Sorry i'm new to the forum.. & if this has been posted before i'm sorry for that too..
    (I have seen other threads on a similar topic but looking for something solid)

I am looking at buying a Pearl 3g on O2, having spoke to sales & seen all the tarriffs online.. I have to pay �5 extra for data usage.

1. Is this for the O2 data plan or for the Blackberry data messenger thing?

Now my mate has just bought a sim free Blackberry, as she is already on a contract.. Orange are now making her pay an extra �5 a month... for the Blackberry service.

2. If her contract already has a data plan, & using the blackberry messenger uses data plan megs then why is she paying an extra �5 & what does it do?

Now the question I wanted to ask....

3. If I buy a simfree Blackberry & I want to insert my O2 PAYG sim card.. are they going to be robbing me of �5 a month to cover the costs of this Blackberry messenger thing?
    Last edited by cowboybert; 09-07-10 at 08:05 AM.
    09-07-10 08:02 AM
    My current tariff is O2 Text and Web

Which gives me 500m free every month!
    Last edited by cowboybert; 09-07-10 at 08:11 AM.
    09-07-10 08:06 AM
    I do not believe that the charge is for the blackberry messenger app. It is probably something for email usage I would think, but I am not sure of O2 plans
    09-07-10 08:11 AM
    All internet/email/bbm/(and other data) goes through RIM's servers when you're using a BB, but you do get push email and bbm as an added benefit. That is likely why they might be charging you more for a BB plan. You might want to call the provider and ask.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-07-10 08:25 AM
    Well that sucks, but that does tie in with what i've just been informed by O2.

They state that I have to top up �15 a month to have continual access to the net.
    The guy on the phone was getting quite irate as I wasn't aware that you had to pay for the privilege of accessing the net.

I can access email, messenger & the net off my current phone & not have to pay extra.

I am now struggling to see the benefits of getting a Blackberry...

Thanks for the reply though... Tis appreciated
    09-07-10 08:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD