02-17-12 10:35 AM
41 12
tools
    As I struggled to install DM7 and read the threads noting that sync is poorer on DM7 than on DM6, it seemed I had seen this play before. To many the mention of Wordperfect might elicit a "huh?" but Wordperfect once ruled the enterprise in a way even Blackberry never achieved. Wordperfect even had the killer feature, "Reveal Codes," that cemented its users' loyalty in a way that even Blackberry's mastery of e-mail management has not developed in its users. All other wordprocessors, and especially Word, were as marginal products as other tablets are to the iPad.

Alas, Wordperfect was slow to adapt to the Windows world much as RIM has been to the consumer/apps/touchscreen universe. Unlike Wordperfect, however, which was actually sabotaged by MS with undocumented Windows calls that only Word could address, RIM has simply not kept up. Like Wordperfect, RIM's attempts to "catch up" may be supplying its loyal customers with a worse product than the one they already have. Really? DM7 cannot sync as well as DM6?

I have an upgrade now on VZW and have looked at the Galaxy Nexus and Razr MAXX, as well as the iPhone. They all have their drawbacks but they do offer some advances. I am having a hard time figuring out how a a Bold 9930 or a Torch 9850 is an "upgrade" to my Bold 9650. OS7 vs OS6? I only ditched my Curve 8900 becasue it could not run OS 6. Was there really that much of an advance fron OS5?

Oh, and I do have Wordperfect X5 today as well as Office 2010 Professsional. I bought the WPX5 at Fry's and received a 100% MIR. The software is still in its box. I supsect my Bold 9650 will go the same route, maintained on my family plan as an extra $9.99 line.
    02-16-12 02:06 PM
    So go with a different device. If you find something your satisfied with, good for you. Different strokes for different folks
    bitek likes this.
    02-16-12 02:17 PM
    As long as you enjoy what ever you pick up, more power to ya.
    02-16-12 02:20 PM
    Only difference is that on the Wordperfect example you are speaking with hindsight while on RIM you are speaking with foresight. Hindsight is 20/20, foresight not so much.

RIM is adapting in a very dynamic smartphone market. They were slow to move, but they gathered a lot of forward momentum when they realised what's happening and bought assets which would make them competitive again. Will they fail or die is 50% as of now, kind of like your foresight is 10/20.
    02-16-12 02:21 PM
    I see your point, and you took the time to write a good article.

But a lot of this has been repeated and repeated, and RIM is already adapting in the ways your talking about them being slow to adapt.

give it some more time people!
    CDM76 and notataloss like this.
    02-16-12 02:23 PM
    Its only natural for the one on top to decline at some point in time.

Remember they were the only ones with the compelling product that everyone wanted and in short time they had comptetion all around them.

Even if RIM came out with BB10 2 or even 3 years ago I'm sure they would still be seeing a decline in market share. Not as bad as we are seeing now but still bad enough that the stock market would be killing them.

Do I think they will be going the way of Wordperfect? Not sure. Media sure makes it out to be. As long as BlackBerry pushes hard and doesn't take a break or make anymore missteps I think they will stay in the game for sure but I don't think they will ever have the glory they once had.
    CDM76 likes this.
    02-16-12 02:26 PM
    Maybe I am missing something but there appear to be a great number of posts in several threads that the upgrade simply does not play well with WIN7 Professional 64bt (really not that cutting edge) and the synchroniozation of contacts and calendars simply hangs. How does this demonstrate that "RIM is adapting in a very dynamic smartphone market," as one reply puts it?
    02-16-12 02:32 PM
    Enjoy your new phone. Bye.
    SK122387, bbvj, Pdinos3 and 1 others like this.
    02-16-12 02:43 PM
    Maybe I am missing something but what does Windows 7, contacts, and calendars have anything to do with "RIM is adapting in a very dynamic smartphone market"?
    02-16-12 02:44 PM
    I loved word perfect. It was the very first program I learned. I loved the reveal codes. That turned out to be cumbersome in the technology world. Things progressed. Word came along. It was easier, it was faster, it had spell check.

RIM is doing the same thing. Learning from mistakes, evolving. I run Win7, 64 bit (home, not professional) and sure it has trouble sometimes, and workarounds are needed.

A. In the software industry, you fix one, you break 10. That's the reality. It's never going to be perfect.

B. Those issues you mention are not necessarily just RIM. Win7 has its own set of troubles (like any other platform)

C. Workarounds are what crackberrians do best (just look at the leaked, hybrid and PB rooting forums which are specifically designed for that purpose). I think that’s maybe EXACTLY why the loyal BB fans are so loyal. BECAUSE we can hack and manipulate. Maybe we do it JUST TO SEE if we can. Who knows.

But the truth is, it’s a completely different ball game than iphone or droid. You have to decide what it is that you want from your device and where’s the line you’re not willing to cross. Those of us here don’t mind tinkering, in fact, we love it. If you don’t, perhaps another device will suit your needs/wants/preferences more.

Only you can know that. You can't bride/cajole/pay me to switch. That's what I know.
    02-16-12 02:50 PM
    Maybe I am missing something but there appear to be a great number of posts in several threads that the upgrade simply does not play well with WIN7 Professional 64bt (really not that cutting edge) and the synchroniozation of contacts and calendars simply hangs. How does this demonstrate that "RIM is adapting in a very dynamic smartphone market," as one reply puts it?
    sorry to use an eye for an eye mentalitly here but i think it stacks up well against the itunes bloatware.

Its just funny how we can use overally generalized statements like " rim is failing to adapt in a dynamic smart phone market " because of some issues of software hang, which i havent experinced myself but am not saying is not true.
    02-16-12 02:54 PM
    Did Blackberry achieve its position in the enterprise and government "BECAUSE we can hack and manipulate?" Perhaps I am mistaken but I thought Blackberry was the tool of choice in business and government in part because of its security. If one wants to hack away at a phone, Android would appear to be the preferred choice.
    02-16-12 03:08 PM
    Reading stories like these, a fine story followed by someone saying they're leaving BlackBerry, is like reading those magazines at the checkout aisle in the grocery store. I don't know why I spend a few minutes reading them, but I do, and I'm always asking myself why I read the story, and why it was even written.
    bbvj likes this.
    02-16-12 03:41 PM
    My original post did not say I am leaving Blackberry. It said specifically that I did not see the current Blackberries offered by VZW as an upgrade from my Bold 9650. I expressed some concern that Blackberry is not getting better but worse (my citations to the several threads on the board regarding DM7) just as WP for Windows 6 (and 7) were inferior products to WP 5.1 for DOS. I came on to the board to find some information on the direction of RIM as opposed to "Enjoy your new phone. Bye." as one of the more insightful posters wrote.

My Bold 9650 handles my e-mail as did my 8900, 8703 and whatever 7000 series I had. Until I had my Bold 9650, I carried two phones becasue I needed secure e-mail communications. Whenever I ask anyone using an iPhone or Droid how their devices handle their e-mail, and specifically push, the response is always "Fine." Of course when you drill down, these users hardly even know what I am asking.

The risk for Blackberry is whether Android or iOS ever manages to replicate Blackberry's e-mail management "good enough for government work," and apparently some governments are making that judgment. The posters who say Blackberry will be "fine" appear to ignore that possiblity and resemble too much the users of the other ecosystems I have asked for insight.
    02-16-12 04:21 PM
    If you went with a 9930 to replace your 9650, I think that you'd see a pretty substantial improvement over OS6. I went from a 9780 to a 9900, and while I was pretty much just expecting an updated 9000, I was pleasantly surprised on just how much better the whole BlackBerry experience is. In OS7, RIM has addressed many of the gripes that BlackBerry users had, or pointed to as reasons for leaving for iOS or Androod. The web browsing is just as good on OS7 as it is on Android or an iPhone. The hourglass is a thing of the past and the only time I do a battery pull is to let a leaked OS "settle in."

I don't know when or if Android or iOS will catch up to BlackBerry's level of email excellence. I think a big reason that government and corporations are allowing employees to bring their own device or are purchasing iPhones or Androids in bulk is because the employees use them as personal devices. It would also save companies money..letting people bring in devices their own devices that they're more comfortable with, and also not costing the company a dime.

For lots of people, being able to send and receive an email is all the email functionality they need. Like Thorsten Heins said, it might one security breach for big companies to realize that secure email and messaging outweighs making employees happy by letting them bring in their iPhone with a crazy case.
    BrizzadMan and notataloss like this.
    02-16-12 05:20 PM
    Both Android and iPhone handle push emails as well as a BB. I'd say... If I send an email it appears on both my ipad and Android phone within seconds.

The rest of "handle email well" is up to the email app Or guess, and there's a plethora of those if you don't like the stock option...
    02-16-12 05:41 PM
    Word was around before WordPerfect. Personally, I have fond memories of WordStar, which also ruled for a while, and Perfect Writer, which came bundled with my Kaypro II. Those were good times...

Anyway, I think the analogy with WordPerfect is useful, if only as one reminder among many of how swiftly fortunes can change in the tech world. But they can change in both directions, as Apple has demonstrated.

I expect RIM will push out a patch to DM soon. The success of BB10 will be dependent on too many factors to predict, not the least of which will be the presence of the "name" apps that give a platform gravitas. One hopes that RIM is lining up these ducks as we debate this.
    02-16-12 06:04 PM
    "....as marginal products as other tablets are to the iPad."

Don't agree.
    02-16-12 06:15 PM
    I look forward to your whining posts on imore forums and androidcentral forums about the bugs in their software.

To each their own, if your going the Android route checkout HTC Amaze, my brother got it last week. HTC Sense UI rocks!
    As with my brother's complaints, be prepared to lower your expectations on battery life or invest in one of those mini-brick sized batteries, ha so much for a slim phone.

As I struggled to install DM7 and read the threads noting that sync is poorer on DM7 than on DM6, it seemed I had seen this play before. To many the mention of Wordperfect might elicit a "huh?" but Wordperfect once ruled the enterprise in a way even Blackberry never achieved. Wordperfect even had the killer feature, "Reveal Codes," that cemented its users' loyalty in a way that even Blackberry's mastery of e-mail management has not developed in its users. All other wordprocessors, and especially Word, were as marginal products as other tablets are to the iPad.

Alas, Wordperfect was slow to adapt to the Windows world much as RIM has been to the consumer/apps/touchscreen universe. Unlike Wordperfect, however, which was actually sabotaged by MS with undocumented Windows calls that only Word could address, RIM has simply not kept up. Like Wordperfect, RIM's attempts to "catch up" may be supplying its loyal customers with a worse product than the one they already have. Really? DM7 cannot sync as well as DM6?

I have an upgrade now on VZW and have looked at the Galaxy Nexus and Razr MAXX, as well as the iPhone. They all have their drawbacks but they do offer some advances. I am having a hard time figuring out how a a Bold 9930 or a Torch 9850 is an "upgrade" to my Bold 9650. OS7 vs OS6? I only ditched my Curve 8900 becasue it could not run OS 6. Was there really that much of an advance fron OS5?

Oh, and I do have Wordperfect X5 today as well as Office 2010 Professsional. I bought the WPX5 at Fry's and received a 100% MIR. The software is still in its box. I supsect my Bold 9650 will go the same route, maintained on my family plan as an extra $9.99 line.
    02-16-12 06:24 PM
    Per your advice, I will check out the 9930 the next time I am in a VZW store. You post was vastly more illuminating than, for example, "what does Windows 7, contacts, and calendars have anything to do with "RIM is adapting in a very dynamic smartphone market"? They must have something to do with RIM since the problem is now the opening item on the Crackberry home page.
    02-16-12 07:20 PM
    Both Android and iPhone handle push emails as well as a BB. I'd say... If I send an email it appears on both my ipad and Android phone within seconds.

The rest of "handle email well" is up to the email app Or guess, and there's a plethora of those if you don't like the stock option...
    Do either of those platforms actually push e-mail? From what I can tell, they really only "fetch." One apparently can set "fetch" to, say, every 15 minutes, but it may still be delayed.

I also have multiplr e-mail accounts. I understand iOS does not handle multiple accounts well.
    02-16-12 07:27 PM
    I look forward to your whining posts on imore forums and androidcentral forums about the bugs in their software.

To each their own, if your going the Android route checkout HTC Amaze, my brother got it last week. HTC Sense UI rocks!
    As with my brother's complaints, be prepared to lower your expectations on battery life or invest in one of those mini-brick sized batteries, ha so much for a slim phone.
    Are these users "whiners" as well, or just Blackberry users dealing with a poorly beta tested "official" release?

http://crackberry.com/latest-blackbe...ackberry-users
    02-16-12 07:31 PM
    Funny thread. Glad you found a phone you like. Bye.
    02-16-12 07:36 PM
    Funny thread. Glad you found a phone you like. Bye.
    Glad you liked the thread but apparently you did not read it all As it stands now, I jave not found a phone I like. That is why I am reading the Mobile Nations boards. For yhe time being, I will just keep my Bold 9650. I may add another phone, since I have carried two phones before, as I mentioned in this thread.

From this thread, I have determined how some posters achieve so many posts. Apparently, a post counts when all it (and the poster can) say is "Bye."
    02-16-12 07:42 PM
    Glad you liked the thread but apparently you did not read it all As it stands now, I jave not found a phone I like. That is why I am reading the Mobile Nations boards. For yhe time being, I will just keep my Bold 9650. I may add another phone, since I have carried two phones before, as I mentioned in this thread.

From this thread, I have determined how some posters achieve so many posts. Apparently, a post counts when all it (and the poster can) say is "Bye."

With a title like that I don't think it would be possible for anyone to care what phone you get, or where you put it.

Posted from my WordPerfect
    Last edited by olblueyez; 02-16-12 at 08:23 PM.
    BB10FTW likes this.
    02-16-12 08:06 PM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD