Probably a weird question, but I'm curious.

Can I enable mass storage mode on my phone, install a boot loader (for, say a Linux install), plug it into my computer, boot from USB from BIOS, and install said operating system?
    11-01-10 06:59 PM
    As long as mass media is enabled i don't see why you wouldn't be able to. just set the BIOS to USB as #1, and make sure the Liux image is the only thing on the SD card.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-01-10 07:08 PM
    Actually that is a pretty damn good question. Almost makes me want to try it, but would the computer actually try booting off the device? That would make some IT work a lot easier.

I might take a spare SD card and give it a try. (not any time soon!)
    11-01-10 07:18 PM
    I'll post back if I manage to get it working. So far not having the greatest luck, but I think the computer is at least recognizing the phone as a booting device. In fact, I think it even started the boot loader, but there might be a problem with my ISO install. Still trying a few things.
    11-01-10 07:20 PM
    Actually that is a pretty damn good question. Almost makes me want to try it, but would the computer actually try booting off the device? That would make some IT work a lot easier.

I might take a spare SD card and give it a try. (not any time soon!)
    If the computers BIOS is set to boot from removable devices, it should be able to. It's the same as booting from a USB drive.
    11-01-10 07:23 PM
    Yes it can. I was working on a machine at work once, couldnt figure out why it wouldnt boot. Turned out his BB was connected.
    11-01-10 07:26 PM
    No joy. It was worth a shot.
    11-01-10 07:42 PM
    What linix were you trying?
    11-01-10 08:35 PM
    No joy. It was worth a shot.
    Try using Unetbootin if you didn't try already. I have a bootable installer on my 16gig card, plus using it normally for pictures.
    11-01-10 08:38 PM
    I think the issue is with the BIOS of my computer. I'm pretty sure it's not detecting the device as a bootable drive. I'm trying to install it another way through a flash card + reader. This is probably even less likely to work, but why not.
    11-01-10 09:01 PM
    Heh, that works. I wish the flash card was bigger (4GB'ish) so I could install windows.
    11-01-10 09:04 PM
    Heh, that works. I wish the flash card was bigger (4GB'ish) so I could install windows.
    Glad it's working I installed 'nix via my BlackBerry on my netbook (Toshiba NB305) that way. Yet it won't work on my HP dv7. Doesn't even see it at BIOS.
    11-01-10 09:17 PM
    This is a great read and test!

I'm looking forward to maybe a How To or STICKY on this type of stuff!

11-01-10 10:12 PM
    I already knew about this way before I had a blackberry and I did do it with my coby 4GB mp4/radio. **** yeah! I got ubuntu thrown on a kiosk computer behind their rogers store staff backs lol

11-02-10 05:02 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD