Alright, so it all started with me uploading a new OS to my Blackberry Bold 9000. The installation failed mid through, however the blackberry was not nuked.

Later on the month, my trackball did not work, many letters on the keyboard did not work. When I would type, sometimes it would type for me "hlhlhlhlhlhlhl", even me moving the trackball would type that. Furthermore the Call and End buttons did not work.

I ended up not using my phone, and when I came back to it, the trackball was working, the Call and End buttons were working, and even the 'A' key which was the one that NEVER worked. It is weird, because it seems like my blackberry is fixing itself.

However, now the Call and End buttons do not work, and the 'A' button. The trackball works rarely, and its doubtful that it lasts long.

I nuked my blackberry, wiped out the old OS, installed a new OS (v.5.0 - leaked) and STILL the same problems. So I am guessing now it is not a software problem, but a hardware one.

Are there any tips, tricks? Has anyone experienced the same problems? I think I might open the phone up and clean it. I really do not want to pay 350 just to fix it.

Thanks for your time.
    Cheers
    05-17-10 04:31 PM
    if you've uninstalled/reinstalled and OS and you're still having issues, then I would say its likely a hardware issue. If its under warranty, then i would take it back. You have a year. If not, then insurance might do the trick. If none of the above apply, then you could try taking it apart to see if its dirty and/or replace the trackball.

Did you get it wet?
    05-17-10 04:43 PM
    The phone was playing music while I was in the shower, but the phone stopped working as soon as I touched it, and my hands were hardly wet... Is there a strip that changes colors inside the phone that indicates that water might be a problem?
    05-17-10 04:48 PM
    There is but it should be visible inside the battery door. I doubt that's the issue unless you really managed to pour water in there. Typically water would short it out period - thus once shorted out, never allowing the phone to correctly operate ever again. Sounds to me like you're having a hardware issue with the logic board. Before you open it up, contact Rogers tech support, explain to them the problem and ask to be patched through to RIM. If they are a decent wireless company, they will have paid for RIM technical support which in turn is extended to their Roger's customers. (TMobile in the US, for example, does this.) RIM is usually very good about replacing handsets for their consumers. But I would contact Rogers before I opened up the phone itself if I were you. That should be reserved as an absolutely last resort. Don't want to see you void whatever warranty that may exist on RIM's end. Hope this helps.
    05-17-10 05:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD