Hi everyone.
    Haven't been here for many a moon..
    I like the new look..
    Anyway:
    I have a Classic that I've basically never used, because I liked my Q10 so much.
    But recently I damaged the Q10 and while it still functions fine, I decided to switch to my Classic that's been sitting on top of my computer underneath my desk (plugged in) for 3 years..
    When I pulled the Classic out, I found that the screen had popped out and I couldn't get it to lay flat inside of the phone again without pressing really hard and then the touch screen didn't work (I thought because of the pressure exerted on it by my hand holding it down).
    It was also displaying a "SIM Not Detected" message.
    Two days ago, I managed to push the screen in and super glue it in place, but there is definitely a slight warp on it, which is when I realize that the phone had swollen up in the center.
    I'm assuming that this might be due to the internal battery expanding (?), since I've had two batteries for my Q10 that had swollen up (several years apart) and needed to be replaced.

After super gluing the screen back in place, the touch screen functionality was initially erratic.. the hub opening and closing on it's own, apps opening and then shrinking into the background... sort of like a mad cartoon..
    BB was closed for the weekend, so I set the phone aside and waited for today to call them on the off chance that perhaps I could pay to get if fixed since I bought the phone directly from them.
    Today, though it's acting normal.. sort of.. except that the "SIM Not Detected" message is still there.
    I contacted BB but the hope turned out to be a pipe dream..
    So here I am... I checked the threads here and I couldn't find any other similar complaints (except for the the "SIM Not Detected" message).
    So I'm just checking if anyone has had this problem, if it's fixable (either DIY or send it off to someone's shop), etc.
    Thanks.
    01-14-19 04:59 PM
    Well, SIM not detected is a known issue with BlackBerry 10 phones but your situation is shall we say.... unique. For the most part, there's no real fix for it especially given your situation, who knows what other issues that device may have internally.
    01-15-19 01:44 PM
    So I'm just checking if anyone has had this problem, if it's fixable (either DIY or send it off to someone's shop), etc.
    Thanks.
    It probable is not worth invest in fixing it... if you really want to use a Classic, buy a used one online.

Battery expanding and then your press on the screen... might have damaged more than a normal repair shop can handle, without getting into more than the phone is worth at this point.

But at this point, I'd put that money towards something else.
    01-15-19 02:48 PM
    Thank you for your reply.
    I think that I'm going to have to follow your advice..
    01-15-19 03:15 PM
    Do you absolutely have to have a Classic or are you open to other devices from BB ?
    01-15-19 11:21 PM
    I'm having second thoughts about owning a Classic.. Esp. because I'm sure it's the battery inside of the phone that I own, that is expanding.. (What else could it be?).
    And since I've had two batteries for my Q10 expand to the point where the cover wouldn't fit, I have nothing to assure me that another Classic won't do the same thing as the one I own.
    As far as another BB.. that only leaves an Android OS platform.
    And while I'm really used to the OS10, before that I was happily using a Bold 9900.
    I think that a Key1, 2 or 3 would be leaps ahead of the OS7 phones...but....
    Recently I found that I had been "pawned" and that a company called "Apollo" was hacked and that they had possession of my data, like passwords etc.
    Until last week, I had never heard of that company before, which begets the question: "how did they acquire my information?".

So I'm not open to owning a phone where every keystroke I make is recorded and collected and used or sold as data on me.
    01-25-19 08:18 PM
    I don't have to have a Classic.
    Recently I found that I had been "pawned" and that a company called "Apollo" was hacked and that they had possession of my data, like passwords etc.
    Until last week, I had never heard of that company before, which begets the question: "how did they acquire my information?".

So I'm not open to owning a phone where every keystroke I make is recorded and collected and used or sold as data on me.
    Then stay away from Android....

Posted via CB10
    01-25-19 08:20 PM
    Then stay away from Android....
    Assuming that information about the hack was legitimate, you can't assume that the information came from his phone at all (it could have easily come from a website used from a computer), but if it did, then it came from his BB10 phone. Why stay away from Android if BB10 (or BBOS, as he used prior) was in use when the hack occurred?

It just goes back to my point: BB10 or any OS won't protect you from yourself, and that individual phones are rarely targets, as most hackers go after SERVERS, where there are millions of accounts to go after.
    cribble2k likes this.
    01-26-19 01:54 PM
    The OP guy wrote.... So I'm not open to owning a phone where every keystroke I make is recorded and collected and used or sold as data on me"..... This is basically what is happening with Google and Android. I was giving an advice. I think you missed my point.

Sure you can get
    01-26-19 02:19 PM
    I understood what you were writing about and where you were going with your question.
    01-26-19 02:37 PM
    I decided to try to replace the battery on my Classic..
    And my assumption was correct, the battery had swollen up big time..
    Here is a video of the battery after I got the case opened
    Attached Thumbnails BlackBerry Classic Screen Popped Out-classic-battery-profile.jpg  
    cribble2k likes this.
    01-26-19 03:13 PM
    If you want an up to date smartphone with battery life that's actually acceptable, then stay away from the Classic (or Q10) and go for a KEY2 (if in your budget), or an LE (my favorite), or even a KEYone (even silver, but black is better)
    01-27-19 12:33 AM
    The "hack" is likely one of those phishing e-mails. To be sure it isn't, check the headers. That means login to your webmail provider (hotmail/live/outlook, AOL, yahoo, Gmail, etc) and check the headers of that message. All too commonly, it's actually a phishing attempt with a link to ask for money (or an extortion e-mail with a link to a bitcoin or other address).

I strongly urge you to get the keyone, key2 or LE. Once my classic swells and bellows, i'm retiring it to bestbuy's electronics recycling program. Same for the passport.

Typed on my BlackBerry passport, via freedom mobile DC-HSPA+/LTE
    01-27-19 04:22 AM
    The "hack" is likely one of those phishing e-mails. To be sure it isn't, check the headers. That means login to your webmail provider (hotmail/live/outlook, AOL, yahoo, Gmail, etc) and check the headers of that message. All too commonly, it's actually a phishing attempt with a link to ask for money (or an extortion e-mail with a link to a bitcoin or other address).

I strongly urge you to get the keyone, key2 or LE. Once my classic swells and bellows, i'm retiring it to bestbuy's electronics recycling program. Same for the passport.
    I wasn't hacked by a phishing email.
    I think that everyone is aware that emails asking you to update your info are the most common phishing method.
    I always check the headers.
    My data had to have been sold by some other website that I log into.
    With regard to the battery, there are videos online that show how to open the Classic and change the battery.
    Bla1ze posted a "how to" video on this back in 2015.
    It looks very easy.. Opening the case was the tricky part and as you can see, I accomplished that without damaging the phone.
    I ordered the battery ($15.00 cost) and I'm going to change it.
    I'd rather keep using my Q10, but I cracked the screen...
    If it wasn't for the data collection while using the handset, I would buy a Key1, 2 or the 3 (when it comes out).
    So those are no longer a consideration.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Blackbe...acement/103896
    01-27-19 11:16 AM
    I wasn't hacked by a phishing email.
    I think that everyone is aware that emails asking you to update your info are the most common phishing method.
    I always check the headers.
    My data had to have been sold by some other website that I log into.
    With regard to the battery, there are videos online that show how to open the Classic and change the battery.
    Bla1ze posted a "how to" video on this back in 2015.
    It looks very easy.. Opening the case was the tricky part and as you can see, I accomplished that without damaging the phone.
    I ordered the battery ($15.00 cost) and I'm going to change it.
    I'd rather keep using my Q10, but I cracked the screen...
    If it wasn't for the data collection while using the handset, I would buy a Key1, 2 or the 3 (when it comes out).
    So those are no longer a consideration.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Blackbe...acement/103896
    For the record, even e-mail providers do data collection. It's not just google. Social media included. Windows even collects data. As long as you aren't breaking the law (in any country or province/state), you shouldn't have to be concerned when using any android device.
    01-27-19 01:02 PM
    So.. the video that Bla1ze posted several years ago, showing the disassembly of the Classic is very helpful.
    I purchased a new battery for the Classic on eBay.
    Cost: $15.00.
    Taking the back cover off of the phone is a bit tricky and took me about 5 minutes to remove it.
    If you're just replacing the battery, you don't have to take out the plastic frame as shown in the video.
    (I did it and found out that I didn't need to).
    But you will need a T3 x 40 (star) screw driver and # 00 jeweler's Phillips screw driver or a #32 slotted to remove the two screws that hold the battery contact ribbon connector clamp in place.
    I had to purchase the T3 screwdriver and the jeweler's Phillips I had.
    Cost of the star driver: $6.15
    You'll also need a razor knife (I used my the knife on my Leatherman) and alcohol and a cotton swab (as you pry the battery up) in order to remove the double backed tape that holds the battery down.
    The whole job took me about 20-25 minutes because I removed that plastic frame, which was more difficult to do than the video shows.
    Photo 1 shows the back of the Classic disassembled and with the old battery removed..
    The outer cover of the side of the battery that was taped to the motherboard tore off of the battery and I had peel that off using the alcohol.
    Photo 2 shows the new battery installed and connected to the motherboard.
    3 and 4 show the cover installed and the phone turned on and working off of the new battery.
    Total cost: $21.15 USD.

BlackBerry Classic Screen Popped Out-classic-battery-removed.jpg
    BlackBerry Classic Screen Popped Out-classic-battery-installed.jpg
    BlackBerry Classic Screen Popped Out-classic-w-back-installed.jpg
    BlackBerry Classic Screen Popped Out-classic-working-w-new-battery.jpg
    01-30-19 09:25 PM
    If you want an up to date smartphone with battery life that's actually acceptable, then stay away from the Classic (or Q10) and go for a KEY2 (if in your budget), or an LE (my favorite), or even a KEYone (even silver, but black is better)
    I went to Best Buy and spent some time with the Key2 LE.
    It's a nice phone..
    Has a really good camera on it and it's gesture navigation is vaguely reminiscent of BB OS10's .
    I'd buy it now if it wasn't for the data collection.
    At some point the OS 10 phones are going cease to work and maybe then I won't care if my data is being collected by google with every key stroke.
    I don't use a lot of apps..
    I've been carrying a second phone (since 2014) for banking and running credit cards out in the field, but my Q10 is my main phone.. and now my Classic is going to replace it.
    01-30-19 09:45 PM
    I went to Best Buy and spent some time with the Key2 LE.
    It's a nice phone..
    Has a really good camera on it and it's gesture navigation is vaguely reminiscent of BB OS10's .
    I'd buy it now if it wasn't for the data collection.
    At some point the OS 10 phones are going cease to work and maybe then I won't care if my data is being collected by google with every key stroke.
    I don't use a lot of apps..
    I've been carrying a second phone (since 2014) for banking and running credit cards out in the field, but my Q10 is my main phone.. and now my Classic is going to replace it.
    Just get an extended battery for the Q10. The classic is essentially the exact same thing, just with the toolbelt.
    01-30-19 10:21 PM
    Assuming that information about the hack was legitimate, you can't assume that the information came from his phone at all (it could have easily come from a website used from a computer), but if it did, then it came from his BB10 phone. Why stay away from Android if BB10 (or BBOS, as he used prior) was in use when the hack occurred?

It just goes back to my point: BB10 or any OS won't protect you from yourself, and that individual phones are rarely targets, as most hackers go after SERVERS, where there are millions of accounts to go after.
    I don't think it was via my phone at all.
    I'm 100% sure it wasn't and that it took place on some website, like FB , LinkedIn or some website where I had to register a purchase.. who knows..
    But one has to question as to how much of their everyday online usage they want viewed and stored on (and possibly scraped from) a corporation's data bank.
    A VPN on a computer doesn't protect the user from Google or any of their subsidiaries when they use Chrome.
    And now we have thermostats, doorbells, cars and cameras tracking movements and recording conversations and storing that information on a server somewhere... and it goes on and on..
    You and everyone here are aware that saturation data collection is growing
    For myself, it's a question of limiting that intrusion into my life.
    A phone that records every keystroke including the possibility of phone numbers and sends that information to a corporate (in this case it's Google) data bank and stores it, is a bit overboard for me.
    #Resist
    Last edited by Velocitymj; 01-30-19 at 10:36 PM.
    01-30-19 10:25 PM
    Just get an extended battery for the Q10. The classic is essentially the exact same thing, just with the toolbelt.
    Well, I just now replaced the battery on the Classic.
    I didn't know that an extended battery was made for it, since the battery is internal.
    I've never used my Classic and I don't have a clue as to how good the battery life is on it.
    But I have a car charger that I take with me.
    01-30-19 10:34 PM
    Well, I just now replaced the battery on the Classic.
    I didn't know that an extended battery was made for it, since the battery is internal.
    I've never used my Classic and I don't have a clue as to how good the battery life is on it.
    But I have a car charger that I take with me.
    Q10, not classic.

Typed on my blackberry classic with 10.3.3-latest on freedom mobile HSPA+
    01-30-19 10:39 PM
    Q10, not classic.

Sorry, I didn't read that correctly the first time.
    I cracked the display on my Q10 which is why I repaired the Classic.
    I really love my Q10 though... and I recently purchased two batteries for it, because it's battery swelled up as well.
    01-30-19 11:37 PM
    Sorry, I didn't read that correctly the first time.
    I cracked the display on my Q10 which is why I repaired the Classic.
    I really love my Q10 though... and I recently purchased two batteries for it, because it's battery swelled up as well.
    Replacing the Q10's screen shouldn't cost much. Worth it. I would've done it had it happened. As a suggestion, a tempered glass screen protector would save the screen from damage.

Velocitymj likes this.
    01-31-19 12:13 AM