I wonder if there will ever be a day when there isn't a discussion in here on how Blackberry will "come back," "bounce back," "strike back," whatever you want to call it. I honestly wish they would either announce they are getting out of the handset business or start acting like they want to be in it.
    If they can wring the last few cents out of people who actually think BB10 is alive, why not?
    03-30-16 02:45 PM
    If they can wring the last few cents out of people who actually think BB10 is alive, why not?
    Pretty much sums it up.
    03-30-16 04:46 PM
    Apple is kinda going "midrange" now with the iPhone SE 16GB... for USD $399... :-D

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    As I was browsing this thread again, Apple just sent me an email that's it's available in Australia now... lol
    :-)

03-30-16 05:05 PM
    I wonder if there will ever be a day when there isn't a discussion in here on how Blackberry will "come back," "bounce back," "strike back," whatever you want to call it. I honestly wish they would either announce they are getting out of the handset business or start acting like they want to be in it.
    I was reading all these with BlackBerry no longer producing handsets, my point was that maybe they are killing handsets for now only to bounce, strike, or come back with handsets later when they have convinced organizations, governments etc. With their software side. Hence all these acquisitions.
    But I guess even then it would be too late, if ever

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    03-30-16 05:09 PM
    AUD $679 for the little fella... :-|

03-30-16 05:15 PM
    I was reading all these with BlackBerry no longer producing handsets, my point was that maybe they are killing handsets for now only to bounce, strike, or come back with handsets later when they have convinced organizations, governments etc. With their software side. Hence all these acquisitions.
    But I guess even then it would be too late, if ever
    Ok.

Get out of hardware.
    Win big with software.
    Get back into hardware.

Can't see it.
    03-30-16 05:36 PM
    Because the POTUS uses a heavily modified BB that is in no way shape or form similar to what the public can purchase.
    Seems to work pretty well for Ford, Chevy, Dodge etc. in Nascar.

You have to market your product.

Posted via CB10
    bh7171 and Stewartj1 like this.
    03-30-16 05:56 PM
    Seems to work pretty well for Ford, Chevy, Dodge etc. in Nascar.

You have to market your product.

Posted via CB10
    Slightly different. You are talking about cars that people see and know they can't purchase to drive on the street. How would you suggest they market the President and his modified Blackberry?
    Emanuel_Bardanis likes this.
    03-30-16 06:23 PM
    Did Apple enthusiasts want Apple to give up when Microsoft had to come in and help them make payroll? (they were insolvent) BlackBerry would not be the first tech company to bounce back from poor management.

The newest member....Cobalt Classic
    03-30-16 06:55 PM
    Did Apple enthusiasts want Apple to give up when Microsoft had to come in and help them make payroll? (they were insolvent) BlackBerry would not be the first tech company to bounce back from poor management.

Sadly at time when BlackBerry was put up for sale, Microsoft definitely needed their marketshare to add into their own, and they didn't make any offer. Pretty telling about the moneypit that BB10 is thought of as.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-16 07:00 PM

I don't know, before my time. Probably not though. I'm not saying anyone should give up, but the constant "this is how Blackberry can come back threads" that have been going on for the last 5 years are a little much when Blackberry themselves doesn't seem to really want to come back in the way that people in here want them too. Granted I don't have to read them but I felt like commenting on it.
    03-30-16 07:02 PM
    I don't know, before my time. Probably not though. I'm not saying anyone should give up, but the constant "this is how Blackberry can come back threads" that have been going on for the last 5 years are a little much when Blackberry themselves doesn't seem to really want to come back in the way that people in here want them too. Granted I don't have to read them but I felt like commenting on it.
    http://www.wired.com/2009/08/dayintech_0806/

Here ya go. They were worse off than BlackBerry. BlackBerry at least had some cash. If Apple can do it so could BlackBerry. Turnarounds are not exclusive to brands.

toneytone likes this.
    03-30-16 07:24 PM
    Aug. 6, 1997: Apple Rescued ? by Microsoft | WIRED

Here ya go. They were worse off than BlackBerry. BlackBerry at least had some cash. If Apple can do it so could BlackBerry. Turnarounds are not exclusive to brands.

The turnaround that people in here want or the turnaround that the company wants? They don't appear to be the same thing in as far as BB10 goes. Also, it was a very different time back then when personal computers were in their infancy. I can see these conversations happening 3 or 4 years ago, but the constant mismanagement and lack of any interest in being a power player in the phone market again seems to not be a focal point for Blackberry as far as handsets go.
    JeepBB and MikeX74 like this.
    03-30-16 07:25 PM
    Aug. 6, 1997: Apple Rescued ? by Microsoft | WIRED

Apple had Jobs, a visionary and a hell of a salesman, and Ive, a world-class designer. And the tech world was at a particular crossroads. I'm not sure the miraculous rebirth of Apple is an all-purpose example.
    DINGSTER1 and JeepBB like this.
    03-30-16 08:33 PM
    Apple is kinda going "midrange" now with the iPhone SE 16GB... for USD $399... :-D

No. Thats the price it should have had to begin with. Sales have slowed for them and I dont blame customers. Prices were too steep for this and many other phones including BB Priv.

03-30-16 10:09 PM
    Ok.

Get out of hardware.
    Win big with software.
    Get back into hardware.

Can't see it.
    I can. Smartphones in general have hit a plateau. Question who will be that next company to make a statement.

03-30-16 10:11 PM
    No, they'd be the second. Name another big tech company that was at the top of the game, fell to irrelevancy, and then came back to the top? Other than Apple, I don't think it's been done. Yet there are tens of thousands of companies that rose to the top, got arrogant, failed to keep up, and eventually disappeared. The odds of another Apple are very, very long.
    03-30-16 11:39 PM
    Sadly at time when BlackBerry was put up for sale, Microsoft definitely needed their marketshare to add into their own, and they didn't make any offer. Pretty telling about the moneypit that BB10 is thought of as.

Posted via CB10
    I disagree Microsoft did not purchase or explore BlackBerry because they spent 7 billion on Nokia. And was/is "all in" on Windows 10 and the process of "universal apps" across all devices. Great reads on the process, acquisitions and planning over on the Windows area of mobile nations.

03-31-16 01:01 AM
    No, they'd be the second. Name another big tech company that was at the top of the game, fell to irrelevancy, and then came back to the top? Other than Apple, I don't think it's been done. Yet there are tens of thousands of companies that rose to the top, got arrogant, failed to keep up, and eventually disappeared. The odds of another Apple are very, very long.
    What is Microsoft in the midst of?

03-31-16 01:03 AM
    They have produced quality devices Passport or the Priv both are technically top class . BBOS10 though on maintenance mode has lots of potential . Priv running the android is flawless and better than Galaxies . Blackberry will survive surely but handsets business survival depends upon the numbers which will be out in few moments .
    03-31-16 01:17 AM
    Yes, and you can argue that Apple was never really at the top before the Iphone. The Mac was never a dominant PC, nor was it first, like the iphone was the first of its kind.
    03-31-16 01:20 AM
    Yes, and you can argue that Apple was never really at the top before the Iphone. The Mac was never a dominant PC, nor was it first, like the iphone was the first of its kind.
    Perhaps you've never heard of the Apple II - the top-selling computer of its day. It was finally beaten by the IBM PC, which was released 2 years later but didn't overtake the Apple II for another year or two.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    03-31-16 01:45 AM
    Perhaps you've never heard of the Apple II - the top-selling computer of its day. It was finally beaten by the IBM PC, which was released 2 years later but didn't overtake the Apple II for another year or two.
    Or yes, I was there. I had a ZX Spectrum and wrote a program in Pascal in 1984 to solve Shrodinger's and Poisson's equations self-consistently on ZX Spectrum to simulate a field effect transistor. All in 48 kBytes of RAM.

Apple ii had a real monitor, 64kBytes of RAM, real external keyboard and an external floppy drive, but it did not dominate the PC and home computer markets. It was too expensive.
    Apple has never had 40-50% of the PC market in any country at any time like the Iphone did and still does in Japan, Australia, UK and US.
    Nor was the Apple ii a revolutionary computer that was unlike any other computer on the market when it was introduced.
    Commodore 64 had pretty much the same power and external monitor, floppy disk drive and keyboard.
    bh7171 likes this.
    03-31-16 03:18 AM
    I think BlackBerry has made what looks like some very wise software/security acquisitions. But I also think it was done in desperation and not necessarily as part of a firm business plan.
    This... and I also get a feeling that these may have been made to please the press / traders, to keep interest in BlackBerry as a security 'brand'.

Personally I think that they've gained nothing from the purchase of Good other than the headache of how to integrate them and their MDM product into BES.
    03-31-16 08:49 AM
    I can. Smartphones in general have hit a plateau. Question who will be that next company to make a statement.

That's assuming there is another statement made. I mean look at something like computers. People still buy for the most part a Windows or Mac Computer. There has been companies try, and fail to become the next big thing in computer software. Hasn't happened. There is no evidence that there is going to be some massive shift or mobile OS that is going to pull people away from either Android or iOS. I'm not saying it won't happen but it's not something that is necessarily going to happen or has to happen.
    03-31-16 09:43 AM
99 1234