Hello all,

So I was playing around with some of the settings on my phone and I came across the section regarding device and media card encryption.

Now I don't have really much in the way of sensitive information and I don't use a password on my phone. I was thinking maybe I should look at changing this.

Does this feature of encryption also include things like messages, BBM, emails etc? Or is this mostly for files, pictures etc?

Just trying to get a better understanding of the security features of this phone from a consumer perspective.

Thx

Posted via CB10
    03-10-16 03:35 AM
    Hello all,

So I was playing around with some of the settings on my phone and I came across the section regarding device and media card encryption.

Now I don't have really much in the way of sensitive information and I don't use a password on my phone. I was thinking maybe I should look at changing this.

Does this feature of encryption also include things like messages, BBM, emails etc? Or is this mostly for files, pictures etc?

Just trying to get a better understanding of the security features of this phone from a consumer perspective.

Thx

Posted via CB10
    Should answer your questions:
    Dear Berry: How do I encrypt files on BlackBerry 10? | CrackBerry.com
    03-10-16 05:30 AM
    Encryption in this instance is full disk encryption, which protects your files and handset content. Email and communications are a separate concern, since those are reliant on the security protocols used by the provider. If nothing else, encryption protects the messages, links, and any accounts on your device. It may not seem like a lot, but it's a treasure trove of personal information.

Posted via CB10
    03-10-16 06:20 AM
    The purpose of encrypting the flash storage on your phone is to prevent someone who gets physical access to your phone from pulling data off of it. For example, many countries will attempt to scan your devices if you bring them across their border, by using a device specially made for this purpose. Or, someone could steal your phone, or find it somewhere after you dropped it or left it someplace accidentally, and could try to hook it up to a computer to get to your data. Encrypting the device prevents them from accessing that data.

Note that if you or someone else enters the wrong password 10 times, your phone is going to wipe itself, and all data stored on it will be lost (this is to protect people from brute-force hacking your phone), so you'll need to make sure you back up your data to another device on a regular basis. Also, note that if you encrypt your SD card, you'll need to decrypt it before you move it to a different device, AND you need to decrypt it before you wipe your device or reload the OS on your phone, because its encryption is directly tied to your phone and the instance of the OS installed on it.

As others have mentioned, this will do nothing to further protect the NETWORK security of the phone (i.e., data moving in and out of the phone over WiFi or cellular networks). Network security is handled by different mechanisms. Device encryption (or, more accurately, flash storage encryption) is about protecting your data "at rest" on the phone.
    03-10-16 10:22 AM
    Thanks everyone for your help on this!

Posted via CB10
    03-10-16 11:44 AM
    Quick question? When you encrypt your handset and you need to pull files from your sd card to your personal pc. Would you have to unencrypt the phone everytime this process has to be done or can you set up a setting to recognize your pc as a safehouse?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    03-10-16 12:14 PM
    Quick question? When you encrypt your handset and you need to pull files from your sd card to your personal pc. Would you have to unencrypt the phone everytime this process has to be done or can you set up a setting to recognize your pc as a safehouse?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    You wouldn't need to decrypt the handset or SD card. The encryption is at the disk, not the file level. If Link has been installed or you're able to see the handset and SD card as network drives then there's no need to worry.
    03-10-16 01:20 PM