Which actually has more useful apps for my profession (medicine) than Blackberry. Including electronic medical records.
    This is what I do not get about Blackberry's, especially with HIPPA. Why is it that there are indeed so many more medical oriented apps out there for the iPhone. A BB would be the ideal platform for these applications, yet they are lacking. I honestly cant figure out what is keeping the developers from making the apps. I know that if the medical field specific apps that are available for the iPhone were available for the BB those same developers would tap a huge market that is being ignored.
    06-07-10 12:25 AM
    This is what I do not get about Blackberry's, especially with HIPPA. Why is it that there are indeed so many more medical oriented apps out there for the iPhone. A BB would be the ideal platform for these applications, yet they are lacking. I honestly cant figure out what is keeping the developers from making the apps. I know that if the medical field specific apps that are available for the iPhone were available for the BB those same developers would tap a huge market that is being ignored.
    Yeah i keep on thinking I know why, but whenever I try to put it in words my mind goes blank.
    edit thanks devGOD i've completely forgotten about the devkit.
    Last edited by grahamf; 06-07-10 at 12:49 AM.
    06-07-10 12:30 AM
    the BB is not developer friendly. lack of space, processing power, screen size, and the list goes on. you'd probably want a touch scree anyway, just for the easy of use. the iPhone is just more user friendly. But if you're sitting at a conference table the BB wins cause you'll want the keyboard to type out an email or bbm someone.

And the iPhone gains more uses based on there App's if you're a doc or nurse and you hear about an iphone app that will make you job easier... doesn't matter what the BB has you're going to jump ship.
    06-07-10 12:46 AM
    the BB is not the ideal media playback device yeah it has the features to do what it needs to do and thats about it. the wow factor will never be there. my BB will never replace my ipod, unlike the iphone which is the multimedia / consumer device to have it takes the place of multiple devices and it does it well.

As for app availability, yes the same apps are available but 9 times or of 10 they're not done well. Usually they're featureless apps that just frustrate you in the end. And that's not a shot at the developer, its the BB OS it does not give the developer the freedom to create the same app that is available on the iphone or android OS.

Any anti-bb or post that is not 100% pro BB will be received with some negativity. A lot of user will not admit but they're fanboy's/loyal to RIM. You spend $400-500 on a phone and/or get locked into a 2yr contract you don't want to admit that your purchased wasn't for the best product out there, so you defend it too the end.
    I agree with parts if statement. BB owners do have a since of pride with their devices, however, you are assuming that we are actively choosing to ignore other devices. Other smartphones being better or more feature rich is the perception of others. People own BBs because they really want to. Clearly, they could spend the money on other devices if they want to. Every major carrier has just as many Android devices as they have BBs for the most part. BB users have choices, but not everyone cares about the same thing. Just because an Android device offers video calling, doesn't mean that everyone wants to use it. Just because the web browser renders full pages well doesn't mean that everyone holds web browsing to a high premium. These are niche devices that we are talking about. People choose based on what is best for them. There are many smartphone users that hold the physical keyboard in high regard. If you are someone who texts and emails a lot, that would be appropriate. Some users rely on exchange support, or battery life, or the vast PIM functions as their main priority. Sure, if someone wants enhanced multimedia capabilities, then an iphone or Android device may be better suited. But that's not the case for all people. I have friends that never use their smartphones for anything other than phone calls, texts, and emails. Why would they get a smartphone then that offers a bunch of features they won't use and shortside themselves on the things that matter most to them? I use my BB a lot, but if I had to rank what features I use, I would say that I use the web browser the least. Not because I think it is bad, but because I have little interest in web browsing. I don't really browse the web too much on my computer. I don't have that much interest in a boat load of apps either. I think I have 9 downloaded now, and will keep with that number for the duration I have the phone. I only want what I can use. I will speak to your statement about not admitting to a bad choice in purchasing a BB. Its not a bad choice if your personal experience is a good one. Brand loyalty stems from good experiences. Trust me, if these BlackBerry smartphone users didn't have good experiences, they wouldn't keep buying BBs. You can see that for yourself on the forums. Everyone who gets frustrated with their BB talks about jumping ship. Just like those who are fed up with their Android devices jump ship. I think we need to worry less about assessing the needs of others and persuading them to make choices based on our own perceptions. If you believe that your device is superior to a BB, that's your choice. Leave others to make their own choices. It doesn't do any good to criticize others for their smartphone purchasing decisions if it doesn't have anything to do with you.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-07-10 05:36 AM
    As a nurse, I must agree with the OP that apps for the medical community are lacking on the BB. Sure there is SkyScape, Epocrates, and Medscape but those apps all have major problems. Medscape can't be shut down. It always runs in the background sucking battery life. They also require yearly subscription fees that cost more than my license to practice. There is a free version of SkyScape that is useless. It would be great to have useful apps for the medical community since BB is supposed to be for business use but I'm not jumping ship just for a few more useful apps.

06-07-10 05:51 AM
    I have 5 DVD�s and a couple gigs of music on my 9700. Playback is fantastic!

Go to your droid or iphone. Get your tip and gas mileage calculators. If you need those kinds of app then you can�t handle a smart phone anyway.
    Did you read what he said? He needs medical apps which means he can probably handle a smartphone quite well.
    06-07-10 07:56 AM
    I have had no playback problems with video on my Tour. I watched movies in both directions of a flight to Phoenix recently and listened to music. It was fine. Now, adding to that, it would be nice if the BB's could play straight divx/avi files rather than needing one of the more specialized formats. Even my earlier 8830 played video without pauses or lagging - it was great in Europe last summer, particularly on the endless flights!

I can see where the BB's might fall down in some apps - the iphone seems to reign supreme in that area - both useless apps and some very useful ones.
    06-07-10 08:10 AM
    This I really would not worry about, especially from a consumer standpoint.

In all the platforms the total number of apps is mostly meaningless due to
    duplication. Once you weed out the hundreds and hundreds of useless apps
    and similar apps (again, all platforms) there is good stuff out there.
    I agree that it's not a pure numbers thing; I really have no desire for a beer application on my phone. But Blackberry does tend to lag behind in the different types of available apps, and that's what has me worried. I really don't see them catching up in this regard any time soon. I love the push email, and the sound quality of the phone is great. Unfortunately, BBM is only useful for a small fraction of the people I communicate with; all of them have text messaging, however, and though it's not ideal, it works.

The good stuff out there is more and more available for iPhone and Android. I really don't see the same push to develop apps for Blackberry, unfortunately. As I mentioned earlier, I want the medical software I see available on the other platforms to be available on my Blackberry.
    06-11-10 12:55 PM
    Right, with HIPAA, you'd think that app makers would be all over making medical applications for RIM devices. Yet very few are out there, and the some of ones that exist cause horrendous memory leaks (such as Epocrates). Why is that? Are there too few physicians and health care providers using Blackberries as compared to the other devices?
    06-11-10 01:08 PM
    As a nurse, I must agree with the OP that apps for the medical community are lacking on the BB. Sure there is SkyScape, Epocrates, and Medscape but those apps all have major problems. Medscape can't be shut down. It always runs in the background sucking battery life. They also require yearly subscription fees that cost more than my license to practice. There is a free version of SkyScape that is useless. It would be great to have useful apps for the medical community since BB is supposed to be for business use but I'm not jumping ship just for a few more useful apps.

I totally agree. I love what I can do on my blackberry, but the apps are lacking. That didn't bother me enough earlier this year when I got a second Blackberry, but is now that I discovered my medical practice software has an iPhone interface and no Blackberry interface. And no plans to release one. That's what is getting to me, and giving me second thoughts.
    06-11-10 01:15 PM
    Right, with HIPAA, you'd think that app makers would be all over making medical applications for RIM devices. Yet very few are out there, and the some of ones that exist cause horrendous memory leaks (such as Epocrates). Why is that? Are there too few physicians and health care providers using Blackberries as compared to the other devices?
    Specialized market is what it is. Most software developers won't approach it and the liabilities can be huge depending on what it's used for.

Personally I won't touch this market with a poopy stick.
    06-11-10 01:15 PM
    To some extent it is a numbers problem, and the complexity of applications required. The size of market and potential revenue per copy simply don't justify the cost of development or the outrageous cost of liability insurance which is necessary to protect the developer if a user does something stupid with a medical app. The commercial risk is simply too high.
    06-11-10 01:32 PM
    Specialized market is what it is. Most software developers won't approach it and the liabilities can be huge depending on what it's used for.

Personally I won't touch this market with a poopy stick.
    To some extent it is a numbers problem, and the complexity of applications required. The size of market and potential revenue per copy simply don't justify the cost of development or the outrageous cost of liability insurance which is necessary to protect the developer if a user does something stupid with a medical app. The commercial risk is simply too high.
    I see what both of you are talking about regarding liability and cost/benefit, and it's a great point. But what about companies that already provide iPhone medical software but not anything for Blackberry? That's where I see RIM losing ground, and it can't purely be about market share, since RIM has the lead in the smartphone market. My medical practice has software specifically for the iPhone, but I had to figure out my own partial workaround for my Blackberry which has only a quarter of the functionality.
    06-14-10 10:25 AM
    I use video calls extensively every day (from my computer) for personal reasons (not work related). I would love to see the BlackBerry have video conferencing capability, but I wouldn't switch to another platform just because it has that feature and BlackBerry doesn't.
    06-14-10 10:40 AM
    I see what both of you are talking about regarding liability and cost/benefit, and it's a great point. But what about companies that already provide iPhone medical software but not anything for Blackberry? That's where I see RIM losing ground, and it can't purely be about market share, since RIM has the lead in the smartphone market. My medical practice has software specifically for the iPhone, but I had to figure out my own partial workaround for my Blackberry which has only a quarter of the functionality.
    I think one thing to ask is do these people belong to a big company, or are they private developers lured by the ease of making apps?

If the former then it's up to them to support the BB world and let's hope they have deep pockets and lawyers.

If the latter, that's their problem. Sure it's easy to make any apps but one slip up in this world and they're going down for the count. Let's hope they understand what they're getting into.
    06-14-10 11:37 AM
    Or go get my practice management apps on a phone. No need to be so cranky about your phone of choice. Blackberry just feels like it's falling behind on the apps front. A lot of the software I use is compatible with (has apps for) the iphone. Unfortunately, there is no Blackberry equivalent, and it's beginning to be an issue for me.

The fact that all of you get good video playback has me interested, though. I'll go surfing through the forums to see if there's some glitch on my phone.

What apps are you looking for? I found everything I need for my Bold 9000.
    06-14-10 01:34 PM
    Please let me know when Android or iPhone can redirect business email. What apps are you looking for. I have a dozen apps on my BlackBerry that are a total waste of space, as are most of the apps on the other devices. I don't need a phone to shut my lights off. I remember to do it when I leave home.
    06-14-10 01:38 PM
    I know Skyscape, Medscape, and Epocrates for example, have apps for both BB and iPhone but they are not on equal par. Biggest difference is the UI, if you saw them side-by-side you would see the difference. The BB versions are simplified. Since I have both, I can use the one I need most at the moment.
    06-14-10 04:38 PM
    Of course Blackberry isn't dead for consumers.

The reason there isn't just ONE operating system in the world, one car company, one coffee chain, or one type of restaurant is that different people, at different times, need and want different things.

I am buying my first smart phone (I'm one of those old stodgy software engineers who refused to cary a pager, put off getting a cell, etc cause I get too much computer at work.) just now, and I'm buying a Blackberry.

It came down to features. It's like choosing an F150 because I need to haul stuff for the garden, over a Mini Cooper. (or visa versa for other other needs.)

In my case batter life, a hardware keyboard, email, texting, and good phone quality on a cheap plan were my key features. With THOSE features as #1 the Blackberry (9650 on Sprint) came out leagues ahead of the competition.

I researched iPhone, Android phones, Blackberries. I looked into all the wireless carries in my city and compared prices and features. I came out with not what is the "coolest" choice, but the one that fits my needs best.

It isn't a pissing competition boys, it really isn't. It's about each consumer finding the tool that works for them, and accomplishes what they need to accomplish on the budget they have set. Simple. Perhaps someday there won't be a market for RIM, but right now, there definitely is.
    06-14-10 04:54 PM
    Stick with your Bold and pick up an iPad. Best combination of devices ever.
    06-14-10 06:40 PM
    OMG, Do not dump a Blackberry for an iPhone!!! Or even a Droid.
    06-14-10 07:37 PM
    Stick with your Bold and pick up an iPad. Best combination of devices ever.
    I'm really considering it - will probably wait for the second generation iPad & its incremental but nevertheless so-called "magical" improvements before taking the plunge.

06-14-10 08:04 PM
    My question is simple and I hope someone can answer it simply:

My BlackBerry is on O2 in the UK. My friends iPhone 3gs is on O2 also in the UK. We're in a pub, I get GPRS, he does (but a bar or so less). I can get on to YouTube and the internet with the BB, the iPhone does not. It cannot receive data, emails, BlackBerry can and does.

Same network. What is the reason for this?
    06-14-10 09:11 PM
    My question is simple and I hope someone can answer it simply:

My BlackBerry is on O2 in the UK. My friends iPhone 3gs is on O2 also in the UK. We're in a pub, I get GPRS, he does (but a bar or so less). I can get on to YouTube and the internet with the BB, the iPhone does not. It cannot receive data, emails, BlackBerry can and does.

Same network. What is the reason for this?
    Compression.
    06-14-10 10:04 PM
    Compression.
    Thanks Graham.

So is this correct - BlackBerry is able to compress date like zipped file whilst for example the iPhone is not?

Is this the case? If so, what sort of consumer (to answer the original question) requires a smart phone that is able to fulfil its potential only in specific places? Just doesn't seem practical from an everyday standpoint.

The remainder of the experiment - you may have guessed but the iPhone battery died.

I dunno, but if you're sat at your desk or at home, iPhone on charge or near Apple supply, wifi on tap, I'll bet it's a lot of fun. If that was me in that environment I'm sure I'll make a strong case for it. iTunes would probably **** me off, but meh.

My suspicions are that in 'the field' or 'the cuds' the BB works well, the iPhone is less reliable. This is based on the last few months of my experiences.

I like the iPhone; I may purchase one, why not if there's a bit of spare cash floating about? But I think it's easy to overlook the real world functionality of the BB and how it would suit consumers - voice call quality, battery life (that's a biggy!!) keyboard, straightforward...

Many people I'm sure would just prefer to have a dumb phone that does email and a bit of browsing without too much fecking about. Throw build quality into that also, and the BB seems to be a logical choice because on some level it's a dumb phone with email.

I can't see why people get so bent out of shape about the BB existing and actually meeting the needs of the people that buy it.
    06-14-10 10:24 PM
68 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD