I was reading somewhere that BlackBerry inability to produce mid range phones or any phones at the MWC was a sign that they moving away from handset production. (Sounds bad)

But what if they want to attract governments and institutions to trust their software first, Priv being just a way of showing how good they are even on Android, only for BlackBerry to bounce back when the time is right time when security trust is fully established by the masses?

I mean the acquisition of watchdox secusmart good technology etc. All preparations for a good future software wise

I could be wrong thou!

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    HighFlight88 likes this.
    03-29-16 04:18 PM
    Apple is kinda going "midrange" now with the iPhone SE 16GB... for USD $399... :-D

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    03-29-16 04:59 PM
    When will the right time be? It was the right time 4 years ago and every year up until this point.
    gebco, jas1978, JeepBB and 2 others like this.
    03-29-16 05:35 PM
    I kind of wondered this myself but I think it may just be too late. Plus, even the FBI couldn't get into an iPhone without outside help, so I think that may be convincing enough for most people that non-BB products are "secure" enough.

Posted via CB10
    03-29-16 06:42 PM
    The apple case is interesting. It clearly demonstrates the difference between security and privacy. The apple case shows that privacy can be quite robust and offer significant protection. The question now is who needs security over privacy. For the masses, properly utilized privacy protocols are quite adequate. Lock box type security is probably needed only by government agencies.

BlackBerry will need to bring this security to the masses on Android, on devices that are as entertaining and compelling as Samsung and the other leasing android phones combined with bb's legendary productivity capabilities to become relevant again.

Posted via CB10
    TgeekB, MehdiQ and Eumaeus like this.
    03-29-16 08:45 PM
    The apple case is interesting. It clearly demonstrates the difference between security and privacy. The apple case shows that privacy can be quite robust and offer significant protection. The question now is who needs security over privacy. For the masses, properly utilized privacy protocols are quite adequate. Lock box type security is probably needed only by government agencies.

BlackBerry will need to bring this security to the masses on Android, on devices that are as entertaining and compelling as Samsung and the other leasing android phones combined with bb's legendary productivity capabilities to become relevant again.

Posted via CB10
    The problem is that with android Priv there is no privacy. Google knows a lot more about you than the government does and it has a lot more compute, search and surveillance power, uncontrolled, to harm you and control you in many more ways than the government does or can.
    Eumaeus and BallRockReaper like this.
    03-29-16 09:08 PM
    Most of the People that bought and Android Device dont care about security, just want nice Apps, Social Apps, Good camera to make selfies and share photos and play candy crush.

For that reason is that still today the POTUS use a blackberry and not and Android device. And most of the important people around the World use BlackBerry.

What better publicity that the POTUS use your device and you dont take advantage of that to make good publicity.

Posted via CB10
    03-29-16 09:19 PM
    A surface pro is the new Ipad Air christmas gift to grandma or the kids. Its not ipads for everone anymore from opera. What does a $700 iphone do? I would rather buy a cheaper phone and spend the extra 1 200 on a big media machine like something from Microsoft at this point.
    Last edited by Zeratul57; 03-29-16 at 09:38 PM.
    03-29-16 09:24 PM
    Most of the People that bought and Android Device dont care about security, just want nice Apps, Social Apps, Good camera to make selfies and share photos and play candy crush.

For that reason is that still today the POTUS use a blackberry and not and Android device. And most of the important people around the World use BlackBerry.

What better publicity that the POTUS use your device and you dont take advantage of that to make good publicity.

Posted via CB10
    Like someone said the kind of device you use has something to do with the kind of money you can earn. I personally agree with that while some will say- hey your stupid lol
    03-29-16 09:40 PM

Posted via CB10
    Because the POTUS uses a heavily modified BB that is in no way shape or form similar to what the public can purchase.
    RoseBud68, JeepBB, TgeekB and 3 others like this.
    03-29-16 09:48 PM
    Because the POTUS uses a heavily modified BB that is in no way shape or form similar to what the public can purchase.
    True, but it is a BlackBerry modified device, not apple modified device and not an android modified device which should tell you that there is no hope of securing apple or android devices.
    Last edited by sorinv; 03-30-16 at 04:18 AM.
    jas1978 likes this.
    03-30-16 12:11 AM
    True, but it is a BlackBerry modified device, not apple modified device and not an android modified device which should tell you that there is no hope of securing apple or android devices.
    True, but it also tells me that a Blackberry sold by itself without these HEAVY modifications isn't secure in and of itself.
    JeepBB, Elephant_Canyon and TGR1 like this.
    03-30-16 04:59 AM
    True, but it also tells me that a Blackberry sold by itself without these HEAVY modifications isn't secure in and of itself.
    And the BlackBerry was not the choice of Secret Service. They are actually testing Samsung phones now. And some government entities have dropped BlackBerry phones. I wonder how much longer BlackBerry has with governments.

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-30-16 06:20 AM
    Yes, apparently.
    03-30-16 06:27 AM
    I guess it's already late, even if they try to bounce back

03-30-16 07:12 AM
    I was reading somewhere that BlackBerry inability to produce mid range phones or any phones at the MWC was a sign that they moving away from handset production. (Sounds bad)

But what if they want to attract governments and institutions to trust their software first, Priv being just a way of showing how good they are even on Android, only for BlackBerry to bounce back when the time is right time when security trust is fully established by the masses?

I mean the acquisition of watchdox secusmart good technology etc. All preparations for a good future software wise

I could be wrong thou!

I think BlackBerry has made what looks like some very wise software/security acquisitions. But I also think it was done in desperation and not necessarily as part of a firm business plan.

BlackBerry's "history" with acquisitions hasn't been all that great when it comes to making use of those acquisitions. For every success like QNX, there are the TAT, Tungle.me, NewBay, Scroon, Scoreloops....

One company they bought... Movirtu, there was a lot of speculation that BlackBerry would soon offer phones that could use multiple virtual SIMs. Something that users in developing markets really want. Two years and nothing has come of that acquisition.

So, to be honest... I'm not sure if BlackBerry is becoming the IBM of mobile software. Or if it's staging - as in when a homeowner tires to make the house he hopes to sell look better than it really is. Because as great as these companies sound and the way they would seem to "fit"... they were still small companies... some might not have been even profitable at that time (still startups). Much less capable of bringing in billions in revenues.
    03-30-16 09:03 AM
    I think BlackBerry has made what looks like some very wise software/security acquisitions. But I also think it was done in desperation and not necessarily as part of a firm business plan.

BlackBerry's "history" with acquisitions hasn't been all that great when it comes to making use of those acquisitions. For every success like QNX, there are the TAT, Tungle.me, NewBay, Scroon, Scoreloops....

One company they bought... Movirtu, there was a lot of speculation that BlackBerry would soon offer phones that could use multiple virtual SIMs. Something that users in developing markets really want. Two years and nothing has come of that acquisition.

So, to be honest... I'm not sure if BlackBerry is becoming the IBM of mobile software. Or if it's staging - as in when a homeowner tires to make the house he hopes to sell look better than it really is. Because as great as these companies sound and the way they would seem to "fit"... they were still small companies... some might not have been even profitable at that time (still startups). Much less capable of bringing in billions in revenues.
    They sure haven't proved anything yet, but the landscape is constantly changing. If they fail at this also I'm not sure what the next move is.
    03-30-16 10:46 AM
    They sure haven't proved anything yet, but the landscape is constantly changing. If they fail at this also I'm not sure what the next move is.
    As is.... cut spending to match the falling revenues, at some point it will stabilize. Be the $500 Million a quarter or $300 Million a quarter.
    03-30-16 11:15 AM
    Apple is kinda going "midrange" now with the iPhone SE 16GB... for USD $399... :-D

Isn't the SE considered the "low range" device by Apple now?
    03-30-16 11:43 AM
    Well, if you were an IT responsible in a large company, be it govt or not, would you trust BlackBerry in the current state?

Would you procure thousands of phones and spend the money on expensive BlackBerry infrastructure and licenses? Would you pay additional monthly BlackBerry fees to your company carrier for "BlackBerry business services"?

Decisions like that go through management boards and procurement boards. It's not like you just do it. How do you defend such a plan? What's your argument? Only security?
    I would ask you what you want to do if BlackBerry decides to cease BB10 development? How do we secure ongoing support etc?

In short, there are many many alternatives which are secure enough for 99% of businesses, so why would you go for BlackBerry?

Posted via CB10
    undone, JeepBB and Jerry A like this.
    03-30-16 12:28 PM
    Yeah -- I remember getting a lot of survey questions about multiple SIM devices, which I thought would be innovative and exciting. BBRY acquires Movirtu, and... >crickets<

Then again, there were a LOT of things about BlackBerry 10 I thought were innovative and exciting; but it's hard to get the attention of people who just wanna update their Facebook status, especially with such anemic marketing.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    Stewartj1 likes this.
    03-30-16 01:50 PM
    Was watching cnn after the Brussels attack an one of the reporters says to one of the FBI persons "I see you busy typing away on your BlackBerry " just wanted to share that.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-16 01:57 PM
    I guess it would be just hard to defend this, even if BlackBerry services were the ultimate security options, I think they have hurt the trust so much

Stewartj1 likes this.
    03-30-16 02:00 PM

Isn't the pricing of all the current BlackBerry 10 phones "midrange?" the only similarly priced Android "flagship" is the PRIV.

The newest member....Cobalt Classic
    03-30-16 02:24 PM
    I wonder if there will ever be a day when there isn't a discussion in here on how Blackberry will "come back," "bounce back," "strike back," whatever you want to call it. I honestly wish they would either announce they are getting out of the handset business or start acting like they want to be in it.
    03-30-16 02:29 PM
99 123 ...