Hi guys,

I really your help!
    It's getting really difficult for me trying to decide between the 9900 and 9810 so if anyone has had experice with both phones perhaps you could lear some queries I have.

I love the 9900 form factor more than the 9810. Although I'd rather have a slider phone which works better and has a better battery life.

I also like the 9900's keyboard an awful lot more. It really is just a few things preventing me from deciding between the two:

- The 9900 seems worse (although not as bad as it was) compared to the 9810 when it comes to the lag/overall performance and battery life.

- The 9810's slider, battery life and call quality. I have seen and heard mixed reports about the quality of the 9810 slider, the slider just feels as though it will break/snap if you apply any pressure to the top of it (where the speaker is that you put your ear to when making or receiving a call) when the slider mechanism is open (Exposing the keypad). Also the battery life although it appears to be better than the 9900 seems to have it's issues too. Also the call quality seems to be quite poor with people experiencing poor qulity calls (sent and received) through the loudspeaker and the earpiece.

Just to let you all know, I've been into the nearest phone retailer and tried both phones (9900 & 9810) I just end up undecided with both phones. Also they have both been laggy whenever I've tried them out in store, I expect that this is due to other people using them and messing around with them.

I would be grateful to anyone who has used both of the phones if they could give me their views of the issues I've mentioned and help me to decide on which handset I would be better off getting.

P.s I am considering getting either phone within the next 2 days so I'd really appreciate a quick response.

Thanks again to anyone who replies.
    06-08-12 01:07 PM
    I'd go with the 9900. With a good version of OS7.1 the battery issues are not that significant. And when it comes to call quality and keyboard I've found the 9900's to be superior.

The only reason I'd go with the 9810 is for the Auto focus camera and the increase screen real estate. You're giving up NFC though and the best BB keyboard period.
    JR A and shemaree09 like this.
    06-08-12 01:18 PM
    Just got a 9900, and so far I like the feel and responsiveness. I don't see any more lag than my 9810, and the keyboard is bigger and feels softer. The smaller screen is a downside, but being a touch screen makes navigation much easier than using the trackpad. The bigger keyboard is much easier to type on for me.

So far I love both...I got the 9900 to try it out. Also, since I hate typing on a screen, I was always using the slider, which worked fine, but in messaging conversations, it was a bit of a pain to open/close/open/close....etc...

Battery life is supposed to be better on the 9900 due to the smaller screen, etc, but we will see. My 9810 would usually get me through the day without issues with normal business use...emails, messages, fb....lol

I'll stay with the 9900 for now and watch the performance. I had a Bold 9700 prior to my Torch, and I really like it, so there's no reason I shouldn't like this one.

Good luck...either way, with an OS7 device, I don't think you can go wrong.
    06-08-12 01:31 PM
    I had the 9800 and upgraded to the 9810...

I never have/had issues with the sliding mechanism

Call quality is very good. I would never say it's 'poor'
    06-08-12 01:42 PM
    Thanks to everyone who has replied you are all really helpful.

The only problem is that I can get the 9810 for about �330 but the 9900 will cost �450 so is it really worth paying so much more for?

The only reason I want to get either phone off contract is because BB10 is coming soon hopefully so I don't want to be stuck with a BB7 handset for 18 months or longer.

Also other than NFC and the amazing keyboard on the 9900 and the on-screen dial pad along with the AF camera on the 9810. is there anything else that either phone has over the other??
    06-08-12 03:58 PM
    What will you use the phone for...which device does that the best for you

The Bold is iconic BlackBerry

I upgraded from the 9800 to the 9810. IMO, the 9810 is better for web browsing (H+ network...the UK doesn't have 4G networks yet right?); I do a lot of web browsing and I have movies on my phone.
    Last edited by anthogag; 06-08-12 at 05:03 PM.
    06-08-12 04:56 PM
    I would definitely go for 9900... Gotta love that keyboard, right?

I don't think the 9900 will lag that much compared to 9810...
    06-08-12 05:16 PM
    I would go bold. I have both; the soft/hard keyboard on the torch leaves a lot to be desired imo.
    06-08-12 05:30 PM
    Thanks to everyone who has replied you are all really helpful.

The only problem is that I can get the 9810 for about �330 but the 9900 will cost �450 so is it really worth paying so much more for?

The only reason I want to get either phone off contract is because BB10 is coming soon hopefully so I don't want to be stuck with a BB7 handset for 18 months or longer.

Also other than NFC and the amazing keyboard on the 9900 and the on-screen dial pad along with the AF camera on the 9810. is there anything else that either phone has over the other??
    I just went from the iPhone 4 (which I lost... ) to the Torch 9810 and I'm really happy with the Torch. It's proving to be a very solid phone with great reception and reliability. The slide out display reveals a hardware keyboard which I use from time to time. The graphics are awesome on it too. I think you'll be really happy with either phone but I love the Torch!
    06-08-12 07:18 PM
    I have a 9810 and love it. Had a Curve 8900 before, loved it too but the screen was tiny in comparison.

I don't regret the Torch at all. It is fast and large screen. If I want soft or hard keyboard (slider) I have both options.

The phone is tough. Wife has 9800 and I have 9810 which physically same design/casing but different internals. We've dropped it a few times, no issues. We have a rubbery/plastic case, cost a cheap $10 at those mall kiosks.

Only drawback is maybe it feels a bit thick/bulky. May not be as "sexy" but the 9810 does the job and with a large screen.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app
    06-08-12 07:47 PM
    Bold for sure, that is if you get a spare battery or two, because it runs out fast. The Keyboard, Display, build quality are one of the best in a BB phone so far, and I am not mincing my words.
    06-08-12 08:45 PM
    go with the 9900 the hardware (besides the camera i guess) is so much better than the torch and with 7.1 the battery and all other main issues, for the most part, have been fixed

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    06-08-12 09:20 PM
    I use the 9900 and my wife uses the 9810. Everything is the same except for 3 things. 9900 has a better keyboard and nfc. 9810 has a better camera.

9900 feels to me better built and less plasticky than the 9800.

Between the kb and camera the rest is personal preference.
    06-09-12 03:36 AM
    I did own a Torch 9800 as my last phone and I liked the build, having the touch screen on a 3.2'' screen and the slider keyboard. My heart was set on the 9810 Torch when I renewed my contract, but right before, someone let me use their Bold 9900 just to play around with it for a few minutes... I was sold on the Bold 9900.

The Bold 9900 keyboard is simply the best keyboard I have ever used on any mobile device. Its thin and elegant, compact, its screen at 2.8'' is small but bc of how good the display is, it doesn't bother me, luv the screen.

I am sure the difference in speed in browsing or call quality are not even noticeable since they both run BB7. But to be fair I didn't use the 9810.

All I can say is I am extremely happy with my Bold 9900, it converted a former 9800 user that had his heart set on the 9810... it is THAT good!
    06-09-12 08:12 AM
    if it was not for superior camera of 9810 I would probably go with 9900 however I take a lot of pictures and autofocus matters to me. also web browsing is superior on 9810 due to larger screen size

Sent from Tapatalk for Playbook
    06-09-12 08:42 AM
    Both are great devices. I have the 9810 and, although some say that battery life has improved on the 9900, my 9810 battery life is phenomenal. With battery saving mode on I get something like 1.75% drain per hour. Just something to think about.

Also, while some rightly claim the 9900 keyboard is the best there is, that does not mean the 9810 keyboard is sub par. I have grown used to it and type with minimal errors.

Whichever you choose, you will be satisfied until the BB10 phones arrive. Good luck!
    06-09-12 08:46 AM
    Thanks again to everyone who has replied.

Those of you who have got the 9810, these questions are for you.

I have read reports that the slider mechanism can become 'loose' and have a fair amount of 'play' over a short period of time and as a result the on-screen keyboard can become a pain to use, Have any of you experienced the same thing??

Also, I spoke to a tech guy who owns the 9810 and he said that if he uses his phone more the battery actually lasts longer than when it's idle. As before, have those of you who have the 9810 experienced the same thing?

And the last thing, how long will the battery last for on the 9810 on a single charge with the new OS 7.1 and battery saver mode always on??
    06-09-12 02:58 PM
    If there is any play in my slider, it is so minimal I can't recognize it.

As far as battery life, on 7.1 with battery saver on I easily get through the day. If it is idle a long time, it hardly uses battery at all. For instance, at work (don't use my device at work as much as on days off) after a 12 hour shift, I will be down to 80%.
    06-09-12 05:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD