I have a PlayBook and a 9900 soon to arrive in the mail to replace my 9700. I'm debating buying a High Def Camcorder for Christmas to record family home videos during get togethers and parties. If I get a camcorder it'll be in the $350 - $400 range.

My dilemma is justyfing having an HD video camera in the PlayBook and another one in the 9900 soon to arrive in the mail. Is it reduntant to get a camcorder?

QUESTION #1
    Who here has bought a camcorder despite having video capabilities from a BlackBerry Device?

QUESTION 2
    Who here has put their camcorder away and instead use their BlackBerry Device for their video needs?
    12-04-11 04:33 PM
    Im happy with the high quality videos I can record with my 9810 and have no
    plans of purchasing a camcorder.
    now the huge advantage of having a Camcorder with lets say a 15x optical zoom
    is that it makes a word of a difference when zooming into something compare
    to just digital zoom on the phone.
    kbz1960, bcbbanga4l and malanis5 like this.
    12-04-11 04:41 PM
    The pb is portable and will be good for spur-of-the-moment video recording.
    I found the pb shoots good HD when I have a lot of light. Grainy in low light. It is a good HD recorder.

An HD camcorder has more options and is better for varying light levels and you have optical zoom. Definitely a must for family videos and special occasions

All three are needed
    malanis5 likes this.
    12-04-11 07:03 PM
    Since getting my PlayBook I have not pulled out the Video Camera, my 9900 serves as a quick and nasty video capture when I want to record something like the guy riding down the stairs in a shopping cart.

the PlayBook has served as a Actual video camera for things like Birth day parties, and things you want to be memorable, and what is great is it shoots high enough quality and really takes up no space being propped up on a mantle
    malanis5 likes this.
    12-04-11 07:25 PM
    I would say that since you will be purchasing it for the holidays and the time not officially here yet, take your playbook and once you receive your 9900 and experiment with them. Try making some practice videos around your house and see if your content with the results or want to really make the step forward and get that camcorder, cause imagine if you do purchase and then try out your devices and you actually were happy with the quality, wouldn't that be an annoyance. I am very content with the quality that I receive, I hardly even use my DSLR anymore -_-
    malanis5 likes this.
    12-04-11 07:47 PM
    I have an HD vid cam but since getting my 9860 and PB I haven't used my camcorder at all. I take a lot of short vids of my 3 boys and find my phone or PB does a great job. Going on a cruise at Christmas time and debating whether to take my camcorder or leave it home. Guessing i'll take it just for the security of knowing I have it.
    malanis5 likes this.
    12-04-11 08:37 PM
    The 2 big shortcomings are flash and zoom. Other than that, it is a great vidcam. The audio capture is awesome with dual mics. If you're going to be shooting a lot in low light, it may not no the job well enough.

Here's some stuff I've taken if you want to see an example:

malanis5 likes this.
    12-04-11 10:46 PM
    I use my 9930 for every picture need and recording in HD is awesome with both my BB and my PB. I was contemplating a video camera and a digital camera but there is no need i use my phone and pb they work great.
    malanis5 likes this.
    12-04-11 11:11 PM
    I'm a cattle farmer. I use my BlackBerrys to video and photo document calf births. My kids are in 4h and FFA clubs and its real good information for the clubs.
    I've also used my camera and video recorder to do to product reviews and video tuturials on mechanical things on my tractors and trucks/cars. I haven't felt the need to have another video camera. My BlackBerrys has thus far made good enough pictures and videos for my needs and its really nice having one when life surprises me with the need for a camera.
    malanis5 likes this.
    12-05-11 03:57 AM
    I have found 9860 video recording was of very good quality as good as Camcorder. To me it suffies my purpose since I don't need for professional purpose.
    malanis5 likes this.
    12-05-11 04:42 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD