Although I loooove my blackberry, I don't really enjoy the fact that this tiny little device is capable of taking up so much of my time and attention. I'm considering turning it off for a specified period of time (couple days, a week, two weeks?), and seeing how things go without it.

This should work for me because whether I'm at school, work, or elsewhere, there will always be a way for someone to get in touch with me in case of emergency.

I know most of us are addicts and proud, but has anyone else ever thought about shutting your blackberry down for a little while?
    01-11-09 04:43 PM
    never once entered my thoughts
    01-11-09 04:44 PM
    Seriously I could never do that. I gotta give you mega-props if you do this. I can't even fathom this scenario. Good luck....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-11-09 04:47 PM
    Seriously I could never do that. I gotta give you mega-props if you do this. I can't even fathom this scenario. Good luck....

Ha! If I do it, I'll be sure to blog my thoughts.. you know, the ups and downs.. the drama.. cold shakes and mood swings.. It'll be epic.
    01-11-09 04:49 PM
    I've never thought about that. I don't think I could make it though that, plus my girlfriend would kill me lol. Props to you If you can though

01-11-09 04:50 PM
    I wouldn't last 10 minutes!

01-11-09 04:57 PM
    Ha HA I have thought about it, but the thought passed quickly
    01-11-09 04:59 PM
    Is your time that valuable that you feel you have to?

01-11-09 05:02 PM
    I wouldn't last 10 minutes!

I'm with you.

Over the course of a day I have to be really, really busy to not even touch my Berry for more than 10 minutes. It would be very difficult. Let alone giving it up that long.
    01-11-09 05:03 PM
    No. It's a tool that comes in handy for lots of things. Why would I want to turn it off? If it's taking too much of my time, I'll put it down or in its case and do something else.
    01-11-09 05:06 PM
    Is your time that valuable that you feel you have to?

Ha! My time has little value, I can assure you of that.

I suppose I just hate being tied down. This wouldn't be a new thing for me, though. A few months ago, I worried that I liked watching movies too much and then I gave away my tv/dvd player/movie collection. I found that after a couple of weeks, I really didn't miss any of it.

I think the only big difference with taking a break from the BB would be that it serves as a connection to friends and family who would otherwise not be able to easily reach me.

Hmmm... I wonder.

I'm really appreciating the feedback, btw.
    01-11-09 05:06 PM
    The first step is admitting you are powerless!
    01-11-09 05:08 PM
    My blackberry is rarely even off while I sleep hahah.
    01-11-09 05:08 PM
    My blackberry is rarely even off while I sleep hahah.
    I never have my radio off. Only when I know I really need to get some sleep is when I put it in silent mode. That's the furthest I go.
    01-11-09 05:11 PM
    Seems to me that you have an "all or nothing" personality. Either the item(s) completely own you, or you have to completely separate yourself from them. To me, it's just a matter of self-control/discipline. Just put it down and do something else if you're getting carried away with it, but there's no need to throw out the baby with the bath water.
    01-11-09 05:12 PM
    If you do it, definitely log your thoughts! I can understand that it takes up a lot of your time; I find myself reaching for my Curve every single time I have a spare moment! Would I be able to turn it off for a day.....much less 2 weeks???? I really don't think so. Just the thought makes me shudder!
    01-11-09 05:13 PM
    I would never be able to do that. Gots to have my bb on me to stay connected.

01-11-09 05:15 PM
    I know this doesn't have to do entirely with this thread but I think you made a pretty good title to this. It made me think I would be expecting a Blackberry data outage soon and apparently others might be clicking it thinking the same lol
    01-11-09 05:16 PM
    I know this doesn't have to do entirely with this thread but I think you made a pretty good title to this. It made me think I would be expecting a Blackberry data outage soon and apparently others might be clicking it thinking the same lol
    Ha, wow I didn't even think about that! No wonder it got 45 hits in 10 minutes. =p
    01-11-09 05:19 PM
    Mine has never been off nor will it start.
    01-11-09 05:20 PM
    Although I loooove my blackberry, I don't really enjoy the fact that this tiny little device is capable of taking up so much of my time and attention. I'm considering turning it off for a specified period of time (couple days, a week, two weeks?), and seeing how things go without it.

This should work for me because whether I'm at school, work, or elsewhere, there will always be a way for someone to get in touch with me in case of emergency.

I know most of us are addicts and proud, but has anyone else ever thought about shutting your blackberry down for a little while?
    That's like asking a crackhead if they ever thought about putting down the pipe for a few days...... Noone likes a quitter. GIMME MY FIX!!!!!

01-11-09 05:23 PM
    It will be veeery difficult for me to turn it off and leave it off. So much so that I'm pretty sure I'll have to leave it with a friend to make sure that I don't just pick it up and turn it on at any given time.

As of right now, my blackberry NEVER leaves my side. I check it all the time and I'm even addicted to the BrickBreaker game that came with it. If I should happen to wake up in the middle of the night, I will check my phone for new messages before going back to sleep. I've got it baaad..
    01-11-09 05:25 PM
    You're crazy for doing this haha. No, I completely understand where you are coming from. I was forced into being without a blackberry for almost 2 weeks.. It was horrible
    01-11-09 05:47 PM
    I have my work phone forwarded, as well as IM and email. My phone provides the lifeline to my personal and business life. I don't even have a landline per se, between the Wi-Fi and data, I have no use for one.

My wife travels a lot and she has a Curve as well so we can PIN each other and IM through BBM, as well as call anytime. Without my phone, I would be out of contact with my entire world literally.

I do find it irritating to think about how much of my life has become dependent on one single piece of technology, but this is the world we live in. We adapt. If all technology stopped working tomorrow, I have learned to adapt rather quickly to the new envorinment, but until that happens I will continue to embrace what I have today and I will definately put it to good use.
    01-11-09 05:51 PM
    I remember when I wasn't getting any data services for 3 days a few months ago due to a bad sim card. It was a very difficult time for me not having data as I felt completely in the dark and I was freaking out. I guess it's the same feeling if you're withdrawing from any addiction.
    01-11-09 06:10 PM
73 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD