04-13-09 05:20 PM
31 12
tools
    The only reason I switched to a BB in the first place was because I recently found out that I could receive a discount off my monthly bill through my job. After doing the math, and realizing that with the discount I'd be paying pretty much the same thing I was paying on my plan with the regular phone, I figured why not, take the plunge. I'm glad I did, I love it. But if I were to switch jobs and lose the discount, I would definitely sacrifice something in order to keep using my Blackberry. It would be absolute torture to have to switch back to a regular phone now.
    04-12-09 11:30 PM
    Am I the only one that doesn't like coffee? I can't even stand the smell of it.
    nope, you're not the only one. I don't like it but maybe a couple times a year, and only when it's cold out.

sorry but I don't feel bad for anyone that has to "give up" their starbucks to save money. it's just coffee. deal with it.
    04-12-09 11:49 PM
    It would be nice to have a cheaper plan. Right now I have two Curves (my wife and I) and two Razr's ( my mother and father-in-law). It costs just over $200 thru Alltel a month.
    04-13-09 03:10 PM
    Firstly - I'm a student, so I OBVIOUSLY am not in the self-sustaining position much like many others here, but I find that in general removing useless expenses is the best tactic.

I mean, gum, HONESTLY, haha. Well no, some people love it, but I got rid of that and it's an easy $5/week.

I now only use coffee as a tool (thank you exams.. ggrr), so easily saving me $25/week there.

And I try to make my lunches at home and take them to school (or to my job). Instead of blowing $15 on a meal I make it at home and it costs me maybe $2-3?

Just little strategies to save the extra buck. AND I spoke to my provider (Rogers) and they upgraded me to 500mb data for the same cost of unlimited email - so I successfully keep my phone bill down (only $60 normally)
    04-13-09 03:37 PM
    Firstly - I'm a student, so I OBVIOUSLY am not in the self-sustaining position much like many others here, but I find that in general removing useless expenses is the best tactic.

I mean, gum, HONESTLY, haha. Well no, some people love it, but I got rid of that and it's an easy $5/week.

I now only use coffee as a tool (thank you exams.. ggrr), so easily saving me $25/week there.

And I try to make my lunches at home and take them to school (or to my job). Instead of blowing $15 on a meal I make it at home and it costs me maybe $2-3?

Just little strategies to save the extra buck. AND I spoke to my provider (Rogers) and they upgraded me to 500mb data for the same cost of unlimited email - so I successfully keep my phone bill down (only $60 normally)
    You're welcome to PM me for my PIN if you want help with meal ideas and other ways to save money. I'm the frugal queen . If you have even a small freezer and a micro, definitely double up on your meals when you cook and if you don't want to eat the same thing 2x in a row, freeze it and cook like that for a week then next week you can skip a few nights and eventually you'll have a couple week's worth of 'fast food' in your freezer to choose from. Just make sure to defrost in fridge that morning for that night or you can just use half power on micro to defrost, but rotate and check it often.

Get a large bottle of apple juice and a big container of quick oats or old fashioned oats, either will work (go to Aldi's if you have one near you). Mix approx. 1/2 Cup Oats and 1 Cup apple juice in a bowl, into the micro for 2-3min (depending on your micro), stir and let it sit 1min.
    Makes better flavored oatmeal than those expensive little pkgs. I just use the same measure cup for both even though normally you don't use a liquid measure for oats (that's why it says 'approx'... most stuff I make is approx, I don't like "exact" much LOL). Anyway, it's a nutritious breakfast, as well as cheap and fast.

Not sure where you're at but I'm a gum chewer too (daily) as is DS... I buy it when they have (rare) BOGOF on the 10pk pkgs or they have a pretty good sale at Walgreen's Drug store (they seem to have different types gum on sale couple times a month) or the grocery store (reg price is $1.99 an 8pk of Extra, polar ice is strong mint).
    Something else that you may try that may surprise you: break it in half and see if that's enough. I got in that habit when my son was little cause he wanted to chew gum also but a piece was too big, but then later, a whole piece felt too large for me too LOL! You can actually talk comfortably around a half piece and flavors are so strong now that it really is enough (just watch out for the Stride guys they'll come and make you spit it out! )

Depending on where you shop you can save up to half. I had to eat a lot of protein after my surgery and we were buying sardines at Aldi's for .49 (think they're up to .59 now) and at reg grocery we were lucky to find them for .99 (I know, sardines = yuck to some ppl just an example LOL).
    Remember: where you buy could be more $ and the more pkging could = less nutrition.
    Fruit/veggies = good; packaged snack cakes from the stop-n-rob = expensive and bad for you

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by bfoster; 04-13-09 at 04:57 PM.
    04-13-09 04:51 PM
    Can you tell this is one topic I'm extremely passionate about? I do hate the idea of anybody going without anything they feel they really want, and especially if it's a need. If there's any way to cut back to get it, I will help anybody find that way.
    Eating at home rather than eating out can save so much money, can be so much more nutritious, and you can combine it with entertaining with your friends to cut entertainment costs as well!
    I love cooking and baking and would be more than happy to help anybody with that... I 'met' a lady thru another board a few months ago who had never learned to cook and in just a week was using a crockpot she had stashed away years ago and was making real meals. She swore she didn't know how and it would never turn out right she even had me starting to wonder LOL! But I have a lot of recipes that don't have to be exact.
    The main thing is, is just to try it. If you're married, do it together, don't put it on one person, make it something you do together... then it's fun and not a chore if you have children, get them in on it, washing veggies, making the salad (tearing the lettuce, not cutting) etc

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by bfoster; 04-16-09 at 09:59 PM.
    04-13-09 05:20 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD