Hi. I have the Blackberry Curve 8310 with a plan through AT&T. I am going to be traveling overseas and I am wondering if there is any way to shut off the phone feature and receive just the data (emails).

Thanks!

Lisa
    08-25-08 07:38 AM
    Hi. I have the Blackberry Curve 8310 with a plan through AT&T. I am going to be traveling overseas and I am wondering if there is any way to shut off the phone feature and receive just the data (emails).

Thanks!

Lisa
    I am new to ATT, but when I was with VZW they allowed me to suspend the phone service for a while but keep data. Maybe you should contact them and see if they can do the same thing. They'll probably just want to know how long you're going to be out of the country.
    08-25-08 08:26 AM
    For most travel just divert all to voicemail before you leave home service. If you trust your self-control keep the phone active for outgoing, you don't need to use it except in emergencies.
    08-25-08 08:49 AM
    This would be your best option as it is advisable to be able to use your phone in case of an emergency!
    08-25-08 09:12 AM
    Call AT&T customer care and explain your situation. I'm sure they can help you out.
    08-25-08 01:51 PM
    For most travel just divert all to voicemail before you leave home service. If you trust your self-control keep the phone active for outgoing, you don't need to use it except in emergencies.

how do you divert all voicemail?

also, how can i make it so i can't receive (or send) emails on my blackberry while i am overseas?

essentially, i just want to have the phone for emergencies and texts, if possible, and still use the date and phone list functions if need be.
    06-11-10 10:20 AM
    Manage Connections: Mobile Network Options: Date Services: select "Off" or "Off While Roaming"

If you are still at home the other method is to connect to your BIS website and remove the email addresses you don't want to forward. Just delete the entries.

If you are happy to keep the ability to send email even if you don't plan to use it except in emergencies, set a filter so only mail with a keyword in the subject line gets forwarded. That gets you the best of both worlds because roaming email is usually much cheaper than voice connections. (I recently got stiffed with a flight delay at Rome and had to rearrange pickup from the airport - one call to find an email address cost more than the resulting 12 emails to make new arrangements as the flights got rescheduled again and again.)
    06-11-10 02:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD