Hi, I'm new to this crackberry thing? so please be nice as I know I may be asking stupid questions..

I have a blackberry bold 9000 and the other day on my way home from work my drink must have spilt in my bag and my phone was damaged (during the rain aswell) I went to get my phone within 5 mins of putting it in it and then obviously started freaking out..

I tried wiping off any of the water that was on the outside and tried running home to take it apart and see the damage.. there was quite a bit of water inside and the keyboard was typing double letters so I had to look up how to take it apart (which obv took time) and my dad is better with fixing things so I asked him to take it apart for me.. Stupidly because of freaking out about whether or not it would work again, I didn't think to look at what to do when the phone gets wet and just assumed taking it apart and removing the water was the main priority and would determine what permanent damage had been done.. so obviously kept putting the battery back in..

After, all the buttons work but the trackball won't scroll down (which I havn't found one other person reporting from water damage?) It scrolls in every other direction fine even up but just won't show it's going down on the screen.. I tried drying it for about 10 mins with a hair dryer whilst scrolling around the trackball and still nothing..

I just want to know if its likely the water has short circuited it and if there is any salvaging it? even with a cost? Can I send it to blackberry to be repaired or anything?

I've had the phone for less than a year and I love it so I really don't want to have to buy a new one..

I realise this is a really long message lol sorry.. I'm done now, please help
    08-30-10 04:37 PM
    Putting the battery back in before the device had dried out all the way (4 - 5 days) likely made the damage permanent.

But read this.

And this.

08-30-10 04:52 PM
    Like Motorcycle Mama said, give it plenty of time to dry! You could check to see if the warranty is still in effect, but it may not cover water damage. Check with your service provider.

After that, if it is out of warranty and if the only thing that doesn't work is the trackball, you could try replacing the trackball yourself. I just replaced my trackball in my Bold. I ordered my trackball from cnn.cn ($20 US including the T5 screwdriver and case opening tools). It works perfectly now.

There are a few nice videos on YouTube showing how to take the Bold apart. Just remember, if you do this, it WILL void your warranty.

Good luck,

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-30-10 08:46 PM
    well we had to take it apart so I know for sure that the warranty is void and the water indicator sticker is definitely red lol.. I'm not sure if its the trackball though or the motherboard? because I know that the trackball does have problems and sometimes doesnt work but it feels funny when its like that (if anyone gets what I mean) but atm it doesnt feel like it, it feels normal but just isnt scrolling down

Can I send it in to blackberry to pay to get it fixed? Or would a phone repair shop be able to fix that kind of thing?
    08-31-10 04:55 PM
    Neither RIM nor your phone service carrier will likely touch it.

You could contact a phone repair shop if there is one in your area and see what they think. But water damage is usually fatal and not repairable.

Time to look a replacement most likely.
    08-31-10 05:57 PM