Hello, I used to use Opera to browse, but I am liking the blackberry browser more and more. I can't stand the choppy cursor movement in Opera. Why would they make it so terrible?

Anyways, if I type in "mcdonalds" into Opera's google search, it shows me a map of my city with a few locations. When I do the same in the BB browser, it shows me a map of Manhattan. Anyone know how to get the BB browser to give me local results without typing my city name beside the business I'm searching for? Thanks!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-01-10 09:12 AM
    How would it know where you are unless you tell it?

Try searching in Google Maps instead.
    10-01-10 11:58 AM
    Google,MSN,Yahoo web sites let you set your location by zip or state. If you are doing a search through a search engine it won't have a clue where you are, why would it?

10-01-10 12:43 PM
    Not sure how Opera connects to the interwebs, but the BB Browser goes over BIS (unless you're connected by WiFi)

To see what IP address your browser is presenting, go to What Is My IP Address - Shows Your IP Address
    Code:
    http://wimi.com/
    With that information, service providers for some time have been using databases called IP Geolocation Databases. They attempt to map networks to specific regions, state/provinces, countries, etc.

Problem is, not all of them are accurate.

To see where websites/search engines think you are, go to IP Address Geolocation to Identify Website Visitor's Geographical Location
    Code:
    http://www.ip2location.com/
    . If you go there from your BB Browser, you'll see it likely brings up Waterloo, ON. If you go there from your desktop, you can provide an IP Address on the right sidebar to look up.

Then go to My IP Address Lookup and GeoTargeting
    Code:
    http://hostip.info/
    from your phone or from your desktop and put in the IP Address. For me, my BIS address reports back Augusta, Maine!

And finally, try Locate IP Address Lookup Show on Map City of the IP
    Code:
    http://infosniper.net/
    That is the third database (MaxMind - GeoIP for your IP address) in use which I know about, and though accurate sometimes to scary proportions, in this case, only tells us that we're in the US.

So, in essence, when using the BlackBerry, best to pop in the ZIP/Postal Code as well.

You can also send a txt message to Google (466453) and get the search results back and not have to use the browser.
    Last edited by mykey2k; 10-01-10 at 01:45 PM.
    10-01-10 01:40 PM
    mykey2k, thank you for the information.

I checked the links above, and sure enough, its not saying my correct location. Then, I checked the same links in Opera, and while it did say I was in a different location (where the Opera servers are I presume), it was still wrong.

How in the world is Opera giving me local results without knowing my city name or Postal code? Does it do this for anyone else?

10-01-10 02:03 PM
    I just did another search in Opera and it showed me a business in my city. I then noticed a link that said "change my location". I don't remember telling Google my location before.

I then did another search in the BB browser and clicked on a link that said "view customizations", and this is what it said;

"When possible, Google will customize your search results based on location and/or recent search activity. Additionally, when you're signed in to your Google Account, you may see even more relevant, useful results based on your web history."

I was logged into my account with both Opera and BB browser. So maybe Opera only knew my location because I've done so many searches that included my city, so now it just assumes. Like I said before, I just started using the BB browser, so maybe in time it will learn where I am based on my searches...

Last edited by canadiantdi; 10-01-10 at 02:27 PM.
    10-01-10 02:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD