Hi All,

I have previously posted my issue here with no particularly helpful answers, so I am hoping that someone can help now.

I have been investigating why my Blackberry Pearl 8110 will not connect via Bluetooth for the last couple of months, and I think that I may have found the reason why, or at least a sympton of the reason why...

Firstly I'll give my specs:

PHONE: BB 8110
    CARRIER: Vodafone UK

PC: Windows 7 Professional 32 bit
    BB Desktop Software: 5.01

The issue that I have been having is that I can pair my BB with my PC - it asks for the numeric code etc., but once paired BB Device Manager or Desktop Manager will not recognise the phone to allow for sync'ing (nothing happens when I click the 'configure bluetooth' button in Desktop Manager, and it just doesn't find the phone in Device Manager).

I think, however, that I have found evidence of the issue, though for the life of me I cannot work out what it is or how to fix it.

Basically, when the phone is paired using Control Panel, it pairs with just 'Standard Modem over Bluetooth Link' as the only Hardware Function. When the phone is connected via USB (which works just fine) it has all sorts of other things like 'Bluetooth Peripheral Device' and 'Mass Storage Device' etc. For some reason it is not 'getting' the rest of the functions of the Phone when paired via Bluetooth.

I really, really, really hope that someone can use this to find a solution before I am tempted away to the iPhone!!!!!

Thanks in advance,
    Neil

To give you my specsBasically, the phone, when connected via
    02-25-10 12:04 PM
    Have you tried bluetooth sync with a non windows 7 pc? I can pair mine with my server box, linux and pre windows 7 but NOT with Windows 7. Im waiting on a driver for the bluetooth module on the pc. When connected via USB I dont see a point in having a bluetooth connection at all.
    02-25-10 12:25 PM
    Unfortunately my only PCs run Windows 7. Also, Bluetooth is really important for me with syncing, as I am in and out of the office a lot and without BES I need BT to sync my contacts and calendar items without always having to get out cables etc.

The strange thing is that my previous Blackberry, a Pearl 8100, synced fine with Windows 7.
    02-26-10 03:31 AM
    Have you tried Microsoft's forums? Or maybe other Windows forums? It may be Win7 related, and there may be someone there that might know.
    02-26-10 07:15 AM
    Are you on BIS or on BES?

If you are on BES, check with your system admin if bluetooth data & sync is enabled on the server settings.
    02-26-10 07:16 AM
    Hi,

I have tried Windows 7 forums, but so far no luck, and it is telling that I was able to get my 8100 to sync correctly.

The BES thing is interesting - the phone used to be on BES (not mine), but I am on BIS. I have wiped the phone and replaced with a blank policy.bin so that it does not come up with an IT policy, which I am told should get rid of any lingering issues that may have stopped it BT syncing.
    02-26-10 07:22 AM
    I had a similar issue with my laptop and bluetooth. What I finally found is that the Desktop manager only supports the Windows Bluetooth stack. If you use any other stack that is the symptom I got. I have a Dell laptop and it installs a Toshiba Bluetooth stack by default. I finally was able to remove the Toshiba software and have Windows discover the bluetooth module and everything then worked.

Good luck.
    02-26-10 08:03 AM
    I had a similar issue with my laptop and bluetooth. What I finally found is that the Desktop manager only supports the Windows Bluetooth stack. If you use any other stack that is the symptom I got. I have a Dell laptop and it installs a Toshiba Bluetooth stack by default. I finally was able to remove the Toshiba software and have Windows discover the bluetooth module and everything then worked.

Good luck.
    A little update - in the hope that it was a phone issue I have bought a Bold 9700 and whilst everything syncs as it should via USB, the issue with not recognising the Blackberry through Bluetooth is exactly the same. This leads me to assume that it is definately a Windows 7 issue, but I am a little stuck on the question of which stack / drivers windows is using.

All the guides tell me to look at the Bluetooth stack I am using, but the only two things that show up in my Device Manager under Bluetooth are:

1. Generic Bluetooth Adapter
    2. Microsoft Bluetooth Enumerator

Does anyone know which one I should be looking to check for drivers (though they both seem to be windows-signed)?

Many thanks in advance.

Neil
    03-01-10 04:43 AM
    Well under Vista32, I have a CSR driver from MicroS and also the Enumerator.

I do get a message on bootup that something is amiss with my bluetooth but it works. I did have initial problems and went out on a search like you. I had to UNinstall the drivers that came with my kensington micro adapter.

It still remains a mystery but it works.
    03-01-10 08:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD