
    I am not saying that other brands such as HTC have no defense, I am just saying that RIM has been a frontier in Phone security since day one. That was their sales pitch way back in the day. They still focus on that. Look in the news these days, KBPS for example did an article on this. Found that governments were asking RIM to help with code breaking the phones since the governments can't do it. Even here in the USA!! I just know that Google gets hacked allot. Android is a Google platform, so in essence anyway that can hack google can hack the android phones. I think most customers just don't focus on this point, but focus on features and the bells and the whistles. I think RIM is the phone to beat for cell security.
    08-15-10 10:22 PM
    I am not saying that other brands such as HTC have no defense, I am just saying that RIM has been a frontier in Phone security since day one. That was their sales pitch way back in the day. They still focus on that. Look in the news these days, KBPS for example did an article on this. Found that governments were asking RIM to help with code breaking the phones since the governments can't do it. Even here in the USA!! I just know that Google gets hacked allot. Android is a Google platform, so in essence anyway that can hack google can hack the android phones. I think most customers just don't focus on this point, but focus on features and the bells and the whistles. I think RIM is the phone to beat for cell security.
    You are correct, Androids are Google powered phones, built on a Linux framework.

You HAVE to give permission for anything to work. If i install an application and do not give it permission to run, it sets on my phone, not being used. not being activated. And we do have anti-virus software out here to keep, spyware, malware, and othe viruses at bay.

Do they work? i dunno... never tried one.

I'm smart enough not to use my phone for personal sensitive data. I have bought stuff from Amazon via my phone but they use a encrypted SSL connection which isn't hackable. and since my CC information is store on Amazon's servers, i'm not transmitting my CC number.

08-16-10 07:53 AM
    That would be ideal, however, *if* you have a password assigned to the device, then 10 incorrect attempts will trigger a security wipe (default settings). There are also a few 3rd party apps with remote wipe functionality (SmrtGuard, BuddyGuard, etc). Yeah, I know it's not the same as you're suggesting, but at least there is a degree of security available.
    08-16-10 08:01 AM
    You are correct, Androids are Google powered phones, built on a Linux framework.

You HAVE to give permission for anything to work. If i install an application and do not give it permission to run, it sets on my phone, not being used. not being activated. And we do have anti-virus software out here to keep, spyware, malware, and othe viruses at bay.

Do they work? i dunno... never tried one.

I'm smart enough not to use my phone for personal sensitive data. I have bought stuff from Amazon via my phone but they use a encrypted SSL connection which isn't hackable. and since my CC information is store on Amazon's servers, i'm not transmitting my CC number.

The key word is I'm (meaning you) unfortunately, many are NOT smart enough, and they will install a rogue program that promises them something for nothing, or otherwise looks too good to be true. Businesses know this so this stick with Blackberry, because it's secure and ***** proof.
    08-16-10 08:04 AM
    The key word is I'm (meaning you) unfortunately, many are NOT smart enough, and they will install a rogue program that promises them something for nothing, or otherwise looks too good to be true. Businesses know this so this stick with Blackberry, because it's secure and ***** proof.
    Oh i agree, that's why I said in my first post, if you Download an application w/o reading the reviews, and give a program permission to something that should be getting said permission. You really cannot blame the OS or the platform for that mistake.

Blackberries do help make it ***** proof, but it shouldn't be up to the said company to do that for the end users.

Personal responsibility is something that has been long gone, and if we started holding "self" accountable.... eh i'm getting on my preaching box again i'll let it go.....

08-16-10 08:29 AM
    I think people are not getting exactly what I am trying to post, while others are. The point here is security. BB's lead the way in security for cell phones period. Now, here is the deal where people don't get it, and maybe its becaus they are naive about 3rd party malisous acts, but from personal experience, as a backyard programmer and buddies that work for Google and Yahoo they have to incorperate security software into their devices. So here is the catch, whenever a program is installed it can lead to a 3rd party hack weather or not you accept it or not. Just it being on your cell as "Accept this file" is enough to get into your phone as some milisous files use the "do not install" as an auto install. Its very complicated and cannot be discussed without boring most of the population. The fact is, BB has security software that is so good right out of the box, that even the BEST hackers at Google and Yahoo (for defense purposes not milisous) cannot hack a BB. THEY SIMPLY CANNOT. Now, back to the new "gadget" phones as I like to call them, people don't realize that when cell phones get more and more gadgets they get more and more prone to hackers. BB's just use a type of encryption process that is so complex that hackers justlook at the phone and say, " its a BB forget it" and walk away. For me?? Being that I DO use my cell for email, Ebay, all kinds of stuff, since most of these cells now a days are replacing your laptop to some degree (thats the point of a "smartphone") its nice to know that you have a cell that even the best hackers the government cant buy, cannot hack a BB. To me? that says something. Go to ANY PC mag or ANY electronic mag and ask if they have EVER heard of a BB hack? You will see what I am getting at. I just feel that this issure needs to be addressed and BB needs to promote their security more. This gives the customer a choice between best "gadget" phone, or the Best "secure" phone. That alone keeps me away from Android phones. When a new Evo comes out and in within 24 hrs people are busting its programing encrypton?? Thats scares me. Anyway, Im just waiting for the Bold to drop in price. How can SPRINT justify $199 with a 2 yr contract for a BOLD 9650 where as VERIZON offers the BOLD 9700 for $100 and get a 2nd for free? That there boggles the mind.
    08-18-10 11:03 PM
    Remote wipe is available for BIS via the SmartGuard app
    08-19-10 01:31 PM
    The Debate to me thickens. I really look at the HTC EVO as a "Entertainment" or "Gadget" phone, I see comparing the EVO and the BOLD 9650 like comparing a MAC to a PC. We all know which system is better but we still go to PC. Even though in this Case Apple does have the Iphone, I think the the Iphone is more like an android phone or vise versa than anything is like a blackberry.

I keep seeing people whine about "why doesn't BB come out with something like an Android Phone" "why this, why that" its quite simple. BB's are business like, Android phones are not. Bottom line. If you text allot, Email allot, and are on the go allot, and need a phone that you can manage with just one hand, then honestly folks is there really a debate here? The BB hands down beats the comp.

If you look at it as "Entertainment" like you download movies, search the web more than you email or text, stuff like that, then the Android Phones are best. Its all preference. I brought up the security of the BB's several times and no one really bit on that. I find that very odd in a day and age with identity theft on the rise. BB's by far are the safest phones in that regard.

I think I will hold on to my Curve untill the BOLD drops in price from SPRINT. I dont think I will go wrong with a BOLD for what I use a cell for. I average over 5000 texts and over 200 emails monthly and find the BB is just so easy to navigate, to type on, and just simply works. I may not be able to watch a movie from Netflix on my BB while taking a #2 like you could in a 4G area with a EVO but then again, thats when I do most of my email responses anyway. So instead of mocking BB for what they DONT do, you should really look into what they DO do. What they DO is provide an honest, safe, secure easy to navigate, easy to type and easy to use device that you can also use as a phone. haha.
    Last edited by jle50570; 08-19-10 at 05:56 PM.
    08-19-10 05:52 PM
    All of the Blackberry can't be hacked crap needs to go out the window. The easiest way to get hacked is to download a page with a malicious script embedded into a Flash page or a malicious Javascript.
    08-19-10 07:02 PM
    All of the Blackberry can't be hacked crap needs to go out the window. The easiest way to get hacked is to download a page with a malicious script embedded into a Flash page or a malicious Javascript.

You are semi correct. However, there are severe restrictions on which scripts can run on a BlackBerry, especially one on an Enterprise server. BlackBerry can be hacked but not as easily as it appears. I would be much faster and easier to hack something else.
    08-19-10 08:43 PM
    All devices have a potential for being hacked. Some more than others.
    There are entire worldwide web based cottage industries for assistance in hacking your phone - jailbreaking and rooting.
    What comparable global web based method is there for hacking a Blackberry?
    08-19-10 08:51 PM
    I have read on Android blogs and other tech blogs that BIS is no more secure than Androids and iPhones. Those sources said you have to have BES to have the great BlackBerry security. Unless you're using your BlackBerry from your employer, chances are good you are not using BES. I think you can use VPN and a couple other secured networks but not BIS. For the consumer BB user, it makes sense to ask for more Android or iPhone like capabilities, because if these tech sources are correct, then they don't lose any security advantage using an Android or iPhone.

By the way, something you really should think about if you overly concerned with security. Hackers don't need the end user to steal from the end user. It much easier to target an unsecured corporate network. So, they go into a regional clearinghouse or some internal network, and steal your sensitive info at a point where you have no control to protect it. Scary world out there. There's been a few major stories in the past several years where this has happened to 100's of thousands of people.
    08-20-10 12:58 AM
    Oh i agree, that's why I said in my first post, if you Download an application w/o reading the reviews, and give a program permission to something that should be getting said permission. You really cannot blame the OS or the platform for that mistake.
    I agree with you!
    08-20-10 05:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD