Lol. Sheesh you guys are impatient. Can't mention what hasn't happened yet.

If you're expecting anything outside of an IoT roadmap (more QNX) and a BBM roadmap, you're setting your hopes high.
    Well, we got the HBox.
    01-07-15 11:38 AM
    Q: Have the "Passport and Classic" lived up to your expectations?
    A (John Chen): The Passport and Classic, when it gets to the hands of the individuals, meet expectations. Right on track. What we need to work on is distribution channel. AT&T is big step forward.

So he likes the devices but they didn't sell.
    01-07-15 11:41 AM
    Q: Have the "Passport and Classic" lived up to your expectations?
    A (John Chen): The Passport and Classic, when it gets to the hands of the individuals, meet expectations. Right on track. What we need to work on is distribution channel. AT&T is big step forward.

Not necessarily. Design wise, he is satisfied, which is something new: Blackberry never had in recent years a satisfactory BB10 design.
    01-07-15 11:58 AM
    "What we need to work on is distribution channel." John Chens beating around the bush on how they sold speaks volumes. Nobody cares whether he likes the devices or not, because nobody expects an honest answer on that topic.
    01-07-15 12:07 PM
    Well, we got the HBox.
    Lol.. and rounded corners on a Passport.
    01-07-15 12:12 PM
    "What we need to work on is distribution channel." John Chens beating around the bush on how they sold speaks volumes. Nobody cares whether he likes the devices or not, because nobody expects an honest answer on that topic.
    There are some things you can't disclose outside of a shareholder meeting with financial reports to back them up.
    01-07-15 12:12 PM
    There are some things you can't disclose outside of a shareholder meeting with financial reports to back them up.
    Well, he didn't even detail the sales during the last financial reports other than the mysterious 200.000 Passports number (sold? delivered? pre-ordered?). If he would see a major turn-around he would state that clearly.
    01-07-15 12:16 PM
    Well, he didn't even detail the sales during the last financial reports other than the mysterious 200.000 Passports number (sold? delivered? pre-ordered?). If he would see a major turn-around he would state that clearly.
    He mentioned that sale through for a lot of the Passport and Classic devices were not in the reporting quarter. So, if he said that they only sold 50,000 Passports, because they couldn't fullfil the larger 200,000 order in Q3, how do you think that would go over?

Being conservative about the sales is better than saying they sold millions and didn't.
    01-07-15 12:30 PM
    Chen said last year that he'd do a 2015 roadmap update at Mobile World Congress in early March. Seems more fitting for that.
    Not surprising. MWC is apparently becoming the de facto stage for smartphones and their ilk while CES is fading in the rearview mirror.
    01-07-15 12:56 PM
    Do you actually understand how distributed computing works? Might I suggest you hop over to Wikipedia and do a bit of background reading on QNX first. I don't think you have a firm grasp of the basic concepts.

Posted via CB10
    Actually, I do understand how it works. But what is being talked about (before today) is QNX in the automobile. Not BB10 QNX. They are one in the same but we are talking about two completely different markets here.

This is true, but let's be fair here. A lot of people think that because QNX is being discussed tag CES that BB is there showing some type of new device software when in reality what they are showing doesn't have anything to do with what their phone is running, meaning that there isn't going to be some demo of something on a BB device showing us something that we have never heard of before.
    Exactly.

I also wouldn't doubt these QNX based infotainment systems have better support for iOS and Android than they do for BB10.
    01-07-15 06:48 PM
    This is true, but let's be fair here. A lot of people think that because QNX is being discussed tag CES that BB is there showing some type of new device software when in reality what they are showing doesn't have anything to do with what their phone is running, meaning that there isn't going to be some demo of something on a BB device showing us something that we have never heard of before.
    Well as we saw today B10 devices worked seamless with the QNX car because they share a common micro kernel design that allows them to interact. No overlays or hardwire connections like Google or Apple to get everything to sort of work. So I think your main point is mute. The world moves forward and BlackBerry is moving back to the driver's seat.

Posted via CB10
    01-07-15 11:57 PM
    Actually, I do understand how it works. But what is being talked about (before today) is QNX in the automobile. Not BB10 QNX. They are one in the same but we are talking about two completely different markets here.

Exactly.

I also wouldn't doubt these QNX based infotainment systems have better support for iOS and Android than they do for BB10.
    Hmm, so how exactly do you explain that big ugly cable required to connect the iPhone to the car system. Is this Apple's new wireless idea? LOL.

Posted via CB10
    01-08-15 12:01 AM
    Hmm, so how exactly do you explain that big ugly cable required to connect the iPhone to the car system. Is this Apple's new wireless idea? LOL.

Posted via CB10
    Does it really matter? You can charge your phone and connect to CarPlay at the same time. Most new cars have USB connections. Also, it's rumored that CarPlay will have wireless ability just like AirPlay.

My Volvo syncs perfectly to my 6 Plus wirelessly using bluetooth as is.
    01-08-15 01:01 AM
    It's a little melodramatic. :-) He's said several times that the Passport sold better than he expected and once that the classic pre-orders were north of the passport. But he made the comments in context of how far he could get with them in terms of limited distribution.

John Chen's job is to make the handset division be able to be profitable and sustainable. That means he needs to grow the carrier relationships again in places where he can make an impact.
    01-08-15 05:28 AM
    Well as we saw today B10 devices worked seamless with the QNX car because they share a common micro kernel design that allows them to interact. No overlays or hardwire connections like Google or Apple to get everything to sort of work. So I think your main point is mute. The world moves forward and BlackBerry is moving back to the driver's seat.

Posted via CB10
    I'm not disagreeing with you, but that wasn't my point. People in here think that any time QNX is mentioned that BB is going to be up on stage releasing a new device with a new software update, etc. QNX isn't just about what's on a BB or the devices was my point and has a larger scale than that.
    01-08-15 05:58 AM
    Don't really see how sharing the same micro kernel automatically allows BB10 smartphones to work better with QNX-bases dash units. One would hope that QNX would only allow communication via a well-defined protocols far removed from the core of the OS.

I did see a lot of Android Auto and Car Play compatibility though.
    Last edited by early2bed; 01-08-15 at 06:54 AM.
    01-08-15 06:08 AM
    Here are some pics I took at the QNX/BlackBerry booth. Enjoy! :-)

BlackBerry at CES?-img_20150107_155304.jpg

BlackBerry at CES?-img_20150107_155439.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails BlackBerry at CES?-img_20150107_155526.jpg   BlackBerry at CES?-img_20150107_155711.jpg   BlackBerry at CES?-img_20150107_155939.jpg   BlackBerry at CES?-img_20150107_160046.jpg   BlackBerry at CES?-img_20150107_160747.jpg  

BlackBerry at CES?-img_20150107_160808.jpg   BlackBerry at CES?-img_20150107_160820.jpg   BlackBerry at CES?-img_20150107_160836.jpg   BlackBerry at CES?-img_20150107_161033.jpg   BlackBerry at CES?-img_20150107_161612.jpg  

alan510 and greenberry666 like this.
    01-08-15 11:00 AM

Posted via CB10
    As I understood it, initial concerns about latency or delay, which would be extremely distracting to the driver. All the heavy lifting is done on the phone. The power drain does mean it isn't entirely a bad thing to have it charging as well. But I have heard as well they are aiming for wireless connection.
    avt123 likes this.
    01-08-15 11:41 AM
    That is an awesome car. Love the finish.
    BBVegasGirl80 likes this.
    01-08-15 11:43 AM
44 12