Hello.

I am BlackBerry collector (or at least collector-wannabe) and today i've found, that a part of my collection is starting to have issue with "gummy" plastic surface on some older devices. It is starting to get oily and bit sticky.
    I know this is problem related to almost all late 90/early 00 devices, (like walkmans, MD players etc) which had plastic coated with gum-like surface. However i would like to prevent further degradation of devices in my possession, do You have any ideas how to help with this?

Issue is mainly applies to used BB, for now side panels of 83xx series seems to be worst, but gum on few 93xx is also starting to be shiny. I've discovered it today when i was looking trough devices stored in drawer (i keep most of them in oem BB leather pockets). New (i mean unused) devices, that are displayed on shelf have no issues with gum on panels.
    For now only thing that i'm doing with them is just degreasing them with light alcohol and microfiber cloth.

Also, if you are wondering, i have around 100 devices in my collecion, i am focusing mainly on unusual colors and evaluation units, but i have few of new-old-stock devices. If you are interested i may post few photos here.

I hope, that this subforum is suitable for that kind of topic.
    Last edited by ojciec; 01-13-19 at 06:23 AM.
    01-12-19 07:46 AM
    There's really nothing you can do aside from removing the coating entirely, which tends to leave a blotchy, streaky surface. As you stated, it's a very common problem for many devices of the era. I had a Motorola flip phone with that coating and it too became gummy and sticky.

I would also recommend storing them in a heavy duty zip lock bag, individually, so that they don't get sticky residue on anything else.

Nail polish remover and a rag will help get the coating off, but tape up any transparent plastic and avoid getting the chemical too close to it. Note that you will lose any button labels that may be on the coating.
    01-12-19 04:38 PM
    Shame. I've hoped, that there was some kind of trick to at least slow down degradation.

However i will not remove this coating, i want to keep this devices as original as possible. Also removing gum from 85/93 series would not be a good idea.
    01-12-19 05:11 PM
    Hi there, you could try to use foil. As I am not an english native speaker, I do not know what it's called, but I can try to paraphrase it.

It is a kind of foil you can put over edible things to prevent them from going bad, such as fruits. It is see-through, and it is elastic. It can be purchased in the supermarket. The foil adheres with itself, so you can create an air-tight seal. This should be best for preventing dust and other dirt to stick on the gummy plastic.

In Germany, we call it "transparente Frischhaltefolie" , which would translate to "transparent fresh-keeping-foil" .

I hope this will help you.
    01-12-19 07:20 PM
    Hi there, you could try to use foil. As I am not an english native speaker, I do not know what it's called, but I can try to paraphrase it.

It is a kind of foil you can put over edible things to prevent them from going bad, such as fruits. It is see-through, and it is elastic. It can be purchased in the supermarket. The foil adheres with itself, so you can create an air-tight seal. This should be best for preventing dust and other dirt to stick on the gummy plastic.

In Germany, we call it "transparente Frischhaltefolie" , which would translate to "transparent fresh-keeping-foil" .

I hope this will help you.
    Translated as Saran™ wrap?
    01-12-19 07:32 PM
    In the UK it's known as "cling film" .
    01-13-19 05:47 AM
    Yes i know what kind of foil You mean, but i'd rather stop/slow down degrading of coating (if there is anything i can do) than just wrapping them and hope for the best.
    My biggest concerns are regading devices like Playbook and Dev Alpha A since whole back of devices are coated with rubber.

For example, today as i was going trough some boxes with devices waiting for restoration (if i ever will be able to find new OEM housings for them...) and i found:

BlackBerry collecting - how to store?-img_20190113_1035419.jpg

As You can see, 8300 at the top is worst and by look of it it was used a lot in past.
    I the same drawer, also in box, i am keeping new BB 9500 rubber back/sides parts (don't know how to name them) and they have no issues at all. Seems like new devices which made no contact with oils and other contaminations from hands and everyday use are not affected (yet).

Another example: 8520 (Liquid Blue) vs 9300 (Ruby Red).

BlackBerry collecting - how to store?-img_20190113_1213232.jpg

Both devices are used, but i've replaced frame on 9300 to new one before adding it to my collection. Also, both devices are stored in their original boxes, 8520 in foil, 9300 only in plastic tray from box. Oily residue is clearly visible on left, after wiping it with alcohol it's now gone, but still i am starting to be afraid that it may start to degrade as much as 8300 from picture above.
    Last edited by ojciec; 01-13-19 at 10:53 AM.
    elfabio80 likes this.
    01-13-19 06:21 AM
    Would Goo Gone work?
    01-13-19 01:19 PM

Nail polish remover and a rag will help get the coating off, but tape up any transparent plastic and avoid getting the chemical too close to it. Note that you will lose any button labels that may be on the coating.
    Highly advise against nail polish remover. It is acetone and melts plastics that are not oil resistant. (No offense Troy, I still think you're the smartest person here)

The problem you have is caused by oxidation. Unser freund, @dakusama has the right idea to wrap them in plastic. Take it a step further: vacuum bag. Consumer grade machines are available at most department stores.
    01-13-19 02:05 PM
    Vaccum bags are good idea, however it would be still nice to have access to the devices. From time to time i'm starting them, checking if batteries are still good and not bulging, charging them if neccessary (to about 50-60% if you are wondering).

I guess i'll just wrap them in ziplock bags. Thanks a lot!
    01-13-19 03:38 PM
    avoid the acetone. it melted my backpanel on my classic... and how humid is it where you live? my playbook and an old pearl are sitting in a drawer and they still feel like they did when I got them. also could be degradation of skin oils that are left behind on devices. spray some Windex on a microfiber cloth and rub them to see if they clean
    Tim-ANC likes this.
    01-13-19 07:20 PM
    Easy, i will never even get close to plastics with acetone - i've learned my lesson in past.

About Windex: it's not avaliable in my country, but (for now) i am removing all those nasty oliy thing with other window-cleaner product.
    01-14-19 12:46 PM
    Hello.

I am BlackBerry collector (or at least collector-wannabe) and today i've found, that a part of my collection is starting to have issue with "gummy" plastic surface on some older devices. It is starting to get oily and bit sticky.
    I know this is problem related to almost all late 90/early 00 devices, (like walkmans, MD players etc) which had plastic coated with gum-like surface. However i would like to prevent further degradation of devices in my possession, do You have any ideas how to help with this?

Issue is mainly applies to used BB, for now side panels of 83xx series seems to be worst, but gum on few 93xx is also starting to be shiny. I've discovered it today when i was looking trough devices stored in drawer (i keep most of them in oem BB leather pockets). New (i mean unused) devices, that are displayed on shelf have no issues with gum on panels.
    For now only thing that i'm doing with them is just degreasing them with light alcohol and microfiber cloth.

Also, if you are wondering, i have around 100 devices in my collecion, i am focusing mainly on unusual colors and evaluation units, but i have few of new-old-stock devices. If you are interested i may post few photos here.

I hope, that this subforum is suitable for that kind of topic.
    There is a collectors thread....

It would be cool to see some of what you feel are your "best pieces".
    01-14-19 04:05 PM