06-17-10 10:30 AM
68 123
tools
    I won't bother with the great business features of my Blackberry, since those are well established. I need great email access to run my practice, so I have a 9700. But I'm frustrated by the fact that I don't see the entertainment/media options of the OS improving much. Webkit browser will be great, but what else is coming? The apps available are paltry. Media playback is sad. I don't want 2 devices. My next phone may be an android phone or, sad as it is to say, an iPhone. Which actually has more useful apps for my profession (medicine) than Blackberry. Including electronic medical records.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-06-10 09:05 PM
    media playback is sad??? I dont understand this. Now I thought my Pearl had poor playback, but this 9700 i just got is sweet for playback. Smooth fast and does what I want. Combined with a 16gb microsd, I dont even touch my ipod touch anymore.

As for being dead as a consumer. I dont think so. I use mine soley for personal use and I love it. Actually, i cannot see myself switching to a different OS. I love the blackberry platform. Cant beat it. Sorry, I will pass on those laggy droid's
    06-06-10 09:10 PM
    What's wrong with the media playback?

06-06-10 09:10 PM
    I won't bother with the great business features of my Blackberry, since those are well established. I need great email access to run my practice, so I have a 9700. But I'm frustrated by the fact that I don't see the entertainment/media options of the OS improving much. Webkit browser will be great, but what else is coming? The apps available are paltry. Media playback is sad. I don't want 2 devices. My next phone may be an android phone or, sad as it is to say, an iPhone. Which actually has more useful apps for my profession (medicine) than Blackberry. Including electronic medical records.

I have 5 DVDs and a couple gigs of music on my 9700. Playback is fantastic!

Go to your droid or iphone. Get your tip and gas mileage calculators. If you need those kinds of app then you cant handle a smart phone anyway.
    06-06-10 09:27 PM
    I should rephrase the media issue: I often get laggy playback for large videos, especially from my SD. A few other I know with the 9700 have the same issue. You guys don't have this problem with, say, a TV show?

06-06-10 09:39 PM
    I do not have a BB for business. Mine is personal. I don't want or need a toy. I keep track of my husband's officiating and our nieces's sports schedules.

06-06-10 09:41 PM
    I have 5 DVDs and a couple gigs of music on my 9700. Playback is fantastic!

Go to your droid or iphone. Get your tip and gas mileage calculators. If you need those kinds of app then you cant handle a smart phone anyway.

Or go get my practice management apps on a phone. No need to be so cranky about your phone of choice. Blackberry just feels like it's falling behind on the apps front. A lot of the software I use is compatible with (has apps for) the iphone. Unfortunately, there is no Blackberry equivalent, and it's beginning to be an issue for me.

The fact that all of you get good video playback has me interested, though. I'll go surfing through the forums to see if there's some glitch on my phone.

06-06-10 09:46 PM
    You do realize those same types of apps are available for BlackBerry also.
    Dozens of them.
    06-06-10 10:08 PM
    @ OP. Simple answer, BlackBerry smartphones aren't losing touch with the consumer market.

06-06-10 10:20 PM
    you posted on a bb forum, and this is what you get: largely biased replies.
    06-06-10 10:31 PM
    you posted on a bb forum, and this is what you get: largely biased replies.
    True. I was hoping to learn something I didn't know about my Blackberry. Still hoping more apps show up.

06-06-10 10:48 PM
    the BB is not the ideal media playback device yeah it has the features to do what it needs to do and thats about it. the wow factor will never be there. my BB will never replace my ipod, unlike the iphone which is the multimedia / consumer device to have it takes the place of multiple devices and it does it well.

As for app availability, yes the same apps are available but 9 times or of 10 they're not done well. Usually they're featureless apps that just frustrate you in the end. And that's not a shot at the developer, its the BB OS it does not give the developer the freedom to create the same app that is available on the iphone or android OS.

Any anti-bb or post that is not 100% pro BB will be received with some negativity. A lot of user will not admit but they're fanboy's/loyal to RIM. You spend $400-500 on a phone and/or get locked into a 2yr contract you don't want to admit that your purchased wasn't for the best product out there, so you defend it too the end.
    06-06-10 10:50 PM
    True. I was hoping to learn something I didn't know about my Blackberry. Still hoping more apps show up.

don't hold your breath, until RIM rewrites the OS and allows access to the media card for app storage this is what you'll be seeing for a while. It takes about 3-4 close clicks to exit out of the media player. that thing is just a mess, it works but geez what were they thinking. Business people trying to be hip just does not mix
    06-06-10 10:56 PM
    This I really would not worry about, especially from a consumer standpoint.

In all the platforms the total number of apps is mostly meaningless due to
    duplication. Once you weed out the hundreds and hundreds of useless apps
    and similar apps (again, all platforms) there is good stuff out there.
    06-06-10 11:05 PM
    What!? Blackberry is a business phone? And I've been using mind for personal all this time. WTF!
    06-06-10 11:20 PM
    This I really would not worry about, especially from a consumer standpoint.

In all the platforms the total number of apps is mostly meaningless due to
    duplication. Once you weed out the hundreds and hundreds of useless apps
    and similar apps (again, all platforms) there is good stuff out there.
    agree eliminate all the theme's, comic books, and 200+ twitter related apps (i think its 249)... a lot of redundancy. I don't blame the developers you make what works and will make you money. but there is a clear App winner even with redundant apps removed. some mobile os platforms are just easier and more desirable to develop for.
    06-06-10 11:25 PM
    To answer the original question by the OP, "Is Blackberry Dead as a Consumer Platform?" Clearly you rang the bell. Good lord I have been waiting for you to give us and RIM direction...please, where should we go next?
    06-06-10 11:29 PM
    the BB is not the ideal media playback device yeah it has the features to do what it needs to do and thats about it.
    Uh BlackBerry Storm and Storm2? I've owned and/or used most all platforms including iPhone and iPod Touch. My Storm2 even my older Storm plays music and videos just as well as anything out there. And the odd thing is using my $300 pair of IEM's sound excellent with the Storm2's chipset just as well as an iPod.
    Last edited by mrspock2002; 06-06-10 at 11:37 PM.
    06-06-10 11:32 PM
    I never owned an iPod, but I do have a Sansa MP3 player. It has been retired since I got my 9000 last year. The 9000 with Klipsch Image S4 headphones has a better sounding media player than the Sansa MP3 player. I can even play FLAC files on my 9000.
    06-06-10 11:51 PM
    Uh BlackBerry Storm and Storm2? I've owned and/or used most all platforms including iPhone and iPod Touch. My Storm2 even my older Storm plays music and videos just as well as anything out there. And the odd thing is using my $300 paid of IEM's sound excellent with the Storm2's chipset just as well as an iPod.
    Honest question why did you by the Storm? The Storm was RIM's answer to the iPhone and the regular non-business user market. I'm not saying you would but I'm willing to bet that majority of Storm owners would have purchased an iphone if it was available on verizon at the time.

What i'm trying to say the ideal media phone is the iPhone it was design to do just that, RIM and the storm was an after thought it doesn't have the best touch screen, the player is "ok", apps are not all that, and developer tend to develop for the BB last. RIM has to decide what they really want to do the new iPhone is coming out with a forward facing camera perfect for video conference. Call the iphone a toy, candy, teen device... whatever, but apple can easily jump on the business video conference niche with easy. Something RIM should have done a long time ago. So now RIM will be playing catch up again. I know people had hearing the iphone/apple mentioned on a BB forum but they're doing the things that majority of consumers want
    06-06-10 11:52 PM
    Honest question why did you by the Storm? The Storm was RIM's answer to the iPhone and the regular non-business user market. I'm not saying you would but I'm willing to bet that majority of Storm owners would have purchased an iphone if it was available on verizon at the time.

What i'm trying to say the ideal media phone is the iPhone it was design to do just that, RIM and the storm was an after thought it doesn't have the best touch screen, the player is "ok", apps are not all that, and developer tend to develop for the BB last. RIM has to decide what they really want to do the new iPhone is coming out with a forward facing camera perfect for video conference. Call the iphone a toy, candy, teen device... whatever, but apple can easily jump on the business video conference niche with easy. Something RIM should have done a long time ago. So now RIM will be playing catch up again. I know people had hearing the iphone/apple mentioned on a BB forum but they're doing the things that majority of consumers want
    Videoconferencing, to me, sounds more like a business feature than a consumer feature. I have a webcam on my laptop PC. I used it once the day I got the PC, just to see if it works. I never had any desire to use it when chatting with my family members or friends. I have not used it at all in almost 2 years, so I have zero interest in videoconferencing on a phone, since I do not even care to do so on a computer.
    06-06-10 11:58 PM

For your needs and wants I'd dump the BlackBerry in a heartbeat. The grass is greener on the other side. Why limit yourself?
    06-07-10 12:09 AM
    Videoconferencing, to me, sounds more like a business feature than a consumer feature. I have a webcam on my laptop PC. I used it once the day I got the PC, just to see if it works. I never had any desire to use it when chatting with my family members or friends. I have not used it at all in almost 2 years, so I have zero interest in videoconferencing on a phone, since I do not even care to do so on a computer.
    think of it like this, when camera were first added to phones many people said I have a digital camera why would I need a camera on my phone. I'm not saying you'll ever need a camera on your phone for video conference but having that feature may come in handy for business and non-business use. If you ever been oversea video conferencing cellphones are amazing and work flawlessly. the US is at least 3-5yrs behind.
    06-07-10 12:30 AM
    think of it like this, when camera were first added to phones many people said I have a digital camera why would I need a camera on my phone. I'm not saying you'll ever need a camera on your phone for video conference but having that feature may come in handy for business and non-business use. If you ever been oversea video conferencing cellphones are amazing and work flawlessly. the US is at least 3-5yrs behind.
    Video phones never caught on for consumers even on landlines. There was one displayed at the 1964 World's Fair. Other than in some old Popular Science articles, it was forgotten.
    06-07-10 12:32 AM
    Video phones never caught on for consumers even on landlines. There was one displayed at the 1964 World's Fair. Other than in some old Popular Science articles, it was forgotten.
    I think Apple will dominate the market with mobile video conference and the ability to take forward facing pictures. Don't be shocked to see RIM copying the idea with a Storm 3 playing catch up again. I'm pretty sure other will follow right behind Apple
    06-07-10 12:45 AM
68 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD