My Alltel bill almost doubled when my husband and I got our BlackBerry's.
    In response to that much more money leaving our bank account, I decided that I could do without a few things.
    I no longer have a daily run to Starbucks - $5 times 20 visits = $100 savings -
    Pays for my BB! and I still get my Starbucks on the weekends!

Does anybody else make a little sacrifice to budget in the cost of BB ownership?
    07-26-07 11:43 PM
    I've had to make many sacrifices. Especially since I seem to always buy a BlackBerry with no contract...
    07-29-07 08:15 AM
    I Still Couldnt Get Coverage At The Lake But I Gotta Pay Anyway.

I Need That Hear Me Now Guy To Come To Lake
    04-12-09 02:52 PM
    Luckily I don't have to make any sacrifices to be able to keep up with my bill. But I think anyone who can sacrifice that horrendous Starbucks coffee crap to save money no matter what is going in the right direction.

Winchell's and 7-11 coffee all the way.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-12-09 02:59 PM
    Well if your coffee taste is the 7-11 then I see the whole problem, you've never had coffee. U tend to like stuff that is akin to Sanka and boiled all day. Ask them when was the last time they cleaned the pot. No matter the cost I will have Starbucks and my unlimited BB.

04-12-09 03:05 PM
    My Alltel bill almost doubled when my husband and I got our BlackBerry's.
    In response to that much more money leaving our bank account, I decided that I could do without a few things.
    I no longer have a daily run to Starbucks - $5 times 20 visits = $100 savings -
    Pays for my BB! and I still get my Starbucks on the weekends!

Does anybody else make a little sacrifice to budget in the cost of BB ownership?
    ONLY $5?? I'm usually spending some $15 a day at Starbucks!

No sacrifices made here! I'm lucky enough to have a great paying job to where I really have no worries about money.

04-12-09 03:10 PM
    I know!!! It isn't cheap to have 2 bbs and a dumbphone on one plan. It adds up very quickly---- insurance for phones + 2 phones

04-12-09 03:11 PM
    Lucky for me, my company pays for the bill.
    The catch...
    We don't have a land line(with wireless the way it is why would you) and the number is mine and I refuse to carry a company provided phone (even though I am forced right now due to the Storm having issues) so they can contact me any time and they do.
    04-12-09 03:20 PM
    Well if your coffee taste is the 7-11 then I see the whole problem, you've never had coffee. U tend to like stuff that is akin to Sanka and boiled all day. Ask them when was the last time they cleaned the pot. No matter the cost I will have Starbucks and my unlimited BB.

Like I said, 7-11 coffee is what I prefer over Starbucks. Anytime.

04-12-09 03:22 PM
    dunkin donuts anyone?

i try to lay off the sweets while i'm out, both to avoid spending unnecessarily and to save up on calories lol. it helps a little
    04-12-09 04:11 PM
    Am I the only one that doesn't like coffee? I can't even stand the smell of it.
    04-12-09 04:17 PM
    I had to wait for my 2% raise to make up the difference!

04-12-09 04:23 PM
    What DO you like? Teas? There's so many, and can be used for a variety of things.

I also like coffee but make mine @ home: less expensive, more delicious. Yuban is yummy and mellow and if I need it stronger I throw in some Santo Domingo.

But I'm like that with most things I consume, I prefer to make it myself!

04-12-09 05:25 PM
    Totally join you bfoster: Brew it at home with my Senseo (do you know them in the States?) And then keep it in my BRUGO mug on my way to work. Perfect combo for about 0,30 USD per drink and I get to make it exactly the way I like it. Brazil blend, black,
    2 sugar

04-12-09 06:43 PM
    This thing has made me spend way more money than I ever planned! But in general, lately I don't buy all the little things that look fun.
    04-12-09 06:49 PM
    I haven't made any sacrifices for the phone plan itself but withe current economy I find myself eating at home more it seems. As far as the cost of the plan goes, I have 4 BBs on the 1500 share plan and Sprint's been very good to me via retention. Otherwise, I could see how the bill could be a concern.

Luckily for me I never cared for Starbucks

04-12-09 07:07 PM
    I save so much money because I hate the taste of coffee, I am a tea drinker at work though and I just bring tea bags to work

My BB bill isn't too bad so I don't have to make sacrifices, thank goodness.
    04-12-09 07:15 PM

A starbucks coffee drinker making fun of someone else's coffee preference. Oh the irony.

As for cutting costs when needed, the BB plan would be the first to go if it came to it.

04-12-09 08:30 PM
    No sacrifices made here! I'm lucky enough to have a great paying job to where I really have no worries about money.
    Where do you work at? What do you do? I'd love to find a job like that! :-)
    04-12-09 08:35 PM
    Totally join you bfoster: Brew it at home with my Senseo (do you know them in the States?) And then keep it in my BRUGO mug on my way to work. Perfect combo for about 0,30 USD per drink and I get to make it exactly the way I like it. Brazil blend, black,
    2 sugar
    Senseo is espresso machine?
    I use a Krups, but make cappucino. I have to be feeling pretty hardcore to drink espresso gotta have my cream!

Oh! Add to my list of likes: Colombian with half milk/half cream {slurp} I do avoid white sugar as too much makes my joints hurt... when I want sweet I use honey but usually just skip it (need it in tea though).

You know, in general this is all about priorities... if a person feels 'deprived' then redo the budget, get rid of what YOU feel is not necessary, don't let others dictate it to you. If Starbucks makes you feel pampered then keep it and find something else to cut if you can. Or buy a Starbucks thermal mug and Starbucks coffee and brew at home (IDK if it tastes the same, just a thought though)

So many ppl are 'cutting back' now... But I don't live any differently because I've always lived frugally so I could/can splurge on the things that are important to me and mine.

Words of wisdom
    #1. Know the difference (and teach your children) between "want" and "need". This is a big one. Ask youself before each and every purchase, big or small, is this a need, or a want?
    #2. Watch the pennies and the $ will take care of themselves (a few cents here and there DOES add up...)
    #3. Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without if you don't understand this, ask your mom or dad, or your grandparents. Or look up "The Great Depression" and you'll see the lessons taught to me by my father and my grandmother (thanks to both of them I know I can make it through anything)

I don't consider myself 'cheap' but I am frugal as all get out. that said, I have very nice things, most for which I waited and for which I paid very little, and all which I am thankful to have. This is the message I try to teach my child, that the "get it now" materialistic world view is not acceptable to me. IDK if in has sunk in yet, but hoping it'll stick like it did with my father and then with me

And I'm hoping with the changing times, maybe more families will throw that "get it now" mindset out the window as well...
    (Of course this doesn't apply to BBs because those are necessities )

04-12-09 08:42 PM
    i'm not a huge fan of coffee myself, i quite like tea
    04-12-09 08:44 PM
    I am a fan of Starbucks Either bought at a store or made at home. Second choice Seattle's Best and third Dunkin Doughnuts. I don't frequent 7-11s and definetly don't drink that brew. I can and do afford it and my BB. I guess my standard of livong is so that I can. And yes I know Starbucks bought out Seattle's Best.

04-12-09 09:14 PM
    No budget with my bb. It is the same cost it was from when I had a windows mobile phone, so I don't worry about it.

I make my coffee in the morning with my keurig and that way, I have variety and coffee that tastes like gourmet without having to stop on the way into work (plus it makes tea too).

04-12-09 09:20 PM
    Where do you work at? What do you do? I'd love to find a job like that! :-)
    I work for the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers. Which basically means I work for the Union! I'm an electrician. It's kind of tough to go through two years of apprenticeship but once you get past that, it's well worth it!

04-12-09 09:21 PM
    i don't eat out ( usually 5 bux a day) , and watch movies online (10 bux a pop) if do need to buy something i charge it on my amex card and earn 3% cash back, in addition i get 25% off verizon service because i use to work at a hospital. i rather have a blackberry with a data plan than those other useless purchases.
    04-12-09 11:21 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD