View Poll Results: Would you use ___________ if it was compatible with your Android BlackBerry?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • I would use Blend and Link

8 61.54%
  • I would use Blend only

2 15.38%
  • I would use Link only

1 7.69%
  • I wouldn't use either

0 0%
  • What is Blend and Link?

2 15.38%
    How many of us would use BlackBerry Blend and/or Link if it was available/compatible with your Android BlackBerry?

I'm seriously considering getting the DTEK60 as soon as it's released (therefore moving from BB10 OS to Android) since my Z10 is retired as a travel phone, my Z30 (my daily phone) is looking a little weathered, and I gave my dad my Passport since his Q30 was looking a little rough. But after taking the time to research and even ask on the actual BlackBerry support forum HERE , it appears BlackBerry has killed off Blend.

WHY?

My opinion on the whole "BlackBerry is now a Software company" situation is that there is currently so much opportunity for BlackBerry to use the existing platforms they have created to actually make them stand out from the crowd.

BlackBerry has 2 key programs that no other company has, and countless users would want!

- Blend: Invaluable time saving software for anyone that is sitting in front of a computer. Excellent for productivity and just in general usage by anyone in front of a computer (whether a CEO, teacher, receptionist, lawyer, student, etc.). Instead of getting distracted and having to pick up my phone to reply to a BBM, text, or any one of my 5 email boxes, I can just do it without taking my eyes off the screen...and I can see the pop-up notifications in the corner for incoming messages without losing track of what I am doing. I can attach files from my desktop and send them directly as a BBM, or pictures to a text, etc. This is such a unique platform that it should evolve and be spread to your new Android venture (and since BB is now IOS friendly, adapt it to that as well... Think of the potential!), not thrown away. Make it WiFi only, or add support for Bluetooth connectivity as well.... Down the road, this software could be licensed to automotive manufacturers as well since massive touch screens are coming (example: Tesla).

- Link: Excellent platform for being able to sync photo's, documents, music, etc. without having to manually copy and paste to the computer (and have it figure out what files are already in the folders). Great time saving software that I can honestly say is much better than iTunes. Apple has iTunes, Blackberry has Link for BB10....but should have it for Android as well to make BlackBerry stand out.

BlackBerry, if any one who can make this happen is reading this, these are two pieces of software that make you stand out from the crowd. Offer them in Android versions, and supply them with your Android devices. Authenticate the software on install with your BB Android devices (PRIV, DTEK, etc.) via Blackberry ID or something similar online, or whatever means you choose. Sell the software to other Android users, just like you are selling the HUB+ app. You are making a valiant effort to pitch BlackBerry Android devices as "Secure", Link adds to that pitch as it is a convenient solution that avoids having to use "the Cloud" and allows us to be in control of how we transfer and where we store our content... Blend offers seamless, convenient communication integration for the reasons I mentioned above, and allows for secure communication to be accessed via a desktop/laptop.

Capitalize on something unique that you guys created...Don't just throw it away.

Look at the revenue potential, coupled with free marketing / advertising through HUB+ or BBM notifications, in-app purchase through HUB+, etc... Write about these apps in your Google Play descriptions, and offer them as add-ons... Even just Blend for now...

What do you guys think?
    10-15-16 03:59 AM
    I would use Link if it was available, but it won't be since that function is provided by Google on Android.
    10-15-16 12:38 PM
    Maybe/no, respectively.

I've learned to avoid desktop management/backup apps, probably due to having to load leaked autoloaders on a regular basis (those were the days...); the only time I had to plug into a computer was to manage my files through Windows Explorer, which I can still do with Android. I have a SD card and cloud storage (Dropbox/Google/MEGA) for backup, although I do note some tinfoil hattery about the latter around these parts.

Blend is nice to have, although it won't be coming from BlackBerry anytime soon.
    10-15-16 12:54 PM
    I guess one of my reasons for my post is that BlackBerry says they are moving to be a software company, and since they have existing software that sets them apart from all of the other Android slab manufacturers, why not capitalize on this. Instead, at the moment it seems they are throwing away opportunity to distinguish themselves as a company that has leading edge solutions.

Look at apple for example. They give users a choice/force them to use iTunes and iCloud to manage their device. As the iPhone evolves every year, so does iTunes. That is essentially their version of a dumbed down BlackBerry Link, but with BlackBerry World built-in (the first BB World that included Music, Videos, as well as apps). Apple capitalizes on this software and infrastructure that also provides them with FREE advertising to every iPhone and iDevice user. I understand that BlackBerry (and every other Android OEM) are tied to Google Play so the whole vision of BlackBerry world is out the door (to a point anyways), but Link could offer a means of advertising/marketing for their software (as well as hardware products). And down the road, BlackBerry World could be revised for Android...like Amazon. Look at the revenue Amazon generates from its app store HERE. Old figures, but with steady growth annually, BlackBerry could use this capital to become the halo brand that all other manufacturers look up to once again.

Blend, well that is just a no-brainer for me. I use it daily. At the office, I'm connected. At home, I'm connected whether I am working from home, checking emails in the morning, or watching TV, movies, or just browsing the internet since my PC is also my media controller. My TV is only connected to my PC. My TV is always on when I am awake at home, whether being used for the aforementioned or just as a static picture frame while providing background music over dinner when company is over. I can tell you, all of my non-BlackBerry friends comment on how they wish they had Blend after they see the convenience it brings. I literally only pick up my phone at home when it rings for a call. Everything other communication is through Blend.

Being in the consumer electronics A/V industry for years, and now working with builders and developers in the hospitality, retail, residential, commercial, and medical fields, I can tell you that everyone is integrating home automation into their projects. Some use Savant (apple based), Control4, Elan, Crestron, etc. but over 80% of the projects I work on are using these solutions and marketing them to the end client/user. With everything being integrated in your home, office, warehouse, automobile, etc. Blend is another platform Blackberry could build market share on. It is a complete communication integration solution. Add voice and video capabilities to Blend, and you have a software solution that could integrate with any home, business, etc.

BlackBerry, please don't drop the ball...
    10-15-16 01:43 PM
    Maybe/no, respectively.

I've learned to avoid desktop management/backup apps, probably due to having to load leaked autoloaders on a regular basis (those were the days...); the only time I had to plug into a computer was to manage my files through Windows Explorer, which I can still do with Android. I have a SD card and cloud storage (Dropbox/Google/MEGA) for backup, although I do note some tinfoil hattery about the latter around these parts.

Blend is nice to have, although it won't be coming from BlackBerry anytime soon.
    The decision to no use the cloud should be respected.
    Especially by a company that traditionally stands (stood?) for security and privacy...

_______

I too believe Blend to be an outstanding product they can sure build upon. Just make sure it actually authenticates with the BlackBerry hardware keys when connecting to their own hardware, ... or otherwise ensure licence compliance when making / releasing for other devices.... :-)

�   "BB10 dead?" - "Let's dance the Danse MacaBBRY! ... or is it..?" ;-D   �
    10-15-16 01:46 PM
    OP,

Most of what your asking for is found in Pushbullet on Android.

Everything from mirroring notifications on a computer screen, to replying to IM messages from the computer as well.

You can also set it up to have remote file access (it will send you files directly to your device from another) and the option for full end to end encryption is also there.

Nexus 6p 64gb
    Android 7.0 (PureNexus ROM)
    ElementalX Kernel
    10-16-16 02:45 PM
    I guess one of my reasons for my post is that BlackBerry says they are moving to be a software company, and since they have existing software that sets them apart from all of the other Android slab manufacturers, why not capitalize on this. Instead, at the moment it seems they are throwing away opportunity to distinguish themselves as a company that has leading edge solutions.
    BlackBerry, please don't drop the ball...
    Blackberry isn't moving to be a software company. It is moving to become a privately held venture capital firm that invests in other software companies to provide a passive income stream to a select few insiders.

That is the reality, and that is why you see them doing as poor a job with blackberry branded software as they did with hardware.

Posted via CB10
    Powdah and sorinv like this.
    10-17-16 01:51 PM
    How many of us would use BlackBerry Blend and/or Link if it was available/compatible with your Android BlackBerry?

I'm seriously considering getting the DTEK60 as soon as it's released (therefore moving from BB10 OS to Android) since my Z10 is retired as a travel phone, my Z30 (my daily phone) is looking a little weathered, and I gave my dad my Passport since his Q30 was looking a little rough. But after taking the time to research and even ask on the actual BlackBerry support forum HERE , it appears BlackBerry has killed off Blend.

WHY?

My opinion on the whole "BlackBerry is now a Software company" situation is that there is currently so much opportunity for BlackBerry to use the existing platforms they have created to actually make them stand out from the crowd.

BlackBerry has 2 key programs that no other company has, and countless users would want!

- Blend: Invaluable time saving software for anyone that is sitting in front of a computer. Excellent for productivity and just in general usage by anyone in front of a computer (whether a CEO, teacher, receptionist, lawyer, student, etc.). Instead of getting distracted and having to pick up my phone to reply to a BBM, text, or any one of my 5 email boxes, I can just do it without taking my eyes off the screen...and I can see the pop-up notifications in the corner for incoming messages without losing track of what I am doing. I can attach files from my desktop and send them directly as a BBM, or pictures to a text, etc. This is such a unique platform that it should evolve and be spread to your new Android venture (and since BB is now IOS friendly, adapt it to that as well... Think of the potential!), not thrown away. Make it WiFi only, or add support for Bluetooth connectivity as well.... Down the road, this software could be licensed to automotive manufacturers as well since massive touch screens are coming (example: Tesla).

- Link: Excellent platform for being able to sync photo's, documents, music, etc. without having to manually copy and paste to the computer (and have it figure out what files are already in the folders). Great time saving software that I can honestly say is much better than iTunes. Apple has iTunes, Blackberry has Link for BB10....but should have it for Android as well to make BlackBerry stand out.

BlackBerry, if any one who can make this happen is reading this, these are two pieces of software that make you stand out from the crowd. Offer them in Android versions, and supply them with your Android devices. Authenticate the software on install with your BB Android devices (PRIV, DTEK, etc.) via Blackberry ID or something similar online, or whatever means you choose. Sell the software to other Android users, just like you are selling the HUB+ app. You are making a valiant effort to pitch BlackBerry Android devices as "Secure", Link adds to that pitch as it is a convenient solution that avoids having to use "the Cloud" and allows us to be in control of how we transfer and where we store our content... Blend offers seamless, convenient communication integration for the reasons I mentioned above, and allows for secure communication to be accessed via a desktop/laptop.

Capitalize on something unique that you guys created...Don't just throw it away.

Look at the revenue potential, coupled with free marketing / advertising through HUB+ or BBM notifications, in-app purchase through HUB+, etc... Write about these apps in your Google Play descriptions, and offer them as add-ons... Even just Blend for now...

What do you guys think?
    You make some brilliant suggestions.

Problem is... chen doesn't give a rat's behind to BlackBerry's core competencies. He'd rather spend Prem's money buying anything else he can find to temporarily bolster his fantasy. And sadly Prem fancies himself as the Canadian Warren Buffet (which he is not) so he's too arrogant to halt the buying spree.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-17-16 02:41 PM
    So I have been in contact with my account rep from BlackBerry (in Florida apparently), and posed the question regarding Blend and Link working with Android. I explained my usage for Blend and Link, how it helps productivity, secure backup without the cloud, etc. The rep said they will contact management (and talk with their PSM) and ask the question (since they don't have access to the roadmap for products) and will get back to me.

That's the only update I have.

I looked into pushbullet, but AirDroid almost looks like a better solution. Either way, I'm not too crazy about using a 3rd party app that can remotely activate my camera, etc. Heck, it looks like Samsung has a mirroring app for Samsung devices (Blend alternative of sorts, but Samsung only). I really hope the BlackBerry rep comes back with some promising news. My DTEK60 purchase is kind of riding on this.
    CmdrStraker likes this.
    11-03-16 03:10 AM
    The decision to no use the cloud should be respected.
    Especially by a company that traditionally stands (stood?) for security and privacy...

I respect it, I even understand it but I'll note it's always one of the signs of a dying platform - WebOS forums were the same.
    11-03-16 03:15 AM
    So I have an answer. It's not the one I was hoping for...

"...Link and Blend are exclusive to BlackBerry 10 operating system. Currently no plans to support Android..."

I have replied back asking what is the proposed workaround / alternate software / app to mitigate the loss of a crucial feature. Awaiting a reply.
    11-04-16 01:25 PM
    Blend and Link were created to help sell more BB10 devices. Now that devices are done, and no one at BlackBerry seems to care all that much about selling devices anymore, you can be sure we will not see it. At this rate we will be lucky to see Android security updates post-February 2017.
    11-04-16 03:13 PM
    Blend and Link were created to help sell more BB10 devices. Now that devices are done, and no one at BlackBerry seems to care all that much about selling devices anymore, you can be sure we will not see it. At this rate we will be lucky to see Android security updates post-February 2017.
    Funny, Link would usually put people off of BB10.
    11-04-16 03:19 PM
    grow up pain? the initial link, blend are not the same as now, similar as BB10.
    11-04-16 03:29 PM
    BB10 did a great job falling flat on its face all on its own so (if true) I'm not sure that's saying much...lol
    11-04-16 04:04 PM
    OP baldy3577's word count is through the roof. Let's all try to make our point a little more abbreviated.

Posted via CB10
    11-04-16 05:31 PM

I looked into pushbullet, but AirDroid almost looks like a better solution. Either way, I'm not too crazy about using a 3rd party app that can remotely activate my camera, etc. Heck, it looks like Samsung has a mirroring app for Samsung devices (Blend alternative of sorts, but Samsung only). I really hope the BlackBerry rep comes back with some promising news. My DTEK60 purchase is kind of riding on this.
    If you're referring to Pushbullet with your camera comment, I just wanted to point out that Pushbullet doesn't even have a camera permission.
    11-04-16 08:55 PM
    Does Pushbullet support BBM? If not then, it's not as valuable as Blend is. It's quite mind boggling that a "software" company such as BlackBerry cannot even support their own true gem of an application. I know so many people using Android that would love to be able to respond to BBM msgs from their computer (like I do via Blend) but unfortunately can't because it's not available to non BlackBerry 10 devices.

Channel for Asian eye candy
    11-04-16 09:19 PM
    If you're referring to Pushbullet with your camera comment, I just wanted to point out that Pushbullet doesn't even have a camera permission.
    No, I was referring to Airdroid, among a few others.

It is disappointing that it doesn't appear that either will be supported. I can't imagine that it would be that difficult to port over to implement. Maybe crowd funding to get someone with talent and knowledge like cobalt, conite, or cbryant to build it would be an option.

Wishful thinking?

The funny thing is, is there is a slide/video on BlackBerry's site that shows Blend is part of a suite that can be purchased, and it touts that it is (or will be) supported cross platform (iOS, Android, and BlackBerry). I'll try to find it again. I remember it was linked (pun intended) in another post a few months back.
    00stryder likes this.
    11-05-16 01:34 AM
    Found the video...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_con...&v=25_N4uRmtf4

And a link to the blog article...

http://blogs.blackberry.com/2015/03/introducing-blackberry-experience/
    Last edited by baldy3577; 11-05-16 at 01:58 AM.
    11-05-16 01:41 AM
    Yeah that video created a lot of high expectations. The only concrete result so far is the Hub+ Suite. Not sure what else they'll bring. Perhaps they are awaiting how many users on non-BlackBerry Android devices will use or pay for it?

Posted via CB10
    11-05-16 02:00 AM
    Does Pushbullet support BBM? If not then, it's not as valuable as Blend is. It's quite mind boggling that a "software" company such as BlackBerry cannot even support their own true gem of an application. I know so many people using Android that would love to be able to respond to BBM msgs from their computer (like I do via Blend) but unfortunately can't because it's not available to non BlackBerry 10 devices.

Channel for Asian eye candy
    According to their blog, Pushbullet supports the few people still using BBM.

https://blog.pushbullet.com/2015/03/...et-on-android/
    Last edited by cribble2k; 11-05-16 at 02:52 AM.
    11-05-16 02:28 AM
    Posted via CB10
    11-21-16 05:08 PM