All of the Targets in the US that contract out their mobile sales to Radio Shack (virtually every single Target I believe) are selling the Virgin Mobile Blackberry 8530 for 50.00. The store I was at had two left. Its a pretty good price for a spare Blackberry. Too bad its CDMA though.
    08-13-11 04:31 PM
    The Virgin Mobile Blackberries in the Target stores in my area are completely sold out! People caught on quickly :-)

Btw, what's wrong with CDMA?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-13-11 06:49 PM
  3. T
    Nothing's wrong with CDMA. He probably means it's too bad he can't put his SIM card in one of those devices.

08-13-11 06:53 PM
    For me, there is one key weakness with CDMA phones like Virgin Mobile's Blackberry: they cannot be used in other countries. However, it's not much of a problem. I would just acquire an unlocked, quad band Blackberry and use the cellular services where I am going. The international rates with the big three in the US are quite atrocious. It's not surprising why some folks easily reach the four to five digit range on their bills.

08-13-11 09:05 PM
    Are they on contract or off contract?
    08-13-11 09:54 PM
    Lol that's disturbing.

08-14-11 02:11 AM
    Virgin Mobile is pre-paid so there is no contract. The CDMA comment was a reference to the fact that I use GSM. I personally prefer GSM anyways, although in the middle of nowhere, CDMA seems to get a slightly stronger voice signal. With newer Blackberrys, I guess it doesn't really matter because they are all quad-band anyways. I wonder if the Style Boost is getting will keep the quad band?
    08-14-11 10:26 AM
    Virgin Mobile is pre-paid so there is no contract. The CDMA comment was a reference to the fact that I use GSM. I personally prefer GSM anyways, although in the middle of nowhere, CDMA seems to get a slightly stronger voice signal. With newer Blackberrys, I guess it doesn't really matter because they are all quad-band anyways. I wonder if the Style Boost is getting will keep the quad band?
    Just FYI in other countries virgin mobile is also a contracting carrier I believe Canada is a major virgin mobile country and they are pre-paid and contracting up there.
    08-14-11 10:28 AM
    I didn't think of it, but I wonder if the Radio Shack stores themselves are running the same special? They took the Virgin Mobile Blackberry 8530 off radioshack.com so if maybe they are getting rid of the stock they have left in the stores.
    08-14-11 10:34 AM
    The Style is CDMA-only.
    08-14-11 10:57 AM
    Just FYI in other countries virgin mobile is also a contracting carrier I believe Canada is a major virgin mobile country and they are pre-paid and contracting up there.
    You're right! I've been with VMC for years starting out first as a pay as you go, then prepaid and finally when I bought my first BB I went to contract.
    08-14-11 12:39 PM
    There is one prepaid/no-contract carrier I know of that will allow you to bring in your own GSM phone: OMG! Simple Mobile They are using ATT's network, but do not support BIS/BES service.

If you are using or want to stay with CDMA, Virgin Mobile (or Boost) is the way to go. Also, if you are interested in purchasing Virgin's 8530, please check out my detailed review covering 5 months of use: http://forums.crackberry.com/smartph...review-637843/
    08-14-11 10:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD