HI all, I'm an older tech challenged guy who just got his first blackberry (8820). Mainly wanted it fot the keyboard and occasional wifi but the blue tooth and gps were interesting too. So last night I fire up the 8820 and start playing with the wifi on my home network. Today I wake up to an email from ATT saying the recognized my smart phone and I needed to sign up for their $$ blackberry data plan and a new texting plan. I'm not a cheap guy but plan to use the wifi feature maybe once a month. Texting maybe 10x month. The $55/month increase to do this in nuts for my situation. Do I need to do a blackberry specific data plan? What triggered them knowing? Any way around it by using a different browser or..?

Any advice very much appreciated. Love the device but will sell it off and go back to my old clunker Nokia 3100 vs being held hostage and doubling my monthly bill for cadillac services.

Thanks in advance,

Dave
    12-19-10 07:12 AM
    Unfortunatly Dave, they have you by the jewels. Att can tell what device you are using by its electronic signature which enery phone has. The only way that I know of to get them off you back is to have a grandfathered plan. Obviously you don't and att has a policy that all new smart phones must have a smartphone plan. The other major carriers also have this requirement.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-19-10 07:33 AM
    Yep. AT&T implemented a policy in September 2009. Any BlackBerry or smartphone activated on their network after than requires a data plan.

They will add the highest plan if you don't add one of the lower ones first.

There's no work around other than using a different device.

They can tell what device it is by the IMEI number.
    12-19-10 08:20 AM
    Thanks, I just tried to get in and get a lower data plan but they locked my account. So apparently, I'm going to have to call and see if I can shave this thing down to something reasonable in person. If they tick me off, I'll move carriers (just out of spite :-) The more I use this thing, the less I want to go back to my old antiquated phone.

BTW, if I wanted to use GPS features, do I need to get them through ATT or are their others I can access cheaper/free?

Thanks again.
    12-19-10 09:15 AM
    you can use google apps for gps or if that phone has bbmaps on it you could use that one but still would need the data package for it to work as wifi is scarce if not nonexistent while driving.
    12-19-10 10:29 AM
    ATT has cheaper BB data plans than that! I pay just $25 extra each month for mine and that's the higher end one. They have a smaller plan for $15/month.

I hope you can get it straigtened out with them because you will come to LOVE your BB and wonder how you ever managed without it!
    12-19-10 10:43 AM
    Thanks, I just tried to get in and get a lower data plan but they locked my account. So apparently, I'm going to have to call and see if I can shave this thing down to something reasonable in person. If they tick me off, I'll move carriers (just out of spite :-) The more I use this thing, the less I want to go back to my old antiquated phone.

BTW, if I wanted to use GPS features, do I need to get them through ATT or are their others I can access cheaper/free?

Thanks again.
    Sounds like you're finding out why they're called CrackBerrys . With a data plan, you'll be able to use the free GPS as stated in the prior post. And yes, they've gotten real picky about Smartphone usage on their networks. Hopefully, you'll come to a satisfactory resolution to your dilemma.

12-19-10 10:45 AM
    It is not necessary to get a text messaging plan if you do not do much texting. The BlackBerry data plan is required, but the text messaging plan is not required. The cost of each text message sent or received without a text messaging plan is $0.20.

12-19-10 11:03 AM
    You can get a data plan for $15/month, and like lak said, you can just opt out of the texting plan, as it is more expensive if you're only gonna send/receive 10 texts a month. But remember, they charge you for incoming texts as well as outgoing texts so it really doesn't take very many a month to be worth it for the texting plans.
    12-19-10 11:30 AM
    It is not necessary to get a text messaging plan if you do not do much texting. The BlackBerry data plan is required, but the text messaging plan is not required. The cost of each text message sent or received without a text messaging plan is $0.20.

I'll give them a call when I calm down. I was already paying $30/mo for unlimited text on teh family plan ( since my son sends 3000+ text/month.) I was figuring that would still cover me on the blackberry. Now it looks like the robbers want another $25 for text/messaging and another $25 for data?
    (Again for two features that will get used 10x month.) I'll post back Once I talk to them.

Thanks again for all the great advice and patience.!
    12-19-10 11:32 AM
    I switched to my first smartphone, the Torch, just this past October. When I got the BB, I kept my same plan as before and just added the BB data plan for $25. But, they also have a $15 one. I'm not a big texter so I just kept the same text plan I had before...$5/month for 200 texts. I did not have to buy anything different or more expensive just for texting when I got the BB.

Sounds like they were trying to sell you the most expensive of all the plans. All you really need is the $15/month data plan in addition to your current plan.

Good luck!
    12-19-10 02:25 PM
    I'll give them a call when I calm down. I was already paying $30/mo for unlimited text on teh family plan ( since my son sends 3000+ text/month.) I was figuring that would still cover me on the blackberry. Now it looks like the robbers want another $25 for text/messaging and another $25 for data?
    (Again for two features that will get used 10x month.) I'll post back Once I talk to them.

Thanks again for all the great advice and patience.!
    The $30 unlimited texting family plan should cover both of your lines. I have that option which covers the texting on my phone and my wife's. I also have the 2GB BB plan on my 9700. If you go with the lowest plan, you should only be paying an extra $15 each month.

12-19-10 03:56 PM
    2gb isn't enough!!!!!!you will use that just streaming music and youtubing.

12-19-10 05:37 PM
    2gb isn't enough!!!!!!you will use that just streaming music and youtubing.

I don't stream music, I restrict that to WiFi. I do, however, watch YouTube videos quite often over 3G. I download games and browse the web constantly. However, I have never even come close to going over the 2GB. Regardless, that's the most AT&T offers, so you're kind of stuck with that.
    12-19-10 06:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD