Hi All,

After looking at of the concept blackberries and after reviewing the Porsche design BB, I have come up with an idea for a new blackberry. My concept would include:

1. Chassis: Like the porsche design, the keyboard and chassis of the blackberry would be made of milled of forged metal. This would make the blackberry more durable and hense my second point.

2. Internals: This area of the phoe would be swappable anytime a new set of hardware is released by RIM. Simply disconnect the metal, highly durable and re-usable chassis and keyboard and snap it into the new hardware.

2.a: The new hardware would have to be the same size time and time again but I would be ok with that. I would be fine with a blackberry that is the same size as the bold 9900 or just about 10% bigger. Every hardware peice they sell after would have to be the same size as the one before but it would probably have shrunken components and more room for a bigger battery which is great.

So what do you think: A chassis that you keep ($$$) made out of durable metal and hardware half of the phone that is "universal" size for the chassis.

I was inspired by two colours: Green and Johnny Walker Double Black
    01-30-12 02:13 PM
    While I like the idea of swapping out parts and keeping the shell, I see 2 concerns.

First is, people would be constantly inside their phones, unless it's inside, say, an adapter unit. pull adapter out, remove SIM card, reinsert adapter sort of thinking. Reasoning is some of us have shaky hands, tired eyes, or no patience (really, after we root playbooks and install hybrids, ok, but still)...

Second thought is weight, after you add durable metal (husband sells metal for a living, I used to purchase it). Any of the really durable, forged metals will add weight. Coupled with making it the size of the 9900, which is already larger than my 9810, then adding the extra 10% in size, and I'm thinking I wouldn't go for it (weight-wise).

JMO
    01-30-12 02:21 PM
    Good Points.

Although I have never worried that I wont be able to pick up my phone becasue of its weight.

And yes, the Hardware portion of the phone would have to plug and play. exposed chips and capacitors would be out of the question.

I just couldnt imaging buying that porsche phone with its metal chassis and not using it or throwing it away. I would want to keep that sweet chassis and keyboard and just get new internals.
    01-30-12 02:29 PM
    A modular device? Actually, the idea has its merits. Imagine being able to swap keyboards or plug into a different housing with a couple of clicks. You could make multiple options feasible, even with a production line. Go thin or thick, plain or pizazz. Go curved or straight key.

Snap into a landscape, a portrait, a flip, or a slider.

Standardize the hardware and make it interchangeable.

Hmmm mmm.
    Last edited by BergerKing; 01-30-12 at 03:01 PM.
    01-30-12 02:56 PM
    yea, exactly.

For instance, RIM could offer a modular hardware piece that was focused on battery life. huge battery, less power/big chips ect.

Or the opposite: small battery, bigger chips/faster ect for a powerhouse phone. (extra battery needed of course).

I just dont think The form factor of the bold can get much better. I like it alomost exactly the way it is so I would be willing to invest ( 300$+) in a high quality chassis\keyboard if I could be promissed a modular hardware upgrade every year for that chassis.
    01-30-12 03:07 PM
    AND! it would lock people into RIM hardware since they have invested in the chassis piece. Customer Retention anyone?
    01-30-12 03:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD