Just announced by Reuters. The source says it's to help family deal with health issues and that he will not be taking another job.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    Qorax and Chuck Finley69 like this.
    11-17-17 03:05 PM
    Sorry to hear that.
    11-17-17 03:09 PM
    BlackBerry's CEO is John Chen. He's the COO. Wonder who Chen will replace him with.
    Hope his family situation gets better, he did a great job at BB and this shows his great character.
    11-17-17 04:31 PM
    BlackBerry's CEO is John Chen. He's the COO. Wonder who Chen will replace him with.
    Hope his family situation gets better, he did a great job at BB and this shows his great character.
    Auto correct error. Sorry for the confusion. Mods, please fix if possible!

Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-17-17 04:38 PM
    Just read the article. Hope things work out for Marty and family.
    11-18-17 01:54 PM
    I hope he gets replaced by a BB10 fan person.

Posted via CB10
    11-27-17 08:50 PM

Posted via CB10
    What difference would that make?

BB10 is already gone. The device business is already gone. No one is left. No buildings are left. No management is left. No development infrastructure or tools are left.

Management doesn't want it. The Board of Directors don't want it. The shareholders don't want it.
    11-27-17 09:26 PM

BB10 is already gone. The device business is already gone. No one is left. No buildings are left. No management is left. No development infrastructure or tools are left.

Management doesn't want it. The Board of Directors don't want it. The shareholders don't want it.
    Nobody wanted.....
    11-27-17 09:47 PM

The difference is that such person will push BB / Android development to create a better experience like myself and many others here are begging for!

Hub can do a lot more and much more productively and so can all other BB App Suite products but I suspect that this won't happen by a person that never experienced the fluidity in which BB10 used to work.

Other than the amazing PKB, BB has a real opportunity to continue and differentiate itself from this overly flooded market by creating an experience that doesn't exist on any other device. In my option an Android Google / iPhone guy will never get it since they never experienced it!
    11-27-17 11:13 PM
    The difference is that such person will push BB / Android development to create a better experience like myself and many others here are begging for!

Hub can do a lot more and much more productively and so can all other BB App Suite products but I suspect that this won't happen by a person that never experienced the fluidity in which BB10 used to work.

Other than the amazing PKB, BB has a real opportunity to continue and differentiate itself from this overly flooded market by creating an experience that doesn't exist on any other device. In my option an Android Google / iPhone guy will never get it since they never experienced it!
    The COO will have little to do with all that.

Thurber is in charge of the device software.
    11-27-17 11:17 PM
    The COO will have little to do with all that.

Thurber is in charge of the device software.
    Well then I got to speak with him!
    11-27-17 11:22 PM

Posted via CB10
    We both know that it could happen.
    Unrelated note... I wonder what happened to BerrySoul.
    11-28-17 02:47 AM

Posted via CB10
    Anyone who wants BlackBerry to survive as a company hopes he doesn't.
    11-28-17 05:08 AM
    Maybe he Soul-ed out? 😈
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    11-28-17 06:11 AM
    No senior level executive believes in anything BB10 related in BB. Security guard at front desk knows to shoot BB10 on sight....
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    11-28-17 09:02 AM
    I don't know why it's so difficult for people to understand that, when it comes to operating systems, timing matters more than quality. Microsoft's Windows 3.1 was a terrible OS, but it arrived at the right time, before IBM was ready with OS/2, so Windows became dominant.

BB10 never had a chance, despite its many virtues. It was simply too late to market. I'm sure there are MANY executives at BlackBerry who loved BB10 and believed it to be superior to Android and iOS, including John Chen. But that doesn't mean it was a commercially viable product.

11-28-17 09:36 AM
    I don't know why it's so difficult for people to understand that, when it comes to operating systems, timing matters more than quality. Microsoft's Windows 3.1 was a terrible OS, but it arrived at the right time, before IBM was ready with OS/2, so Windows became dominant.

BB10 never had a chance, despite its many virtues. It was simply too late to market. I'm sure there are MANY executives at BlackBerry who loved BB10 and believed it to be superior to Android and iOS, including John Chen. But that doesn't mean it was a commercially viable product.

Too be honest, timing probably wasn't the only issue. Even if BB10 had launched in 2010, BlackBerry didn't have the right mindset to compete in the consumer market. With most of enterprise going BYOD, that would have pretty much destroyed any chance of BlackBerry building enough marketshare to be see as a viable option for developers.

BlackBerry's focus, is what Chen has been saying.... and it's not licensing of the brand or Android Development. As neither of those have been very successful this year. Anyone else promoted or hired will have the experience needed for what Chen's focus for the company is.
    11-28-17 10:30 AM
    Too be honest, timing probably wasn't the only issue. Even if BB10 had launched in 2010, BlackBerry didn't have the right mindset to compete in the consumer market. With most of enterprise going BYOD, that would have pretty much destroyed any chance of BlackBerry building enough marketshare to be see as a viable option for developers.

BlackBerry's focus, is what Chen has been saying.... and it's not licensing of the brand or Android Development. As neither of those have been very successful this year. Anyone else promoted or hired will have the experience needed for what Chen's focus for the company is.
    I agree with BYOD and the consumer market being the other major challenge BlackBerry faced. I think if they'd beaten Android and become the major competitor to the iPhone, it might have been a more interesting fight, as IT still had a lot of control to exert in 2009-10. It might have bought BlackBerry enough time to transition successfully with the huge revenues and cash hoarde they possessed at that time.

11-28-17 10:35 AM
    I agree with BYOD and the consumer market being the other major challenge BlackBerry faced. I think if they'd beaten Android and become the major competitor to the iPhone, it might have been a more interesting fight, as IT still had a lot of control to exert in 2009-10. It might have bought BlackBerry enough time to transition successfully with the huge revenues and cash hoarde they possessed at that time.

Maybe.... but don't think Mike or JIm would have given control over to someone until it was too late. And they nor their "team" had any clue what they were doing outside of the BIS/BES monopoly they had going on. Which is why they didn't see the need for a new OS until it was too late.

But that is the past, BlackBerry's future isn't in mobile devices at this point. Do think that if IoT is in their plans, sticking with Android Development with more focus on Android of Things might be very wise.
    11-28-17 10:55 AM
    Maybe.... but don't think Mike or JIm would have given control over to someone until it was too late. And they nor their "team" had any clue what they were doing outside of the BIS/BES monopoly they had going on. Which is why they didn't see the need for a new OS until it was too late.

But that is the past, BlackBerry's future isn't in mobile devices at this point. Do think that if IoT is in their plans, sticking with Android Development with more focus on Android of Things might be very wise.
    I think we pretty much agree on all this stuff. I think, strategically, BlackBerry had the assets (market position, IP, financial strength, etc.) in 2006-8 to stay relevant and profitable long enough to carve out a solid position in a hybrid BYOD world, and could have slowed the transition to BYOD in the enterprise long enough to adjust.

But the list of "if only" conditions is substantial:

Executive vision
    Carrier pressure
    Competitors
    Execution of a complex plan
    Internal change management
    Marketing strategy
    Shareholder resistance to a new, less secure revenue model
    Etc.

Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    11-28-17 11:09 AM
    Anyone who wants BlackBerry to survive as a company hopes he doesn't.
    Exactly. There is no reason to revisit the failure that was BB10.
    11-28-17 01:13 PM