This is awesome! My girlfriend bought a Blackberry Curve 8900 about half a year ago now with Rogers up here in Canada . We were out at Sauble Beach yesterday (which from the air looks almost Caribbean I tell you!) . So yes, it WAS a little chilly and she had a hoodie on as we walked the shore (which is what she kept the phone in). Now as we both got about half-knee height down into the water, she decided to bend and put her pretty hands in.

This is the exciting part. As she did that I saw the phone slide out of her pocket and slowly fall towards the water. I screamed the eff word as this happened, and then SPLASH! With the waves coming in and the sand in the water trying to wash everything away, we frantically reached for the phone and pulled it out after being submerged for about 6-7 seconds.

We restarted the phone and it worked properly for about half an hour. Now all that's left is a phone that turns on but doesn't have a functioning keyboard/trackball. So we can't really get it to do much. But hey, it's a Blackberry that survived! ...and that's the tale of Blackberry Beach Survival!
    09-03-09 08:23 AM
    You didn't restart it wet, did you?
    09-03-09 08:35 AM
    Open the phone up and take out the battery, blow drye it witha hair blow dryer but no too hot do this for about 5 mins...see if it wrks, it worked for my cousin but it was in the sink not the beach, is worth the try tho
    09-03-09 08:35 AM
    Open the phone up and take out the battery, blow drye it witha hair blow dryer but no too hot do this for about 5 mins...see if it wrks, it worked for my cousin but it was in the sink not the beach, is worth the try tho
    Do you think that would still work now though? The phone is on as we speak, and it's been about 16 hours since this happened. I would assume the battery is dry, and how would that affect only the keyboard stuff not working? It's worth a shot though! TY
    09-03-09 08:37 AM
    You didn't restart it wet, did you?
    I thought it was pretty dry when we restarted it
    09-03-09 08:38 AM
    It is probably too late for this phone. Even if it was dry when you ******** it, even if you dry it out in a bag of uncooked rice (the time-honored treatment for a wet phone), even if it starts working again, I fear it will all be temporary because the salt will almost certainly cause long-term corrosion leading to failure.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-03-09 08:51 AM
    The rice is the best way to go - beats blow drying even. But like above poster said...the salt might make things still not work.
    But cool that it still worked somewhat!

09-03-09 09:45 AM
    It is probably too late for this phone. Even if it was dry when you ******** it, even if you dry it out in a bag of uncooked rice (the time-honored treatment for a wet phone), even if it starts working again, I fear it will all be temporary because the salt will almost certainly cause long-term corrosion leading to failure.

Sauble beach is on a lake so no salt water.
    09-03-09 09:49 AM
    It could have possibly been saved if the device had not been powered on and was allowed to dry out using the rice trick mentioned already. I have had to do this on 2-3 phones and it has worked everytime.

The biggest thing is cutting the power (removing battery) and not powering it up until everything is dried out.
    09-03-09 09:58 AM
    Man give it a try! I had a sont wricsson t630 (I think) and it dropped in coffee, a bowl of SALSA, I got pushed in a pool with it, and dropped it in a little mud in a rain storm. And it got submerged every time. It didn't work for a day or 2 but after I took it apart and let it dry out, it worked man. Give it a try. What will it hurt? Good luck man, let us know how it goes.

09-03-09 10:31 AM
    That was supposed to say sony ericsson, sorry

09-03-09 10:32 AM
    Haha, I love eating rice though. This means all that perfectly good rice will go to waste.

Well I guess I could sacrifice a little rice for her sake haha.

How would you guys think it would work in terms of getting a replacement phone? The sticker on the battery is still white, and she called in many times before, but never got the chance to call in the last time for a replacement device. This is Rogers Wireless we're talking about by the way...
    09-03-09 10:52 AM
    Oh and as for the rice method... would I be submerging the phone into the rice, or just laying it onto rice? Does this need to be a sealed environment or just in the open? A bowl, or a ziplock?

I never heard of this method before but it sounds pretty interesting... I wonder how it works.
    09-03-09 10:54 AM
    Rice tends to draw moisture out of anywhere. I would submerge it in the rice. In a ziplock bag, or sealed tupperware or something, so the rice is pulling moisture from the phone only and not out of the air. You use quite a bit of rice, to totally submerge it, but its worth it. As for the replacement thing I'm not sure, but I would give it a try.

09-03-09 10:59 AM
    Oh and as for the rice method... would I be submerging the phone into the rice, or just laying it onto rice? Does this need to be a sealed environment or just in the open? A bowl, or a ziplock?

I never heard of this method before but it sounds pretty interesting... I wonder how it works.
    Uncooked rice naturally absorbs water, in humid climates people but a little in their salt shaker to keep the salt from dissolving and clumping together. To dry out a BB place it on top of a cup or 2 of rice and seal it in a Ziplok bag, the rice will absorb all the water vapor in the bag, including that which is in the BB.
    09-03-09 11:04 AM
    submerged

ziplock bag

rice absorbs water.....
    09-03-09 12:27 PM
    Wow surprised it still works wouldn't give it long though

09-03-09 12:36 PM
    Not gonna lie you are pretty stupid for restarting it after pulling it out of the water. Water is the kryptonite of electronics, if any electronic device ever gets wet rule #1 is to turn it off immediately and pull the battery out. You need to let it dry for at least 24-48 hours before you turn it back on, if not the water inside the device will cause short circuits and there goes your money out the door. The reason the trackball and keyboard aren't working is because they are short circuited by water, you didn't let it dry...dumb move
    09-03-09 01:24 PM
    Not gonna lie you are pretty stupid for restarting it after pulling it out of the water. Water is the kryptonite of electronics, if any electronic device ever gets wet rule #1 is to turn it off immediately and pull the battery out. You need to let it dry for at least 24-48 hours before you turn it back on, if not the water inside the device will cause short circuits and there goes your money out the door. The reason the trackball and keyboard aren't working is because they are short circuited by water, you didn't let it dry...dumb move
    Okay... I'm stupid, and you're extremely smart buddy.
    09-03-09 09:30 PM
    Nice survival story!
    09-03-09 09:33 PM
    It's not too late to save it!

Go to Canadian Tire ASAP and in the automotive aisles, look for Motomaster brand ELECTRICAL CONTACT CLEANER. It'll be in red & black spray can, a little smaller than a WD40 can. (**DO NOT USE WD40!!!**)

Electrical contact cleaner is amazing. All you do is spray it on, and it scrubs away any corrosion or dirt as gravity pulls it down, then, it simply evaporates, leaving the dirt/corrosion at the lowest point.

My friend dropped her Ipod in the sink and totally killed it. I took it home, drenched it in electrical conact cleaner (after blow drying it for quite some time) and then it fried right up without ANY problems.

Make sure your phone is OFF. Hold your phone up vertically, mask off the screen (the spray might leave residue on the inside which will be a b1tch to remove) and then spray the cleaner all over the ball and keys, while pressing and moving them, to help scrub off any corrosion or dirt.

A can is $5-10 bucks. It's well worth a try - it worked for me.
    09-04-09 02:25 AM
    It's not too late to save it!

Go to Canadian Tire ASAP and in the automotive aisles, look for Motomaster brand ELECTRICAL CONTACT CLEANER. It'll be in red & black spray can, a little smaller than a WD40 can. (**DO NOT USE WD40!!!**)

Electrical contact cleaner is amazing. All you do is spray it on, and it scrubs away any corrosion or dirt as gravity pulls it down, then, it simply evaporates, leaving the dirt/corrosion at the lowest point.

My friend dropped her Ipod in the sink and totally killed it. I took it home, drenched it in electrical conact cleaner (after blow drying it for quite some time) and then it fried right up without ANY problems.

Make sure your phone is OFF. Hold your phone up vertically, mask off the screen (the spray might leave residue on the inside which will be a b1tch to remove) and then spray the cleaner all over the ball and keys, while pressing and moving them, to help scrub off any corrosion or dirt.

A can is $5-10 bucks. It's well worth a try - it worked for me.
    Thats an awesome idea! I never heard of that before... it would be pretty useful to have at home! Thanks for your help!
    09-04-09 07:48 AM
    After the phone has been in the rice for a week or so....will it then be Phoney Rice?
    Last edited by FloridaDude; 09-04-09 at 01:19 PM.
    09-04-09 01:16 PM
    My brother dropped his Curve in a cup of milk. After a couple hours of surgery, it survived.
    09-04-09 05:15 PM
    Haha, phoney rice
    09-06-09 02:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD