Apple had Jobs, a visionary and a hell of a salesman, and Ive, a world-class designer. And the tech world was at a particular crossroads. I'm not sure the miraculous rebirth of Apple is an all-purpose example.
    Jobs basically turned Apple around by getting into the music business with the first-to-market sweet spot of 99c per song, despite promising the Beatles they would stay away from the music business as long as the company used the name 'Apple'. The iPhone was really just a glorified ipod, which was really just a glorified Walkman. The design is world class, although not terribly unique (look at Braun products, for example). Still, they hit it out of the park with all of their mobile products, partly as a result of their marketing. However, I think it's important to remember that the precise moment of 'the crossroads' for Apple's turnaround was less about Tech, and more about Steve Jobs doing an end-run around an intransigent music industry so hell-bent on shutting down Napster and suing college kids that they couldn't see the magic baseball bat that was about to hit them in the face.

Posted via CB10
    Jerry A, JeepBB and rusty502 like this.
    04-20-16 05:07 AM
    I don't think it bodes well for "flagship" phones in general. I get the same impression that, as the smartphone market has matured, people are simply getting less excited by "the next big thing," to use Samsung's marketing phrase. They pretty much know what they want to do with a phone, be it Facebook, Uber, Netflix, navigation, or whatever. If they can get one for $300-500 that does all that stuff well--and there are indeed very good phones in that range--they don't need to pay a premium of several hundred dollars more to get the ultimate phone.

I'm still chugging along on my OnePlus One. Although I've only had it since January 2015, the phone itself was released two years ago, for $350 (65 GB model). The thing still works great, and has outstanding battery life. I enjoy new toys as much as the next person, but it's hard for me to persuade myself that I need to buy a new phone at all anytime soon. And when I do, it's going to be even harder for me to persuade myself to spend $700 or more, for any phone.
    I think both software and hardware are getting at a point where a mid-range device is the way to go. Google tried really hard to make Android more efficient for mid-range devices and people began to notice this. Of course I would still NEVER recommend a low-end Android device to anyone.
    04-20-16 06:06 AM
    The reality is all the big players in the smartphone arena don't want BlackBerry to make a comeback.
    I mean just look, most of all the big apps refused to make an app for the blackberry phones even when BlackBerry offered to pay them to make it.
    Some like snap chat and many others even simply refused to let them have access to the api
    That's just part of it, it's like all the big players had a meeting and said let's do everything we can to stop BlackBerry.

But it also doesn't help that the people at BlackBerry seem to have this idea that "real businesses people " only want a phone for email and phone calls only

Just because someone wears a suit or owns a business doesn't mean that when they have some down time that your not going to want to play your wife a few moves of words with friends
    Or get on Facebook to see what's going on.

Then they make an expensive android phone that's huge with the worst physical keyboard ever on a blackberry with horrible build quality and software issues right out of the box

There done in the phone arena until they get someone in that has a clue

Posted via CB10
    04-20-16 07:27 AM
    The reality is all the big players in the smartphone arena don't want BlackBerry to make a comeback.
    I mean just look, most of all the big apps refused to make an app for the blackberry phones even when BlackBerry offered to pay them to make it.
    Some like snap chat and many others even simply refused to let them have access to the api
    That's just part of it, it's like all the big players had a meeting and said let's do everything we can to stop BlackBerry.
    No, it's like all the big players independently evaluated Blackberry's market position and install base, and said, "Well, not really worth it to cater to less than one percent of the market."

There is no conspiracy. Just market reality.
    04-20-16 07:32 AM
    I personally think that Blackberry's chance at making a major comeback in this current market is gone and has been gone for a while now. They could still be a niche player though.

Just look at the USA, here I see all my business clients using Android and/or iPhones and they are not missing a beat as far as being productive or on the device security end.

I haven't heard any of them complain about end to end security on their corporate devices. These are major automotive suppliers and the IT folks who work for the big three themselves.

The iPhone and Android devices are firmly embedded into the consumer and business culture here and the apps they use to get things done are the standard by which any new device that comes to the market will be judged.

I have been a loyal Blackberry user from the early days, but I have seen how the once iconic brand has been pushed aside and mostly forgotten here.

I now have a Blackberry android device and a iPhone 6s I use for my daily drivers and as much as I once loved OS10 and all it's great features. I now have found that I am just as productive with my Priv and iPhone.

This is not being negative or any of that BS, this is reality in 2016 and at this point in time, I feel Blackberry's only chance at saving what little market share they have is by making secured Android devices, period.

I have always spoke from my gut and I don't sugar coat stuff. I say if this is the direction that the company must take to satisfy their enterprise clients and ensure the hardware divisions survival, then so be it.

I for one will embrace it and be the first in line to buy the new Android based Blackberry devices as long as they have value added pricing. Just my two cents.
    04-20-16 03:53 PM
    I personally think that Blackberry's chance at making a major comeback in this current market is gone and has been gone for a while now. They could still be a niche player though.

Just look at the USA, here I see all my business clients using Android and/or iPhones and they are not missing a beat as far as being productive or on the device security end.

I haven't heard any of them complain about end to end security on their corporate devices. These are major automotive suppliers and the IT folks who work for the big three themselves.

The iPhone and Android devices are firmly embedded into the consumer and business culture here and the apps they use to get things done are the standard by which any new device that comes to the market will be judged.

I have been a loyal Blackberry user from the early days, but I have seen how the once iconic brand has been pushed aside and mostly forgotten here.

I now have a Blackberry android device and a iPhone 6s I use for my daily drivers and as much as I once loved OS10 and all it's great features. I now have found that I am just as productive with my Priv and iPhone.

This is not being negative or any of that BS, this is reality in 2016 and at this point in time, I feel Blackberry's only chance at saving what little market share they have is by making secured Android devices, period.

I have always spoke from my gut and I don't sugar coat stuff. I say if this is the direction that the company must take to satisfy their enterprise clients and ensure the hardware divisions survival, then so be it.

I for one will embrace it and be the first in line to buy the new Android based Blackberry devices as long as they have value added pricing. Just my two cents.
    There was a guy here once that many listened too... Kevin something. He said BlackBerry had one shot to win back customers with BB10. He said they had to have the right hardware (Z10 wasn't it), they needed to have all the bugs worked out of the OS (PlayBook had been around for a few years so this wasn't a beta product), they needed Carrier Support (think they had that), they needed marketing (for the Z10 they did have that), and they needed at least the major apps on board (there they failed, even to his surprise as he was sure they had Instagram).
    04-20-16 04:00 PM

But it also doesn't help that the people at BlackBerry seem to have this idea that "real businesses people " only want a phone for email and phone calls only

Just because someone wears a suit or owns a business doesn't mean that when they have some down time that your not going to want to play your wife a few moves of words with friends
    Or get on Facebook to see what's going on.

Then they make an expensive android phone that's huge with the worst physical keyboard ever on a blackberry with horrible build quality and software issues right out of the box

There done in the phone arena until they get someone in that has a clue

Posted via CB10
    You don't really believe this, do you?
    04-20-16 06:52 PM
    You don't really believe this, do you?
    You know he does, and I'd wager that he's not the only one. It's absolutely unbelievable that some people think there's some conspiracy to keep BlackBerry down. The very idea is ludicrous. The truth is, BB is very capable of doing harm to itself.
    04-21-16 03:56 PM
    I kind of wondered this myself but I think it may just be too late. Plus, even the FBI couldn't get into an iPhone without outside help, so I think that may be convincing enough for most people that non-BB products are "secure" enough.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, but iPhone has such crappy build quality. Until they improve that, I won't be buying one any time soon.

Posted via CB10
    04-24-16 11:14 PM
    I was reading somewhere that BlackBerry inability to produce mid range phones or any phones at the MWC was a sign that they moving away from handset production. (Sounds bad)

But what if they want to attract governments and institutions to trust their software first, Priv being just a way of showing how good they are even on Android, only for BlackBerry to bounce back when the time is right time when security trust is fully established by the masses?...
    Should BB going to limit themselves or shrinking in production of handsets bearing the brand... then they should find an alternate route in keeping the OS, as well as the brand alive. Otherwise, who would be interested with BB software or even security solution anymore??? Apple and Google had been working on security platforms to lure enterprise attentions. Sooner or later, BB will be forgotten, and even their ultra high-priced midrange PRIV couldn't save the brand, not to mention whether BB is working on new device with better/competitive hardwares... Software companies are giving up their support to "fallen ill" O.S. like Windows as well as OS, others like Sailfish as well as Ubuntu or FireFox i believe are suffering the same fate...

What BB needs is support. Support by gaining wider exposure.
    And such exposure, without by sales of BB branded handsets with different hardware configurations.

Yes... some of you might have guessed it, OPEN SOURCE.
    Yeah... I know it will be very hard for an established company like BB to go OPEN. However, i'm suggesting an alternate release of BBOS that's totally not linked to BB secure server. This open source O.S. allows interested folks to install the OS to their phones made by different makers with different hardware configurations with generic drivers to get their phones workable. All other installation of .apk software should be from Googles Play depository, with no native apps from BlackBerry Apps Store.
    Such OS will have it's limit, but wouldn't disappoint users whom are trying out the OS for usability experience.

Then BB should consider to push out install-able, full package BBOS which is linkable to security server of BB to users of BB branded devices be it the PRIV or upcoming Android BB devices... by selling at an affordable price as if we had bought new versions of Windows OS in the past to install in our old, or updated devices. I believe the call for BBOS10 powered PRIV had been getting louder and louder ever since the release of the PRIV.
    shakingthrough likes this.
    04-25-16 03:36 AM
    Problem with going open source is that QNX is heavily used in other industries. To open BB10 you'd have to open QNX. My guess is there are hundreds of QNX customers out there that would be screwed, for a variety of legal reasons, if that happened.

Not to mention that people would inevitably find a few security holes somewhere in the code, and the press would have a field day with that.

 C L A S S I C
    04-25-16 09:39 AM
    Not to mention that people would inevitably find a few security holes somewhere in the code, and the press would have a field day with that
    In that case, BB would notice that there's a security hole and put out a fix for it as opposed to the hole festering in the code base.
    04-25-16 12:21 PM
    In that case, BB would notice that there's a security hole and put out a fix for it as opposed to the hole festering in the code base.
    True. This is a technical benefit of open source. Not necessarily a PR benefit.

However unlikely though, I would love to see BB10 open sourced.

 C L A S S I C
    04-25-16 12:24 PM
    Yeah, but iPhone has such crappy build quality. Until they improve that, I won't be buying one any time soon.

Posted via CB10
    Huh? Crappy build quality?
    04-25-16 07:39 PM
    There will always be pros and cons if BBOS is going public by OPEN SOURCE.
    But... to pull the plug from getting into the CONs part, the open source BBOS needs not, and must not be connectable to BB's Security Server. This is one way i can think of to avoid "devilish" user who're using the open sourced BBOS from causing havoc to the long earned reputation of being the best secure operating system platform over the years.

The bright side of releasing BBOS in open source, will most likely contribution of feedback and sharing of infos thru different BB fan forums, from tech geeks on how to improve user experience... and that's without compromising the security structure.
    shakingthrough likes this.
    04-25-16 08:40 PM
    Huh? Crappy build quality?
    Drop one to find out...? *eek* :-)

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    04-26-16 02:19 AM

Posted via CB10
    You can't be serious, the iPhone has the best build quality and service support in the industry and is what all devices are judged against.

As far as Blackberry devices are concerned, I always loved my z30. The only flaw was the volume buttons rattled but other then that, a rock solid device. I wish they would update the design with Android OS and a better screen and processor, I would be all in if the price was competitive.
    TgeekB likes this.
    04-26-16 05:15 AM
    Drop one to find out...? *eek* :-)

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    Phones aren't meant to be dropped.
    04-26-16 04:09 PM
    You can't be serious, the iPhone has the best build quality and service support in the industry and is what all devices are judged against.

As far as Blackberry devices are concerned, I always loved my z30. The only flaw was the volume buttons rattled but other then that, a rock solid device. I wish they would update the design with Android OS and a better screen and processor, I would be all in if the price was competitive.
    Apples screens lead in build quality? Is that why they just purchased 2 billion worth from Samsung for what will likely be the iPhone 8? I am using a iPhone 6s Plus (my dad threw my way for shines and giggles) do you really think it feels better constructed than a Z30? (To thin and slippery without a case in my opinion)
    BlackBerry to bounce back!-img_20160425_132427.jpg

The newest member....Cobalt Classic
    04-26-16 10:18 PM
    Phones aren't meant to be dropped.
    Unfortunately they do quite frequently. (Have you seen teenagers phones?)

04-26-16 10:20 PM
    Glass dropped from height onto a hard surface shatters? Who knew?!

:face-palm:
    TgeekB likes this.
    04-27-16 02:20 AM
    Hmmm, the iPhone SE. The question is whether Apple can compete with Android in the midrange category. TBH, I think Apple will just cannibalize it's own higher end sales. I would easily say that 50 percent of Apple users would gladly give up the iPhone6 for a cheaper option. The only rub is that the iPhone SE hardware is really quite poor for the price point so that might prevent bled from their higher end customers in the short term. New Mid range customers want value and at 400 dollars, the less than competitive hardware on the iPhone SE just isn't going to cut it against Android.

Apple has a strong foothold is Western markets but it is pretty much toast in emerging markets. Too expensive both at the high end and in the mid range. Limited ecosystem and let's face it everything in China is going Android. Maybe the SE might help but I doubt it. Just look at what one can get in China for 400 dollars. Timing and the right product is everything in business and well Apple missed the boat in the far East. That is pretty clear from the current earnings call.

Apple is now officially in a race, with all the other hardware makers, to the bottom. I have said it before and I will say it again, customers are going to benefit from this. The 400-500 dollar value phone is where the action will be and apple right now can't compete. Margins will have to drop again or the product will have to get better for the price is point.

Posted via CB10
    04-27-16 04:07 AM
    Unfortunately they do quite frequently. (Have you seen teenagers phones?)

They still aren't meant to be dropped.
    04-27-16 04:05 PM
    Apples screens lead in build quality? Is that why they just purchased 2 billion worth from Samsung for what will likely be the iPhone 8? I am using a iPhone 6s Plus (my dad threw my way for shines and giggles) do you really think it feels better constructed than a Z30? (To thin and slippery without a case in my opinion)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160425_132427.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	51.7 KB 
ID:	398294

Apple bought Samsung's OLED displays (which are gorgeous in my opinion, just saw a friend's SGS7 last night and it made me want one!), but that doesn't have anything to do with build quality. That would be the glass they use to cover the screen. Apple uses glass developed by Corning that's supposedly superior to Gorilla Glass used by other smartphone manufacturers.

I do agree that the iPhone 6s+ is very thin and needs a case, but I actually don't mind that too much. Based on drop and bend test videos the device is pretty dang sturdy. However, I do have an Apple leather case which is very sleek and adds a good amount of grip.
    04-27-16 06:32 PM
99 ... 234