I am going to move to chins for 5 months. Hang zhou to be exact. Does Is there anyway to get my all my blackbery service (bbm, push mail) working without roaming...
    If i use my t mobile sim and manage to find wifi there will it work without charging me roaming rates? Thank you

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-25-10 08:53 PM
    That is one of bonus features of Unlicensed Mobile Access (UMA).

When you have a Wifi connection, you have full access to your T-Mobile plan for phone and BIS service, anywhere in the World.

However, if you make a local call outside of the Wifi hotspot, you will pay both roaming and International charges. Check with your carrier, they offer International plans.

Alternatly, you can use a local carriers prepaid SIM card for local call and access to your T-Mobile (USA) data plan.... the best of both Worlds.
    08-25-10 10:46 PM
    I would advise getting a local sim card and a decent data plan if possible else use wi-fi connection.
    08-25-10 10:49 PM
    When I used BB in China, I just used the data roaming. I carried around another phone with a local SIM for phone calls. I think T-Mobile charges like $20 a month extra for international data, so it's not a big deal. Answering or making phone calls with the T-Mobile SIM gets really expensive though.
    08-26-10 12:44 AM
    Sorry so if i use china mobile data plan, I will be bake to use my T mobile service?
    Or do I have to use wifi still?
    It's so annoying how they don't serve BIS....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-26-10 12:30 PM
    That is one of bonus features of Unlicensed Mobile Access (UMA).

When you have a Wifi connection, you have full access to your T-Mobile plan for phone and BIS service, anywhere in the World.

However, if you make a local call outside of the Wifi hotspot, you will pay both roaming and International charges. Check with your carrier, they offer International plans.

Alternatly, you can use a local carriers prepaid SIM card for local call and access to your T-Mobile (USA) data plan.... the best of both Worlds.
    UMA never worked for me in China. Apparently Rogers (not sure about US carriers) blocks access from Chinese allocated IP addresses. The best I could get in China was very minimal access to internet services and that's it. No BIS or anything.

Of course if you use your regular SIM card and the city you are in is partnered with your telecom things are different, but the roaming charges are astronomical.
    08-26-10 02:29 PM
    UMA never worked for me in China. Apparently Rogers (not sure about US carriers) blocks access from Chinese allocated IP addresses. The best I could get in China was very minimal access to internet services and that's it. No BIS or anything.

Of course if you use your regular SIM card and the city you are in is partnered with your telecom things are different, but the roaming charges are astronomical.
    I hear you, Bro. Right from the start, Rogers FAQ stated that it will not work from out side of Canada. They screen IP address. Most likley related to the International revenue stream from our big Southern neighbour.

T-Mobile (USA) does not have that restriction. China may also impose some IP restrictions. Everything must contend with The Great Firewall.
    08-26-10 04:00 PM
    Use your t-mobile SIM card for data and get the roaming package. That way you won't be behind 'The Great Firewall of China.'

I was in China last year and use my at&t SIM to roam, it was great and super fast. Plus nothing was censored. I even used the SIM with a mobile broadband card for the fastest browsing available in china with a free and open internet.
    08-26-10 04:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD